1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some pointers from a friend that worked WAI

Discussion in 'Airline Pilots' started by Derg, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Derg

Derg Naval Intelligence, MCRN Staff Member

Of course!

2. broncoav8r

broncoav8r Well-Known Member

Little late, but hey, what the hell.

@jtrain609 is right ( did I just feel a cool draft from hell)

I came to Michigan 10 years ago thinking I would make the best of it. Left 3 years ago thinking I would never come back. Had all the choices of places to live in the US, and where did I come back to? You flipping guessed it. Btw I'm on my like 4th tubing trip of the year thru downtown Ann Arbor. Life is fantastic.

(And don't let Jtrains characterization of outdoor activities discourage you, its just the Zionist elitism seeping in.) Spring/summer/fall in Michigan is outstanding, and winter? It's still warmer than anything minniesooooottttaaaaaa.

3. Ayork62493

Ayork62493 GBR

For the record, I'm showing her all of these posts. I really like the idea of being detriot based some day, a wide variety of flying. Obviously that is subject to change. I would miss the Rockies, no doubt about that but spending everything on rent, having no hope of finding a two bedroom house for less than 500K, sitting in traffic at all times of the day make it hard for me to envision staying here for the long haul.

4. m77y

m77y Well-Known Member

My wife is from Michigan and we now live in West Virginia. She grew up an hour north west of Detroit and were already talking about moving to Michigan in the next few years. I had a negative perception of the state but I've grown to love it. Especially spending time up north.

5. broncoav8r

@Ayork62493 Take your wife to Traverse City in the late spring/summer. She'll start packing the second you get home

6. wheelsup

wheelsup Well-Known Member

And she'll repack in November when it's snowing and 20*.

Derg likes this.
  7. broncoav8r

I never said live there year ROUND...and thats what travel bennies are for...

Adler likes this.
  8. FlySooner9

FlySooner9 Well-Known Member

I have the opportunity to become an Assistant Chief Flight Instructor at an AABI approved pt 141 University flight school. It would be a bit of a hassle to do the check rides with the FAA to gain my in house examiner certification. My question is would this be of any great value on applications/resumes for the majors? This would be a side job of sorts after my pt 91 corporate job.

9. JetDoc

JetDoc Delta profit sharing contributor.

This question is a lot like people asking about volunteering. Everyone asks if it helps, others say yes then people go and do it and as soon as their butt is in a chair in IDOC, going to the pound or the soup kitchen stops. My advice, which is as about as valuable as a wooden nickel is to do it because you WANT to not because you feel that it may give you some sort of an advantage, otherwise you're just mailing it in.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Cloud Surfer likes this.
  10. Cloud Surfer

Cloud Surfer Slinger of the Gear

Exactly. Pilots are getting way too worked up about working for a legacy. It's starting to grow MAJOR old. I'm sick and tired of spending my four day trips hearing my captains whine why Delta hasn't called. Enjoy the flying, dang it. They should complain to their wives (it's all men doing the complaining) and spare me the diatribe. I want to enjoy my flying career and wherever I end up, who cares!!

11. Kingairer

Kingairer Well-Known Member

I agree to smell the roses along the way, but don't lose your drive to get to the next level. It cost me a few years of seniority.

FlySooner9 and Yakob like this.
  12. L-16B

L-16B Well-Known Member

Why is it getting MAJOR old? Just do more to get their first. Those guys that whine that much are the type that don't try enough

13. Toobdrvr

Toobdrvr State of the Bad-Assed Art

Perspective.

Cloud Surfer likes this.
  14. Adler

Adler Low-Level Individual

Disagree.

JetDoc and Toobdrvr like this.
  15. Cloud Surfer

Cloud Surfer Slinger of the Gear

Oh, for sure, my man. I will be doing whatever I can to make myself better on paper and certainly applying everywhere is the wisest approach in my humble opinion. I don't care whether it's Delta or another good major, LCC, ULCC, or ACMI. I just have very low expectations career-wise, given that I fly with so many high-time applicants not being picked up by anyone--some of them have very impressive backgrounds, too. Meanwhile we all hear stories of run-of-the-mill 3000 hr regional FO of the most average background in this industry hired by Delta because he went to a job fair. There isn't any logic behind it. No point in stressing this out. I am just glad that I am flying airplanes for a living even if I am making average, unimpressive income.

mwflyer likes this.
  16. Autothrust Blue

Autothrust Blue "This is a God damn waste of time!"

I would.

But I also live in MSP.

17. broncoav8r

and moved there from CA. I think we can agree your barometer for deciding what is a livable climate is throughly whack...:D

Adler and BigZ like this.
  18. BobDDuck

BobDDuck Gone whale watching...

I really miss that and Zingermans Deli.