Snowbird crash into a neighborhood just after takeoff....

USMCmech

Like wasteful military spending, that is the American way.
I know this will fall on deaf ears, but here you go.

The airframes that are being flown by these teams are obsolete and their next stop is the boneyard. So that is sunk cost, not wasteful spending.

The operational cost of personal, MX, and fuel is well worth it to the respective services because it has a verified positive effect on recruiting. Unless you want to go back to the draft, recruiting/marketing is a necessity.

Murdoughnut

Well sized member

The airframes that are being flown by these teams are obsolete and their next stop is the boneyard. So that is sunk cost, not wasteful spending.

The operational cost of personal, MX, and fuel is well worth it to the respective services because it has a verified positive effect on recruiting. Unless you want to go back to the draft, recruiting/marketing is a necessity.
I'll take a more middle of the road path - I think you're right - it is a strong investment in recruiting (not to mention being bad ass). Just wish we, as a culture, were looking to systematically reduce our military, not grow it.

JEP

Malko In Charge
Staff member

Yup the 'NEW' F18's the Blues are getting (for the 2021 show season) were headed to the boneyard. Not to mention these individuals would still be getting paid by the Navy/AF regardless if they were attached to an air wing or the Blues.

jtrain609

Uniting the black vote.

I'm 100% on board with mandatory civil service. I don't care if it's military or civilian, but everyone in this country should have skin in the game.

Call it a year or two after high school. Force kids to play nice with their fellow Americans and find out how everyone else lives and figure out how to work together. It'd be one hell of a social equalizer.

USMCmech

I'll take a more middle of the road path - I think you're right - it is a strong investment in recruiting (not to mention being bad ass). Just wish we, as a culture, were looking to systematically reduce our military, not grow it.
Agree 100%

For what it's worth, Despite the huge dollar amount the US DOD spends, it's actually only 3.2% of the GDP which is only slightly above what most economists consider healthy. That number has shrunk dramatically since the 80s.

JEP

Malko In Charge
Staff member
I'm 100% on board with mandatory civil service. I don't care if it's military or civilian, but everyone in this country should have skin in the game.

Call it a year or two after high school. Force kids to play nice with their fellow Americans and find out how everyone else lives and figure out how to work together. It'd be one hell of a social equalizer.
That sounds nice in theory but having served in the Navy (and my son serving now) that last thing I want (or he wants) along side us is someone who was 'forced' to be there. We have more than enough volunteers. It's a great option.

JEP

Malko In Charge
Staff member
If “free” college becomes a thing that might change. But as @jtrain609 said it doesn’t have to be military service.

Military or civilian service...I dont want to serve in any role alongside someone who was forced to be there. As for "FREE" college its already there depending on how you define free. I was paid in the Navy and the GI Bill was 'free'. Used TA while in an GI Bill when I got out. my 4 yr degree was free in my eyes.

jtrain609

Uniting the black vote.
That sounds nice in theory but having served in the Navy (and my son serving now) that last thing I want (or he wants) along side us is someone who was 'forced' to be there. We have more than enough volunteers. It's a great option.
We beat back fascism in WWII with the draft. Seemed to work pretty well. In fact, fascism is on the rise again. Seems like the perfect timing to me.

Skåning

Except people would try to get out of it...kinda like:

28AE5318-D7B7-48ED-B21B-D2C4FABB4B1D.jpeg

jtrain609

Uniting the black vote.
by whom? Ourselves ? Nobody forcing me to do anything <in relation to work>
Sure we are, we force people to finish to a certain level of schooling. We force people to pay taxes. We force people to go to jail if they violate certain laws.

Many of these things are enforced by a guy with a gun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
by whom? Ourselves ? Nobody forcing me to do anything.
I don’t know about you, maybe you can buy food, pay your rent or mortgage, and go to the doctor when you get sick if you don’t work, but for the rest of us, yes, we’re forced to go to work. Also, there’s the continual threat as we are seeing now of “if you don’t be a good boy and work so you can spend money on stuff you don’t need from Amazon and at restaurants and bars, the whole economy comes tumbling down and we’ll let people starve if it does. So remember to consume!”

CaptainYoda

Doubtful. What you see in the video is pretty much a normal maneuver in a single engine jet to get away from the ground and buy some time to either set up for a flameout approach or eject. You can hear a pop as they come by, just prior to the breakaway. Not conclusive by any means, but certainly sounds like an engine eating itself.
I see your point.
So a climb to get altitude for ejection.

touch-n-go

This exactly! Plus from what I understand these flyovers have been funded by monies that were already in the budget for either training, or canceled airshows due to COVID. So no extra financial expenditure to complain about here.

JEP

Malko In Charge
Staff member
Sure we are, we force people to finish to a certain level of schooling. We force people to pay taxes. We force people to go to jail if they violate certain laws.

Many of these things are enforced by a guy with a gun.
fixed my quote for you in case you couldn't figure it out. I was referring to 'forced to be at my job'. Nice stretch though.

jtrain609

Uniting the black vote.
fixed my quote for you in case you couldn't figure it out. I was referring to 'forced to be at my job'. Nice stretch though.
If you think it's a stretch, then go steal a car this afternoon and find out how quickly you can be forced to do something you aren't interested in.