Skywest Questions

Nark

Sheepdog
Dehydration?

Somewhat anecdotal, but is there a policy at Skywest not to give jumpseater a bottle of water?

In my recent jumpseatimg escapades, it seems like Skywest FA’s are the only ones not offering a bottle of water.
Just curious.

Cloud Surfer

All Roads lead to Trantor
Dehydration?

Somewhat anecdotal, but is there a policy at Skywest not to give jumpseater a bottle of water?

In my recent jumpseatimg escapades, it seems like Skywest FA’s are the only ones not offering a bottle of water.
Just curious.
I do not think it is encouraged, although I make sure as an FO to have the FAs hand JSers water even if the CA does not say a word about it. I want to set a precedent. Kidney stones are all too common for pilots.

n156499000

Titanius Anglesmith
Dehydration?

Just curious.
Funny, I was riding a SouthernJets jumpseat back home the other day and the CA and FO, both commuters, commented how whenever they jumpseat on SkyWest (or most any regional for that matter) if they ask for water they get the full big bottle where as on SJI the best they can get is the tiny single gulp bottles.

If you're traveling back east (with MSP, ORD, DTW, or ATL crews especially), I'd wager a guess it's a very junior FA who simply doesn't know to offer. I've done quite a few trips lately with FA's just off their IOE and it's been a struggle (especially since I'm not used to the DL galley setup so I don't yet know where things are to grab them myself). Just ask. I doubt you'd ever get any grief from the FA's, well, unless it's an AA CRJ-200 route where catering seems to think two 2-liter bottles is all the plane needs for a full day of flying.

trafficinsight

It’s not that, they just know the airplane won’t make the full day of flying before it breaks down so they figure “eh-good enough”.
Everyone jokes about it but I gotta say, the CRJ gave me good luck.

Maybe it's because I'm polite to it ;)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rodger Wilco

Yea that sucks. Gotta love the teach yourself method. I’m currently going through that myself. “Total run time of 12 hours.” I’m almost half through and I’m pushing 15 total hours on it. Don’t worry though day one of class is the Systems test and KV.
Are you a new hire or upgrade? I head that there is no more systems test for upgrade, its all on CBTs. I have no idea if there is limitations test anymore either.

skatergeek

Beet Farmer
Are you a new hire or upgrade? I head that there is no more systems test for upgrade, its all on CBTs. I have no idea if there is limitations test anymore either.
Oh I have moved on from the Mormon Airforce to Southern Submarine Commandars. Seems like all airlines train via death by CBT now a days

Nark

Sheepdog
So to update my question, it must a new FA thing. Last leg home jumpseating the FA immediately asked if I wanted a water.

I also think it’s an expiriance thing. Anyone with 5+ years immediately asks if I want anything, the newer ones don’t seem to. This is a sample for all airlines not just the mormon Air Force.

Jordan93

So to update my question, it must a new FA thing. Last leg home jumpseating the FA immediately asked if I wanted a water.

I also think it’s an expiriance thing. Anyone with 5+ years immediately asks if I want anything, the newer ones don’t seem to. This is a sample for all airlines not just the mormon Air Force.
It is. Whenever I get on the plane to work at 9E the senior ones almost immediately give us water and a trash bag. Most of the new ones I have to ask for something which isn’t a big deal either.

Cory Trevor

It sounds like you've been able to figure it out, but yeah it's mostly a newer flight attendant thing. Apparently in indoc and CQ they scare all flight attendants into not giving out waters; to themselves, flight crews, or jumpseaters, because it's stealing. It's only the newer flight attendants that seem listen, which is understandable because they'll fire those poor men and women for nothing. In fact there's stories of at least one flight attendant being fired for giving out water to the flight crew, granted I've only heard that from other brand new flight attendants so who knows if it's true or not.

But yeah, whenever a jumpseater checks in I'll always say hi and ask if they want a water for the flight.