Sky Acres (44N) plane into residence

Bob Ridpath

Pit Bull love
Unknown type aircraft into house S Smith Rd out of 44N (Sky Acres Airport, Union Vale). Working structure fire. Initial reports of 3 entrapped in house, unknown souls on the aircraft. Interior operations discontinued, defensive only at this point with 6 departments operating on scene. Multiple ALS rigs dispatched, 2 currently transporting, with medivac chopper still inbound.

Looks possibly like a departure off 17 based on house location in reference to airport but unknown for sure.

(Edit). Current reports are unknown type aircraft with three aboard inbound to Sky Acres. Still reporting three in residence at time of accident.

(Edit). Now being reported as a Cessna 303, 3 souls aboard, out of Republic Farmingdale.

(Edit). 1 Dead, 1 Hurt, 1 Missing After Small Plane Hits NY Home

Last edited:

Bob Ridpath

Pit Bull love
Latest update:

Two confirmed dead, one still “missing” but not seen as likely to have survived, three transported with “life-threatening” injuries.

One of the critically-injured survivors got three family dogs (and a gecko) out a second story window. The dogs have been at large since the event, however most recent update is that one of the four-month old pups has been safely recovered. The second Golden pup and an older Newfoundland (possibly with injury) are still at large in this very rural area. A professional tracking service and multiple volunteers continue to search for the pups. Several other small animals (cats and several reptiles) perished.

Still a dynamically-evolving story, the plane appeared to have left Orange County Airport and landed at Sky Acres for fuel before heading to Farmingdale, LI. There are reports of an engine issue and attempted return to Sky Acres.

Much respect for the gal who faced the fire and serious injury to get the dogs to relative safety.

Bob Ridpath

Pit Bull love
Just reported that the Newfoundland, Molly, has been found deceased. She was apparently injured/burned in the accident and succumbed to those injuries in the woods after escaping the fire. Search continues for the second Golden puppy.

44DF545C-DB03-4176-838F-378F3A7A76E0.jpeg

Last edited:

Bob Ridpath

Pit Bull love
According to the rescue/tracking service FB page, Charlie - the 2nd Golden pup - has been recovered in “OK” condition. Two cats, believed to have escaped the fire, are still missing. No official word yet on the still-missing person believed to be within the destroyed structure. Flight operations have resumed at 44N, based upon personal observation from a locale beneath the traffic pattern.

(EDIT). Although “confirmed” through two sources, the information concerning Charlie’s rescue is incorrect. He has NOT been recovered and search operations still continue. My apologies for the incorrect information.

Last edited:

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunate both the crash as well as it’s aftermath. Any words generating up there about factors....weather, etc, at the time?

Bob Ridpath

Pit Bull love
Unfortunate both the crash as well as it’s aftermath. Any words generating up there about factors....weather, etc, at the time?
Weather was fine, Mike, although hot and very humid. I was sitting on the deck with pups enjoying a beverage. We live about .3 miles from Sky Acres as the crow flies (under the downwind to 17) and I enjoy the planes which overfly. Some print reports of engine trouble and attempt to turn back to airport but nothing official yet. Takeoff sounded normal from my perspective but engine sound changed quickly, so I can believe a power plant issue, possibly.

The crash and smoke plume were unmistakeable, tho’ I didn’t know a structure was hit until a few minutes later.

Bob Ridpath

Pit Bull love
So much human tragedy, for sure. All I can think of this evening, though, as a squall line rolls through with its’ rain and thunder, is poor damned Charlie, alone in the dark while the rain falls and thunder booms. Everything was so safe and normal until that blink of an eye when the sky fell in and so many lives were changed.

Reminded me of the transitory nature of all that we believe is so permanent, and the real value of making the most of every moment we have.

For those who are interested, I’ll keep you posted about any developments

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Refueling stop+big piston twin+engine problems right after takeoff has to make one wonder about what type of fuel fire the FD encountered on scene...

Bob Ridpath

Pit Bull love
Well, despite the inaccuracy of local (and wider news), the following is an accurate update:

Two dead: father in the house and pilot of the Cessna 303
Three transported critical: two pax from plane and younger daughter from house
One minor injuries: older daughter from house
No one “missing:” mother was at work, enroute home at the time

Three dogs rescued by one or both daughters from second floor while residence involved in heavy fire. One rescued in the woods by searchers and volunteers some half mile from scene and reportedly OK; one found deceased in same general area; one Golden puppy still missing thru 11am today (Mon, 08/19). Several cats MAY have escaped the fire and professional searchers/volunteers have food and traps out to hopefully recover same, along with remaining puppy.

Neighbors were instrumental in rescuing two daughters, who would not leave until dogs were out. It took roughly 11 minutes for fire and EMS units to arrive, not the “thirty” being noted in local news reports.

Bob Ridpath

Pit Bull love
Perhaps just because I’m getting older, but there are so many reminders these days of the transitory nature of life. Wondering at how quickly it passes, I’m grateful for the “second chances” I’ve known personally, and glad to have made at least a small difference to some of the people whose paths I’ve crossed. No great legacy, perhaps, but I’ve mattered a bit. I hope these two passed with the understanding that their lives made a difference, too, o’er the long haul.

Bob Ridpath

Pit Bull love
And in a (likely) final bit of news, two cats of four missing escaped the fire and have been caught and returned to family.

Bob Ridpath

Pit Bull love
And in a (likely) final bit of news, two cats of four missing escaped the fire and have been caught and returned to family.
3rd cat found today (Wed, 08/21); 1 still missing. Sadly, 1 recovered yesterday succumbed to its’ injuries. Younger daughter remains in critical condition at Westchester Med Center. No update I’ve been able to find on the Cessna’s two pax.

Bob Ridpath

Pit Bull love
This is the critically injured young lady from the Union Vale plane crash into her home. Pup, Molly, whom she rescued from the fire but was later found deceased in the woods, is top left picture. Hannah, currently on dialysis (and still critical) to help her kidney function, is undergoing her first surgery today to debride severe burns. It’s a hell’uva place for a young lady to be:confused:

7AAFBB9F-9578-4A4E-842D-15A864E77B92.jpeg