Snowbird crash into a neighborhood just after takeoff....

JEP

Malko In Charge
Staff member
I don’t know about you, maybe you can buy food, pay your rent or mortgage, and go to the doctor when you get sick if you don’t work, but for the rest of us, yes, we’re forced to go to work. Also, there’s the continual threat as we are seeing now of “if you don’t be a good boy and work so you can spend money on stuff you don’t need from Amazon and at restaurants and bars, the whole economy comes tumbling down and we’ll let people starve if it does. So remember to consume!”
We will never agree on the definition of force so no need to go back and forth. I choose to do certain things in life as do many others. In order to do that I need to work. I choose to work where I do, doing what I do, to get what I want out of life. Could I do sometime else? Yes. Am I forced to stay where I am now? Nope. Ask my wife and its probably to a fault but I dont give a rats ass about being a good boy and spending money or what others may think i need to.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
I'm 100% on board with mandatory civil service. I don't care if it's military or civilian, but everyone in this country should have skin in the game.
Why is it that literally every time I see someone say this, it is someone who didn't serve themselves? My Dad likes to say that too, and I'm quick to remind him that he wasn't exactly serving his country playing college baseball.

jtrain609

Uniting the black vote.
Why is it that literally every time I see someone say this, it is someone who didn't serve themselves? My Dad likes to say that too, and I'm quick to remind him that he wasn't exactly serving his country playing college baseball.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't know what to tell you, bud. I'd be thrilled my daughters had to go do something like this, whether they chose to join the Marine Corps or do Americorps.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't know what to tell you, bud. I'd be thrilled my daughters had to go do something like this, whether they chose to join the Marine Corps or do Americorps.
Yeah, so would I, but I when I didn't take a path in life, I generally don't insist everyone else take it. I was raised by a WWII Marine, I am very pro-military, but since I didn't serve, I don't feel that I have the right to say that everyone else should.

jtrain609

Uniting the black vote.
Yeah, so would I, but I when I didn't take a path in life, I generally don't insist everyone else take it. I was raised by a WWII Marine, I am very pro-military, but since I didn't serve, I don't feel that I have the right to say that everyone else should.
Same.

Which is why I said military or civilian.

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
Same.

Which is why I said military or civilian.
Maybe a hybrid model with free tuition and preferential hiring (gov't mandated) for those who perform two years of service, be it peace corps, Americorps, military, Teach for America, etc. I could see so many opportunities that the military actually becomes the lesser preferred among them. Don't live up to the requirements, get kicked out - and lose the benefits - simple as that.

jtrain609

Uniting the black vote.
Maybe a hybrid model with free tuition and preferential hiring (gov't mandated) for those who perform two years of service, be it peace corps, Americorps, military, Teach for America, etc. I could see so many opportunities that the military actually becomes the lesser preferred among them. Don't live up to the requirements, get kicked out - and lose the benefits - simple as that.
Israel gives people the choice of the IDF or prison. That seems to work.

Bandit_Driver

Gold Member
Agree 100%

For what it's worth, Despite the huge dollar amount the US DOD spends, it's actually only 3.2% of the GDP which is only slightly above what most economists consider healthy. That number has shrunk dramatically since the 80s.
DoD budget is roughly 718 Billion. Out of that budget the the Blues have a budget of 37M. I'll assume the T-Birds is similar

(64M / 718B)100 = 0.008913% So statistically speaking the program is chump change and provides an excellent return on investment in terms of recruiting, outreach, and PR IMO.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
As for "FREE" college its already there depending on how you define free. I was paid in the Navy and the GI Bill was 'free'. Used TA while in an GI Bill when I got out. my 4 yr degree was free in my eyes.
I meant free for people who don’t want to get shot at so Exxon has better access to oil in order to pay for college.

stroboli62

Holy • I hadn't even thought of that. I wonder if they'd still let me volunteer...
Good Gawd...only if those fat Colonels wanna be there and actually serve than worry about OPSEC, uniform violations, latest bling, etc

Cadets, even under 18 could learn a thing or two...but because of Age 18 rules and variation from State to State...one get the idea(s)

Helll, I know cadets that could outwork even folks at my age

Lawyers and some of the leadership at Maxwell are surely wrapped around an axle about Risk Management more tightly that we normally in aviation have to put up with..... even to the point of an online course called Activity Safety Directors course for activities lasting more than 24-48 hours

How the hell would that stand in the future of real disasters?

I'm sure they let you volley, Jtrain...if they weren't so bent on taking out CFI's LOLOLOL

JEP

Malko In Charge
Staff member
I meant free for people who don’t want to get shot at so Exxon has better access to oil in order to pay for college.
Not once did I ever worry about being shot at but then again I was on a carrier with plenty of protection.....The only tense time I ever had was transiting the Straits of Hormuz when we were under GQ.