1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skywest Soft Landings approved

Discussion in 'Airline Pilots' started by Rodger Wilco, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Screaming_Emu

Screaming_Emu You people

I hope this program is wildly successful and then all the new people start a successful organization drive.

JetDoc, pete2800, tcco94 and 7 others like this.
  2. Cloud Surfer

Cloud Surfer All Roads lead to Trantor

I wish, man. Our pilot group (OO) is frighteningly spineless.

3. Autothrust Blue

Autothrust Blue "This is a God damn waste of time!"

Because I'd like to be compensated for my service to *this* airline, thanks.

4. bike21

bike21 Somewhat Known Member

And the other unionized carriers offering bonuses, paying tuition reimbursements and hiring with no interviews don't undercut their own CBA's? I don't see this one as a unionized vs. non-unionized issue. It's just the regionals being....well regional.

Rodger Wilco, JordanD and B767 like this.
  5. B767

B767 Well-Known Member

He's still missing the point that Expressjet, a union carrier, has the exact same policy now too. So his point is moot.

6. JordanD

JordanD Sizeable Member

Seriously. Wasn't Horizon's union absolutely pissed about them offering the bonuses that they were because it was without negotiating and was violating their CBA?

ppragman likes this.
  7. JordanD

JordanD Sizeable Member

Why are we going by a random facebook poll that I for one never saw? It's kind of meaningless since none of the pilots got to vote on the policy anyway.

word302 likes this.
  8. jtrain609

jtrain609 I'm a carnal, organic anagram.

Vote ALPA.

JetDoc, pete2800, Skåning and 2 others like this.
  9. bike21

Vote often.

jtrain609 likes this.
  10. JDean3204

JDean3204 Well-Known Member

There are two angles to this. First, being able to move to another carrier and get paid base on experience industry wide is something most pilots want to happen. Every other industry pays based on years of experience and other qualifications. If pilot A was with regional A for 7 years, then they should get paid at regional B for the 7 years experience they have. For pilot B to be mad at pilot A because he/she is paid more is rediculous and somewhat selfish imho.

However, I don't believe this new incentive has risen due to the hearts of regional management. It is a way for them to poach pilots from their competitors. SkyWest smells blood in this industry right now, they see the other carriers struggling to hire and fulfill their flying contracts, so why not attempt to crush the competition by offering longevity pay wise to join the "major" of the regionals? it makes perfect business sense to me, that is why SkyWest will most likely be the last regional standing in the coming years.

Rodger Wilco and ppragman like this.
  11. sefro

sefro Well-Known Member

I believe the union sued the company over the hiring bonuses.

12. word302

word302 Well-Known Member

While I'm waiting with pen in hand to sign that card, I don't think that solves this problem. Our ALPA represented brethren have the same new policy.

13. Autothrust Blue

Preach to me some more about that, ya hack!

bike21 likes this.
  14. jtrain609

jtrain609 I'm a carnal, organic anagram.

The difference is there's a process to follow if you disagree with the policy, or disagree with the people who implemented it.

ALPA isn't 'Nam, there are rules.

JetDoc, JordanD and pete2800 like this.
  15. bike21

[​IMG]

16. Autothrust Blue

MARK IT ZERO.

(or, "MARK YOUR PAY RATE YEAR ONE!")

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  17. BEEF SUPREME

BEEF SUPREME Well-Known Member

Over the line!

bike21 likes this.
  18. alaskadrifter

alaskadrifter Noob

Gotta say, it is slightly tempting.

pete2800 and Acrofox like this.
  19. Autothrust Blue

It really is.

20. Rodger Wilco

Rodger Wilco Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't see how this has anything to do with a union. How is this bad news for any Skywest pilot? Other airlines sure, its competition I see that.

Just like a flow agreement or a bonus any carrot can be taken away at any point. Never rely upon the carrot.

But say your airline is crumbling, or it is just a crummy place to work, wouldn't it be nice to start over at your same pay rate? Nobody wants to start at the bottom of seniority again, but most of us will switch airlines at least once or twice. This takes some of the bite out of it.

And if you are already at Skywest this just adds people onto the seniority list underneath you; always a good thing. Always.

Someone posted that they are upset about classes being full because "as long as classes are full we have no bargaining power" What?
    Full classes are the only thing insulating you from hard times when the economy does tank (and its coming), not the other way around.
    We don't have any bargaining power anyways, no airline does. Its called the RLA of 1926 and it basically says that the show must go on. Period.

100 percent of Spirit Airlines pilots voted yesterday to strike, and do you think that their operations will even feel a hiccup?

Call me a Koolaid drinker but I don't see any of the unionized shops with a better deal than OO currently has. Plus with a union what do you do? You file a grievance when the company doesn't do what they agreed to, and the company files that grievance in the trash. And now you have something to be angry and biter about but thats about it. And the union makes more money and you make less.

av8tr1 and Roger Roger like this.