Social Distancing

Flagship_dxer

Legacy Airline Dispatcher
As flying gradually increases every month, the desks that are active now will see an increase in the number of flights. The virus will likely be with us for quite a while. Best case scenario is late next year for a vaccine. Operations centers were designed with the pre-virus world in mind and redesigns will be costly in an era where saving money is so important. If flying keeps increasing every month, social distancing will need to be reduced or dispatchers will need to make the choice to work more flights on fewer desks.

The CARES act money restrictions end in October. Airlines wont be paying dispatchers their full wages to sit on call or not show up like they are doing now. There will likely be furloughs just based on flying alone but keeping the number of people in the office lower to maintain social distancing will mean increasing the numbers on the streets or pay being reduced through less hours/days worked.

Will dispatchers sacrifice jobs, money or social distancing? Will dispatchers accept higher workload to maintain social distancing? Can other workgroups like scheduling or maintenance be moved elsewhere to allow more dispatchers to be spread out?

PuddlePirate

Been working at both the OCC and backup. Even when rosters completely recover, there will still be plenty of room to social distance people between both facilities. Scheduling along with other departments have and will continue to work from home.
As for people at other airlines who might have to make a choice between social distancing and pay or workload, I think most would sacrifice social distancing. It would be just returning to normal working conditions. For those that are high risk, stay home. Most of us have families to feed and would choose to stay employed at their normal salary.

ATLiens

As flying gradually increases every month, the desks that are active now will see an increase in the number of flights. The virus will likely be with us for quite a while. Best case scenario is late next year for a vaccine. Operations centers were designed with the pre-virus world in mind and redesigns will be costly in an era where saving money is so important. If flying keeps increasing every month, social distancing will need to be reduced or dispatchers will need to make the choice to work more flights on fewer desks.

The CARES act money restrictions end in October. Airlines wont be paying dispatchers their full wages to sit on call or not show up like they are doing now. There will likely be furloughs just based on flying alone but keeping the number of people in the office lower to maintain social distancing will mean increasing the numbers on the streets or pay being reduced through less hours/days worked.

Will dispatchers sacrifice jobs, money or social distancing? Will dispatchers accept higher workload to maintain social distancing? Can other workgroups like scheduling or maintenance be moved elsewhere to allow more dispatchers to be spread out?

There has been a lot of momentum lately that a vaccine will be ready by fall and Dr. Fauci saying it’s not out of the question to have a wide spread vaccine as early as January. So hopefully this information is true and helps save our jobs or at least shortens the period we are furloughed. I’d imagine if a vaccine was imminent for Jan- next spring and summer would have a very high traffic demand

who'swho

Don't hesitate. Penetrate!
There has been a lot of momentum lately that a vaccine will be ready by fall and Dr. Fauci saying it’s not out of the question to have a wide spread vaccine as early as January. So hopefully this information is true and helps save our jobs or at least shortens the period we are furloughed. I’d imagine if a vaccine was imminent for Jan- next spring and summer would have a very high traffic demand
Lufthansa is bringing back 80 of their parked aircraft due to demand. That's good news. They will still only have 160 active.

Green12324

Personally I don't see this being much of an issue. At least where I work there's about 6 feet between people sitting at work stations anyway. The common areas would be the bigger issue.

As the need for more staffing increases it makes sense that the concern about the virus/need for distancing would be decreasing.

If it came down to it I think the safety benefit of a dispatcher with an appropriate workload is greater than the risk of an individual violating strict social distancing. Obviously pilots can't comply with social distancing in the cockpit, nor can dispatchers doing a route qual. Ultimately aviation safety is more important than social distancing for us professionals.

If there does arise a state or local requirement to limit occupancy then the folks who are currently working from home could keep doing it. To be honest though since airlines are essential businesses I'd imagine they'd be exempt from such orders (same as they are exempt from the current closures.)

Last edited: