1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shots Fired @ FLL

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by A Life Aloft, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Screaming_Emu

Screaming_Emu You people

I guarantee that if we took every citizen of West Virginia and poured them into the downtown part of one city things would look very similar.

2. Lawman

Lawman Well-Known Member

A Life Aloft likes this.
  3. MikeD

MikeD Administrator Staff Member

The plebe's have to argue about something... :)

And then there's a true helo to make us all look lesser.........

image.jpg

4. Lawman

Lawman Well-Known Member

It would be a lot more attractive for me to try and go CSAR instead of Task Force if you guys were rolling some MH series heavy lift platform instead of a bunch of overweight, overtasked, overstretched, 60G's.

5. Nark

Nark Well-Known Member

Pavehawk's carry 4 SOF troops like no-ones business!

I'll let you prep my LZ any day!

6. A Life Aloft

A Life Aloft Well-Known Member

Meh guns, when you have hellfire missiles.......................

7. SteveC

SteveC Really? Staff Member

I think I'm not following completely. Was he convicted of a crime, so not eligible for ownership?

8. TUCKnTRUCK

TUCKnTRUCK That guy

He received deferred adjudication for the crime of domestic violence- which would have made it illegal for him to regain his guns normally. Deferred adjudication is frequently a guilty plea that gets held for a year of probation. If nothing happens for a year- poof *gone*. During that 1 year period though, there's nothing that would trigger the law apparently.

Because of this, with out a current charge, or, conviction he was allowed to have his weapon. It's an easy way for an overworked justice system to push off minor charges without a lot of work. The crimes after that he committed should have invalidated the deferment though.

9. Cherokee_Cruiser

Cherokee_Cruiser Well-Known Member

What numbers, exactly, are you looking at? The topic was mass shootings. And IIRC, the article you are showing was trying to draw the line of a definition as "4 or more people injured." Sorry, that's not a mass shooting. Lets look at public mass shootings in which 4+ are killed. And of these, exclude gang-on-gang killings and drug war killings. The numbers aren't even close even if you try and look at at proportionately.

Nice typical right wing rant. No where did I say go and take your gun away. And as this case proves, the regulation isn't even regulated. People plead and are let out of a more worse charge that would prevent owning a gun.

That's a ridiculous statement. It's not like candy that everyone should have one. There are many people for which being armed isn't appropriate. Those who have no interest in being armed, who can't do it safely, have a careless attitude for it, etc.

Those are mostly used in street crimes, gang on gang, and drug related shootings and killings. But when it comes to mass shootings, in the overwhelming majority of the cases the gun was legally registered by either the shooter himself or someone in their family. So that argument doesn't work when talking about mass shootings. But mass shooters do not have the social ability to go and procure guns in a true off-the-street crime method.

I like how the right gives a pass on this one when it comes to "don't let the actions of the few ruin it for the rest of us!" But destroying 1st amendment items like banning people of only a certain religion, or saying that an entire race of people are rapists or bad guys.... blanket statements are cool when selectively chosen and only used only to *make* your case?

And where did you see me say that for you? This guy had his gun taken from the government because of his mental state and ordered an evaluation. Does that sound like you?

10. Cherokee_Cruiser

But in a public place that allows room for movement, I'd rather chance an encounter with a blade versus a gun. Just look at our most recent mass knifing attempt (although to be fair, it was a terrorist incident and I don't include those in mass murder numbers just like acts of war aren't included). Columbus ohio. He runs over two students with a car, then tries to knife others. Some are cut up. All expected to live, 0 fatalities except the bad guy himself.

Although of interesting note - and probably because it was mostly older people where mobility is limited - most of the people in the video at FLL simply fell to the ground or hid behind a small carte, essentially zero defense in an active shooter situation. Or even for someone with a knife. The key for an unarmed person should be to run away from that location. Moving targets are always harder to hit, especially if a non-gun weapon is used (blade, knife).

Btw, I found out our city school district actually has an active shooter training exercise for the kids. Just peachy. I remember when previous generations, it was go under a desk because the 'Commies might nuke us. Today, it's come to this :rolleyes:

Society in general of the 21st century USA. If you were to go to Swizterland or Sweden or Denmark, and say 'hey, 20 people were murdered by one person today, can you guess what happened?" You're probably gonna get different answers. Some might say a truck was used, some might say knife, some might say arson, some might even say was it accidental?

Lets be honest, if that question is asked in this country, what do you think the answer would be? I'd wager a good guess that an overwhelming majority of society would guess that someone went on a shooting spree.

The society's recognition that mental health is a serious issue today - and that many don't get the help or meds - or aren't many treatement options available - and would still absolutely refuse to come to any common ground to address the issue. That's the gun culture problem. Everybody is guns, guns, guns. No one on either side actually does anything. One side says it's not the guns, it's the mental health...... and then offers zero solution on said mental health issue. The other side tries to limit on the gun side (and really, IMO, the end goal of having a universal mental health evaluation for all legal gun purchases from a FFL). That goes nowhere either.

So we all scream at each other, insults fly, politicians yell a bit, and in the end nothing changes. That's a normalization of deviance and it is because of the gun culture mentality.

11. MikeD

MikeD Administrator Staff Member

You know that's not what was said. What was said was that Mexico was turning a blind eye to both Mexico citizens as well as others coming through Central America, who happen to be felons, and happily letting them cross into the USA, as it makes those particular people our problem to deal with instead of Mexico's.

Because, well, that's what Mexico is doing. Why deal with a criminal element when they don't have to, and the element is trying to get into the USA anyway.

Nowhere was it said that the entire Hispanic race consists of rapists/bad guys.

Just to clarify that inaccurate talking point.

12. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Navajo Whisperer

It's true. There's plenty of people both in southeast and the rest of the state who would be perfectly happy for everywhere south of, say, Cordova to be part of British Columbia.

13. AAPalmTree

AAPalmTree Well-Known Member

What we are really worried is what's killing people right?

http://www.romans322.com/daily-death-rate-statistics.php

Blue Skies 4me and Nark like this.
  14. Cherokee_Cruiser

Don't get me started on that #1. My views on that are quite clear. As for the rest, a huge amount are health-related issues, some of which you can control and some of which you can't. Cancer is terrible. It can strike anyone at any age for just about any damn thing. It's devastating, completely heart breaking, and robs your soul.

But just keep in mind that at least the health field is trying to do something about heart disease, cancer, and all the other ailments. Even if it's for-profit, the greater good of human nature tries to fix people's ailments and find solutions. Look at heart procedures today versus 40 years ago. Hopefully medical advancements continue and we can start reducing some of those numbers. Still, at least people are doing something.