Snowbird crash into a neighborhood just after takeoff....

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
Apparently they were departing as part of a scheduled flyover....serious injuries to the pilot...

One of the snowbirds set to fly from Kamloops to Comox this morning has crashed in a Kamloops neighbourhood.

Witness Mike Trafford lives about a block and a half away from the crash site on Glenview Avenue, he said.

Trafford said he was watching the snowbirds take off this morning at about 10:40 a.m., and watched as one of the jets did a barrel roll, which he didn’t think was unusual until he saw that the pilot was ejected from the plane.
There is video of the departure and crash here:

'I'm in shock:' Witness sees snowbird pilot ejected from plane before crash in Kamloops neighbourhood

Between the drone near miss, T-birds near miss, and this, I can't imagine the public will be as enthusiastic about these fly-overs, though I hope they continue.

Boris Badenov

Someone should definitely do *something*, Captain!
Hmm. Engine problems, grabbed for energy a little too enthusiastically, spun, punched out?

What does our pointy nosed mafia have to say?

Pilot Fighter

Hmm. Engine problems, grabbed for energy a little too enthusiastically, spun, punched out?

My noses weren't very pointy but the initial climb seemed a little zoomy on a good-engine day.

I didn't see a chute or even seat separation - I'm prepared for some bad news. With a modern seat this probably would have been out of the envelope but I think these planes had an off-brand 1950's seat without zero-zero capability.

Last edited:

JEP

Malko In Charge
Staff member
My noses weren't very pointy but the initial climb seemed a little zoomy on a good-engine day.

I didn't see a chute or even seat separation - I'm prepared for some bad news. With a modern seat this probably would have been out of the envelope but I think these planes had an off-brand 1950's seat without zero-zero capability.
same video in the initial story....you could see the chute in the post footage.....scary.......

Pilot Fighter

same video in the initial story....you could see the chute in the post footage.....scary.......
Yeah, I think I just saw the drogue chute in the video. Not what I was hoping to see.

Some media is reporting a female mechanic was onboard and didn't make it.

Last edited:

Flyinthrew

I think I'm going to go with flight control malfunction. There was no attempt to reduce AOA even after the jet got up on a wing. You see the lead just flying straight ahead. Methinks -2 was supposed to continue with him. I hate watching crash video (I've seen a lot) and saying "shoulda punched right there." This is a bad one.

Boris Badenov

Someone should definitely do *something*, Captain!
There was no attempt to reduce AOA even after the jet got up on a wing.
In that scenario, being up on a wing might have BEEN an attempt to reduce the AOA, a la those poor guys in the DC-8 with the load shift, many years ago. Was it Fine Air? Can't recall. Bad one indeed.

Seggy

These air show teams are a waste of money in normal times. It is criminal someone in the armed forces think hospital workers and first responders actually care about these flyovers. They’d rather have PPE protection...

Baronman

These air show teams are a waste of money in normal times. It is criminal someone in the armed forces think hospital workers and first responders actually care about these flyovers. They’d rather have PPE protection...
I know plenty of nurses that enjoy the salute. We’ve had a number here in NY. Let me ask you, do you think they’re not getting PPE because of these flyovers?

Pilot Fighter

Without entering into a conversation about whether flight demonstration teams are worthwhile, it should be noted that these tribute flights are being flown within the scope of existing budgets. They don't represent additional expenditures.