So many questions, only one title

nibake

Powder hound
Ok, there's really just 5 for now.

1) Logbook tabs: recommendations for neat ways to tab a log book, and exactly what things you should tab? Not really an artsy-fartsy person.

2) "Major checking events" - what meets this defition? Every ride that was for a rating or certificate plus initial training that involved FAA rides (135/121)?

3) Logbook summary sheet - what would you put on the logbook summary? I read that some who did interview prep got good guidance for this. Is there a template out there?

4) Resume template - Cage uses a very plain template in the book as an example. I like the idea. Does anyone have a template similar to the example? If not making one isn't the end of the world.

5) Training failure question - In short, my check airman said I shouldn't say I unsatted if asked, I think I should. Here is what happened: I got behind the airplane on SE ILS and didn't have props full forward when I landed. Lifting the power levers was enough to make him say I needed to redo that maneuver because reverse is prohibited without props full forward. I redid the maneuver right then and there, apparently that is allowed on a 135 intial ride and everything was fine. He went on to say that I shouldn't worry about it since it will show that I passed, however he would write in the notes that I redid a maneuver. He also commented that I may have unsatted one maneuver, but I passed the ride as a whole. I honestly don't know whether to say that I had a failure or not based on that advice. I feel like if I unsat a maneuver even though I'm allowed to redo it and pass, that is still a training failure. The last thing I want to say in an interview is "I really don't know whether I passed or failed!" o_O Thoughts?

MikeFavinger

Hubschrauber Flieger
It might help to know what airline you're interviewing with to answer some of these, but I'll do the best I can. Standard disclaimer - I'm just dude who has interviewed before and am no interview consultant.

1) Logbook tabs: recommendations for neat ways to tab a log book, and exactly what things you should tab? Not really an artsy-fartsy person.

I just used basic tabs, hand wrote the event, and put it on the page. I'll attach a pic. One is my paper logbook, the other my printed electronic logbook.

2) "Major checking events" - what meets this defition? Every ride that was for a rating or certificate plus initial training that involved FAA rides (135/121)?

This is certainly airline specific, but at my last interview they were interested in only certificates and ratings. They had a check sheet and checked off PPL, Inst, CSEL, CMEL, etc. Once they got to ATP he mentioned that probably wouldn't be in my logbook because it was in the sim - they know most don't log simulator events.

3) Logbook summary sheet - what would you put on the logbook summary? I read that some who did interview prep got good guidance for this. Is there a template out there?

I didn't do one - but I'd assume something similar to the flight time grid at the top of your resume?

4) Resume template - Cage uses a very plain template in the book as an example. I like the idea. Does anyone have a template similar to the example? If not making one isn't the end of the world.

My template isn't simple, but two different interview consultants told me it was "pretty good." They offered to help improve it for a few hundred, but said it was good enough to use as is. I'd be happy to send a version if you send me your email.

5) Training failure question - In short, my check airman said I shouldn't say I unsatted if asked, I think I should. Here is what happened: I got behind the airplane on SE ILS and didn't have props full forward when I landed. Lifting the power levers was enough to make him say I needed to redo that maneuver because reverse is prohibited without props full forward. I redid the maneuver right then and there, apparently that is allowed on a 135 intial ride and everything was fine. He went on to say that I shouldn't worry about it since it will show that I passed, however he would write in the notes that I redid a maneuver. He also commented that I may have unsatted one maneuver, but I passed the ride as a whole. I honestly don't know whether to say that I had a failure or not based on that advice. I feel like if I unsat a maneuver even though I'm allowed to redo it and pass, that is still a training failure. The last thing I want to say in an interview is "I really don't know whether I passed or failed!" o_O Thoughts?

My very unqualified opinion is that unless you failed a training event, you passed. If you did not get a "pink slip", you passed. If you did not have to re-do the ride on another day, you passed. To the best of my knowledge, (but I am no expert), notes from a ride are not included on PRIA records. I just got a copy of my records from my airline and all it lists is each event and the date essentially.

IMG_4922.JPGIMG_4921.JPG

nibake

Powder hound
Thanks. I'm PM you regarding the resume template. I'm going to go ahead with the tabs (I want them to correspond with a summary sheet), so I'm thinking I will tab these things:

private
instrument
commercial
ASES
CFII
141 standardization
Multi
MEI
type/ATP
135 initial
135 instrument currency