1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skywest Questions

Discussion in 'Airline Pilots' started by flyingbum, Jan 3, 2016.

1. bike21

bike21 Somewhat Known Member

I think it was in Copenhagen that we stumbled across (probably literally thanks to many good beers) a very euro and quite hipster'ish Carhartt store. Had no idea they had an upscale line, I doubt those goods would sell back home at the Rural King in Indiana.

2. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Navajo Whisperer

It was basically an entire store of Washed Duck Manpris?

alaskadrifter likes this.
  3. NWpiloté

NWpiloté Well-Known Member

I will be doing the CTP course in SLC in January.

Does anyone know if we will write the ATP knowledge test at the end of the course in SLC or is that completed on our own back home during the week+ gap to start indoc?

4. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Navajo Whisperer

The flannel lined are great if it's freezing-ass cold anything other than that they're overkill. I like the double-knee work pants. Only thing that survives any reasonable amount of loading airplanes and working the shop floor.

5. WAtreefifekaybeck

WAtreefifekaybeck Well-Known Member

You will finish the CTP course in SLC after a brainless short quiz. If your class date is just a couple days after the CTP, then you most likely will not go home and end up taking the ATP written in SLC. I had two weeks between class and CTP so I just went home, paid Mr. Sheperd Air, and took the written.

6. BEEF SUPREME

BEEF SUPREME Well-Known Member

I would do the one day course at ATP or something similar and show up with the ATP written complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. NWpiloté

Ok cool - I have about 10 days between completion of CTP and starting of Indoc. So I guess I will be like a little sheep and complete the written at home.

8. NWpiloté

Only problem is that I have to complete CTP in order to take the ATP written...

9. BEEF SUPREME

BEEF SUPREME Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't know much about that process. So I probably shouldn't have commented.

NWpiloté likes this.
  10. tcco94

tcco94 Professional GTA V Pilot

What happened to MSP? It looks like all new hires are going to DTW/ORD and the reserve line is biggest in MSP.

11. Ayork62493

Ayork62493 GBR

It was a big base, they kept staffing it then shifted flying to Detroit. My friends were hired last April and they still are around 25 numbers from being the most junior line holder there. It changes quick

12. tcco94

Yeah it looks like it's almost a year to hold a line?

I was hoping to get it in training next month lol. Maybe when I'm out but still the most junior reserve is 3 months now. They could switch the flying back to MSP right? Seems like it's all just a gamble

13. Ayork62493

Ayork62493 GBR

It's definitely not the junior base anymore. You may end up commuting to Detroit or Chicago for a bit but honesty I think you could get in before you are on the line. I know you moved to what was a junior base hoping to avoid commuting. So did I, ended up commuting to reserve for five months. To be honest, I've stopped trying to understand the way they staff bases. My pilot brain can't comprehend it.

tcco94 likes this.
  14. tcco94

Hopefully it won't take that long to get in base. I guess we'll see how long training is.

15. Autothrust Blue

Autothrust Blue "This is a God damn waste of time!"

Meh.

Airplanes are airplanes to a certain extent, and jets are jets; the -200 is a particularly insufficient example of a jet, but it works, and for the missions we fly it on in the MSP/DTW system they're adequate enough airplanes.

(They've straight up forgotten to give me OOE, so I can't speak to the 700/900, but I would assume based on what I got in differences that they're much more adequate airframes. Slats, y'know.)

General training advice: If you are a good pilot, studious, and forget the "other" airplane's procedures on Day 1 of class when you show up, neither airplane should be difficult to upgrade to. The difficulty in upgrading to a jet I've never flown before is that I don't have the luxury of going "Oh! it's doing it again," but I have to say "What's it doing now?" instead, and figure out - potentially with a fresh first officer in the right seat.

Despite the assertion that the procedures were "harmonized" to be like the E75 when the CRJ SOPM was rewritten, they were not really that harmonized. "Check" vs. "checklist" falls under the "OFFS*" category, and other warts.

* not allowed to say that in Derg's living room

I'm pretty sure he was talking about my life as well.

16. trafficinsight

trafficinsight Well-Known Member

File it under "things that don't really matter."

I'm not exactly sure how well you can harmonize procedures between two vastly different airplanes that are 2 decades apart in terms of development. Never seen the 175 SOP though. I'm sure there's stuff what's better and stuff what isn't.

17. Autothrust Blue

Autothrust Blue "This is a God damn waste of time!"

Take a gander sometime; you'll see the room for growth, IMO.

18. tcco94

I just got all my CBT's assigned yesterday for indoc starting Monday. It says there is a indoc test Monday...that's after the first week right?

Acrofox likes this.
  19. Acrofox

Acrofox All fox

Yesh.

tcco94 likes this.
  20. Cloud Surfer

Cloud Surfer All Roads lead to Trantor

Happy New Year to everybody, let's hope for continued good success in 2017