Similar Etiquette Question (Gateway)

moxiepilot

My company purchases tickets from my home airport to our departure city and requires uniform while traveling on to work even though we start the next day.

I'm a new guy to the airlines though, so I'm not spooled up on appropriate actions and haven't been on rotation yet to chat with other pilots.

What is standard boarding process? For example, I'm usually Group 5 or 6 for American (middle of the herd and in the back of the bus). Would it be considered a faux pas to board after first class (Group 2) so that I can get my roll-on in an overhead without too much hassle? Or should I stick to my Group although I'm in uniform?

Since the company purchased the ticket for travel, should I pop my nose in the cockpit to thank for the lift?

What do you folks think?

poser765

Boarding priority. Usually off line deadheads I’ll just board with my group number OR simply ask the gate agent if I can go ahead and bored early. Sometimes they might even let you board before boarding even starts. Go for it... just stay out of the cleaners way and ask the FAs if you can come on.

Paid company travel in uniform is awkward. I’ll not necessarily pop up front but if I see the captain I’ll let him know I’m a revenue passenger. If I don’t see him I’ll at least tell the up front FA.

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
I see a lot of netjets/atlas/other homebased guys on my flights and I don't expect them to say hello if they're on a paid ticket. The boarding priority thing is different, if you're in uniform you can politely ask the crew (if you catch them at the gate) or the agent, I don't mind helping out another pilot especially in today's limited overhead space world.

Screaming_Emu

Great and Unmatched Wisdom
It won’t take you long to have status with your “usual” airline and you’ll be able to board sooner than the unwashed masses. Alternatively, some guys get the credit card with one airline that allows earlier boarding.

I have seen guys flash the badge to have the gate agent let them on first. To me that’s kind of cringe worthy, but I know most people don’t feel that way. If I’m having a hard time finding a place for my bag 90% of the time the FA has seen my crew tag and helped find a super secret place to keep it.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
Yeah if you’re on a paid ticket, and they’re willing to let you board early, terrific! If not, board with your group. If you’re on a paid ticket absolutely no reason to stick your head in the cockpit and say hi to the flight crew. Have a seat and try to get some rest!
puppy-dog eyes, a touch of humanity, and chocolate also work wonders on that front, revenue or not

z987k

My company purchases tickets from my home airport to our departure city and requires uniform while traveling on to work even though we start the next day.

I'm a new guy to the airlines though, so I'm not spooled up on appropriate actions and haven't been on rotation yet to chat with other pilots.

What is standard boarding process? For example, I'm usually Group 5 or 6 for American (middle of the herd and in the back of the bus). Would it be considered a faux pas to board after first class (Group 2) so that I can get my roll-on in an overhead without too much hassle? Or should I stick to my Group although I'm in uniform?

Since the company purchased the ticket for travel, should I pop my nose in the cockpit to thank for the lift?

What do you folks think?
I forget did you go to omni or southern?

Uniforms on paid tickets? Nope nope nope nope.
If you end up on and international segment they'll make you take it off before they let you board.

KLB

I dont see any good reason to have to wear your uniform if you aren't going to be flying the day of...

I understand that you're just doing as required of you, but it seems a bit ridiculous to have such a rule. All it does is confuse the flight crews' planes that you are boarding. I used to work for a company that required us to wear our uniform while traveling. But we often went right to work after landing.

Jordan93

I dont see any good reason to have to wear your uniform if you aren't going to be flying the day of...

I understand that you're just doing as required of you, but it seems a bit ridiculous to have such a rule. All it does is confuse the flight crews' planes that you are boarding. I used to work for a company that required us to wear our uniform while traveling. But we often went right to work after landing.
Yea it’s a silly rule. Our rule is you have to wear full uniform while dead heading. Some of the trips I get assigned on reserve only have a DH on day 1 and go to the hotel. I’m not wearing my uniform if I’m just going to the hotel

GypsyPilot

Boarding priority. Usually off line deadheads I’ll just board with my group number OR simply ask the gate agent if I can go ahead and bored early. Sometimes they might even let you board before boarding even starts. Go for it... just stay out of the cleaners way and ask the FAs if you can come on.

Paid company travel in uniform is awkward. I’ll not necessarily pop up front but if I see the captain I’ll let him know I’m a revenue passenger. If I don’t see him I’ll at least tell the up front FA.
I never had anyone in uniform on a paid ticket talk to me as the pilot operating the flight, and would have been wondering why you’re bothering me. Just seems a bit weird.

Screaming_Emu

Great and Unmatched Wisdom
Are you certain that the uniform is required? I know we work under different parts of the same circus, but I think we are more or less under the same rules now and I’ve never heard of that.

CoffeeIcePapers

Well-Hung Member

Do this. AA gate agents are the worst in the business though. Don't expect much.

SFCC/UND

Unless you want to keep your liquid and gels. I guess wearing your uniform through kcm is okay...

rjmore

Gastrointestinally Challenged
I wish I could go out of uniform since I'm on a ZED fare anyway but such is life without KCM and I want to keep my bag with me. I travel on AA a lot and believe me, group 5 or 6 are adequate to still have lots of room in the overhead. There are hardly any people in group 5 so just be first in line for group 6 and you're golden.

moxiepilot

Yeah I was just askin. The cba reads funny. You can interpret it both ways. I figure if I’m going to stick scheduling to their end, then they can stick it to me. 15 days in a 22” roll on so I don’t have lots of room anyway