Should I bother to book AME appointment?

soccer629

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums, and am seeking some advice since I haven't found anything that really fits my situation. So here is my situation:

I'm thinking about enrolling into my local flight school's PPL training program, but figured that I should get my medical first before shelling out all the money towards training. However when I was a Sophomore in high school I was diagnosed with depression with anxiety and was given a prescription for Prozac. Later on that year my depression got worse so my parents decided to check me into the local Behavior Hospital. I ended up taking the anti-depressant for a few years until I turned 21 and was cleared to go off them by the psychiatrist that I was seeing. I'm 29, turning 30 in a few months and haven't had any problems since being in high school and am able to hold down jobs and I graduated from college with a B.S degree. I also have all my prescription history and everything I could get from the doctor's office and hospital.

So my question is should I bother to fill out the MedXPress form and make an appointment with an AME or would this prevent me for getting a medical certificate?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums, and am seeking some advice since I haven't found anything that really fits my situation. So here is my situation:

I'm thinking about enrolling into my local flight school's PPL training program, but figured that I should get my medical first before shelling out all the money towards training. However when I was a Sophomore in high school I was diagnosed with depression with anxiety and was given a prescription for Prozac. Later on that year my depression got worse so my parents decided to check me into the local Behavior Hospital. I ended up taking the anti-depressant for a few years until I turned 21 and was cleared to go off them by the psychiatrist that I was seeing. I'm 29, turning 30 in a few months and haven't had any problems since being in high school and am able to hold down jobs and I graduated from college with a B.S degree. I also have all my prescription history and everything I could get from the doctor's office and hospital.

So my question is should I bother to fill out the MedXPress form and make an appointment with an AME or would this prevent me for getting a medical certificate?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Doc can chime in with the specifics. It's do-able, you just may have to jump through some additional hoops. I have a student who has been through something similar, but he's considerably older and was medicated a lot more recently. He's been successfully able to get this done.

Corporate Pilot

First have a consultation with a fulltime AME, not one that does a few FAA physicals a year. If you like what the AME says then fill out the MedXPress and setup an appointment for the physical.

soccer629

UPDATE: I took the advice of @Corporate Pilot and found a fulltime AME which took some time to find one that I think I would have the best chance with, and went in for a consultation. He said that there's hope and needs some more documentation from the last psychiatrist visit which I didn't have at the time and will be getting that for me. Once that's in they'll call me back and see where we need to go from there.