1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some pointers from a friend that worked WAI

Discussion in 'Airline Pilots' started by Derg, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Derg

Derg Naval Intelligence, MCRN Staff Member

American's recruitment team wasn't there in 2017. They're actually who sparked the exodus last year.

2. pete2800

pete2800 'Member?

tiredcfi likes this.
  3. Dphoenix

Dphoenix Love lasagna, hate mondays

pete2800 likes this.
  4. Hacker15e

Hacker15e Virtue Signaling Intersectional Nonbinary Otherkin

A room full of tipsy-to-hammered fighter pilots pontificating about what a young, un-amed fighter pilot should be called from that day forward.

5. pete2800

pete2800 'Member?

Yeah, that's one way to get off probation really fast!

Dphoenix likes this.
  6. AAPalmTree

AAPalmTree Well-Known Member

Not following you.

7. learhawkerbe400

learhawkerbe400 Well-Known Member

Just more evidence that AA is industry-leading.

8. Kingairer

Kingairer Well-Known Member

Well half the newhires at AA they are forced to take so recruitment probably less necessary.

9. PhilosopherPilot

PhilosopherPilot Well-Known Member

I disagree. Your ability as a pilot is FAR more than ability to keep the dirty side down. If you are a total jerk, you are unsafe. Well rounded people are going to be more flexible in various work situations, and better equipped to adapt to a dynamic environment. If all you ever focus on is flying, you're missing the point.

BTW, the "sweet spot" in our training program seems to be about 2000 hours. Training performance begins to suffer as flight time increases. Do with that what you will.

Screaming_Emu, milleR and Derg like this.
  10. Derg

I know it's going to hurt some of the numerical entitlement crowd, but it's "qualitative" and not "quantitative".

If you show up to the carrier you want to work for with the attitude that "Well, I have the flight time, why haven't you called?" you're not going to have a good day.

Screaming_Emu, phill1174 and milleR like this.
  11. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Navajo Whisperer

This is purely outside looking in, but I would venture a guess that it's not an either/or proposition as some seem to insinuate. I don't know much, but I HAVE seen a lot of pilots cycle through our company (an operation that has a yuuuge amount of facetime with the customers) and we want folks who can fly the hell out of an airplane AND comfort nervous first time fliers, treat the frequent fliers with respect, treat the CSAs/dispatch/maintenance/ramp with professionalism and respect when The Plan is all going to hell, etc, etc, etc. I've only known a few who met those desired qualifications though, and either they stay on and move up in the company, or they zip on through up and out.

12. milleR

milleR Well-Known Member

(Caveat: I'm making an assumption that you're running a 135 with piston twins, single pilot authorization.)

What you described is exactly the kind of person you're looking for in a 135 operation or part 91, and they're getting harder to find from I'm seeing.

Airlines are a bit different though. You hire the person and then teach them to fly the plane. SOP's are set in stone and adherence is either met or it isn't. That's why they have such an extensive training department. They have the luxury of hiring the person and assuming they have the skills to make it through training. A multi-crew environment is designed to check and recheck. A single pilot operation is much more reliant on getting "good pilots" in the seat from the get-go.

You can train most people to be good pilots. You can't train anybody not to be an arsehole.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Yakob, killbilly and bimmerphile like this.
  13. Derg

You would be very entertained about a social media post where the internet exploded because I was wearing a uniform coat when it was cold and EGADS got a wheelchair for a passenger in order to commence boarding. :)

Screaming_Emu likes this.
  14. Cptnchia

Cptnchia Well-Known Member

More like a gnash cluster formed.

Toobdrvr and Derg like this.
  15. Cptnchia

^^^This is the Internet "Truth of the Day!"^^^^

Adler likes this.
  16. Derg

We'd probably still be sitting there with 160 people waiting to board because no one actually, you know, took the initiative to roll the passenger off the airplane.

I will do my best to make the Faceweb rage today with righteous indignation. :)

Toobdrvr likes this.
  17. Cptnchia

I got your six! As for the cost, I was taking some things to the dry cleaners and almost took it too, then thought, "Winter finally came. Self, you might want to wear it another week or so."

Derg likes this.
  18. Derg

Plus, at home it's 90F. Everywhere else I fly it's in the 30's at most except for short turns in FL.

Huge cockpit, warm on my northeast walk arounds and I don't look like an lunatic waiting for Golden Touch shivering in short sleeves in the ice floes!

Cptnchia likes this.
  19. Cptnchia

I got CQ this weekend. Hopefully it'll warm up before I have to go to work again next week.

20. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Navajo Whisperer

I saw that one.

Derg and killbilly like this.