1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small business owners

Discussion in 'Investment and Retirement Planning' started by Nark, May 13, 2017.

1. Nark

Nark Well-Known Member

Any small business owners? LLC's, work from home/ retail etc...

I have some questions.

Mostly are accounting types. Personal income taxes, vs small business taxes.

2. drunkenbeagle

drunkenbeagle Gang Member

I've owned a few. Get a CPA, taxes are kind of complicated.

In almost all cases you are paying taxes on your personal return (S Corp, LLC, Sole Proprietor), the principle difference is the form they are reported on (K-1, Schedule C, etc). I'm a big fan of S-corps.

3. Nark

Nark Well-Known Member

From what I've read up today.. yes, CA or CPA for sure. LLC or S corp is the way to go.

I have an idea of what to do in order to maximize earnings from full time job 1, with supplemental "carry over loss" from "home office biz." And lastly part time warrior thing I do.

Another option is purchasing a brick and mortar retail store and use that as a S corp.

I have lots of ideas, but little time to execute, or will quickly burn out between the 2 current "full time" jobs.

4. wheelsup

wheelsup Well-Known Member

My wife and I had a partnership before we were married that issued K-1s. It was very simple for what we did. I made web sites and she did the graphic design. It basically paid rent which was its intended purpose. As far as taxes go we did them ourselves and filed with the state ourselves. A little bit of a learning curve but nothing that can't be overcome. The more complicated situations certainly will benefit from a CPA but you need to be making decent money for them to pay for themselves in creating less hassle. The K-1s are just pass throughs to your 1040.

Once you get your federal EIN you can open up a bank account and use it strictly for your business. Makes keeping track of "business expenses" a lot easier. We had a lot of business meetings at restaurants.

No need for any sort of legal structure unless you think you need to be shielded from lawsuits. It's an expense that isn't really necessary if you don't have much in the way of assets as well (not saying you don't, just putting it out there).

Nark likes this.
  5. ppragman

ppragman Direct BOOKE

What are you going to do dude?

6. ComplexHiAv8r

ComplexHiAv8r Well-Known Member

I've been inc'd since '88 and successfully purchased a plane and wrote it off. Ask away! 8)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Nark

Nark Well-Known Member

My goal is to offset taxes paid from primary job. I can throw all my military drill pay towards TSP (well almost all of it).

The SBA has a lot of programs for vets to get started. Maybe that's an avenue.

The idea of a turn key retail store just fizzled out, another guy executed on the same idea I had.

Mostly thoughts for now.

8. wheelsup

wheelsup Well-Known Member

So you want to lose money on your business to avoid paying taxes?!?

That's like when people say they don't want to make more money because it will be a pay cut after getting "bumped up" into the next tax bracket.

gotWXdagain likes this.
  9. ComplexHiAv8r

My business loses money every year. After depreciations and such. 8)

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    gotWXdagain and drunkenbeagle like this.
  10. drunkenbeagle

You can't have a business that exists for the sole reason of avoiding taxes. That said, there are plenty of businesses that do lose a lot of money. Pretty much all of them related to aviation in any way shape or form.

Roger Roger and ComplexHiAv8r like this.
  11. gotWXdagain

gotWXdagain Highly Visible Member

And oddly enough, Amazon.

12. Vector

Vector Well-Known Member

Curious as to your thought process on S-Corp.

13. drunkenbeagle

Pretty simple, an S-Corp has all of the benefits of a C-corp. It only gets taxed once (on your own tax return), has an incredibly simple tax filing itself. Really, there is nothing not to like about an S-Corp. Unless C-corp someday get the same tax rates. The only downside is the need to keep track of the basis of each owner every tax year. This isn't reported to the IRS, but as long as you keep good records, it isn't a big deal at all.

Stone Cold and Vector like this.
  14. ComplexHiAv8r

There is a few items if you have employees and offer retirement. Up to 25% of payroll can be put to retirement but it has to be the same rate for ALL employees.