Shortest Mainline Route

I'm surprised no one has mentioned IAH-HOU.

23 miles.

It used to be flown by Continental Airlines.

• The longest flying aircraft flying from Houston, TX to Houston, TX during the 2009 year was a McdonnellOuglas' MD-80 flown by American Airlines.
  • In 2009, the occupancy of the average aircraft flying from Houston to Houston was 86.28%.
  • On this route in 2009, Continental Airlines operated flights from HOU to IAH using 3 types of aircraft.
  • Way back in 2009, 1,105 passengers flew from Houston to Houston. Today, this number has significantly increased.
  • Did you know that the largest aircraft flying between Houston and Houston was flown by Continental Airlines, and was the Boeing B737-9 with 173 seats
http://www.flights.com/flights/houston-hou-to-houston-iah/

Pretty neat.

XJT used to do IAH to Ellington Field in Houston.

Jordan93

I like the DTW-CLE legs. When it's clear and a million I'll usually hand fly them the whole way and pretend I'm a real pilot again!
Last time I did that route weather was destroying us so I clicked on the AP pretty quickly. I've hand flown JFK-ROC and JFK-BUF because those are pretty low workloads for the PM once we get out NYC.

FloridaLarry

What's the shortest feeder route? Has to be an island hop somewhere...
And it holds the record as the shortest scheduled flight in the world. LoganAir, the Scottish regional, flies it 19 times a week and has since 1967.

It's from Westray (WRY), an Orkney island with 588 residents at the tippy-top of Scotland.

Destination: Papa Westray (PPW). 90 people living on a 3.5 sq mi island.

Daily RTs, except for the weekends when it's a single one way Sat & Sun.

The flight is 1.7 miles, about as long as Edinburgh's longest runway. Costs £17 ( the service is the Scottish equivalent of EAS). Record speed Is 53 seconds, but usually scheduled as a minute & a half, block time. Aircraft is a Brittan-Norman Islander ( high-wing twin, reciprocating engines, fixed gear, STOL) seating 8 PAX, one CA, and a usually-empty front right seat.

Load: School kids, medical personnel making house calls, tourists, etc. Several versions of the entire flight are on the internet.

True bucket-list stuff!

Finny

And it holds the record as the shortest scheduled flight in the world. LoganAir, the Scottish regional, flies it 19 times a week and has since 1967.

It's from Westray (WRY), an Orkney island with 588 residents at the tippy-top of Scotland.

Destination: Papa Westray (PPW). 90 people living on a 3.5 sq mi island.

Daily RTs, except for the weekends when it's a single one way Sat & Sun.

The flight is 1.7 miles, about as long as Edinburgh's longest runway. Costs £17 ( the service is the Scottish equivalent of EAS). Record speed Is 53 seconds, but usually scheduled as a minute & a half, block time. Aircraft is a Brittan-Norman Islander ( high-wing twin, reciprocating engines, fixed gear, STOL) seating 8 PAX, one CA, and a usually-empty front right seat.

Load: School kids, medical personnel making house calls, tourists, etc. Several versions of the entire flight are on the internet.

True bucket-list stuff!
V1-Rotate

Positive rate-decent checklist, if you please.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
The second time I lived in FL, I used to take a really early flight out of SRQ that stopped in TPA before continuing elsewhere - can't remember if it was NWA or DL but it was one of those. Would have been 1995-'96 timeframe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FloridaLarry

I would periodically fly ONT to LAX to connect eastbound. Skywest /UALX on a Brasilia. The welcome PA announce barely had time to apologize for no coffee service. I don't think the gear came up. We just jinked slightly south and lined up to land westbound at LAX.

The return was the Great Circle Route. Take off westbound from LAX, do a 180 over the beach, go just far enough and do another 180 to line up with ONT and land again westbound.

But it was worth it to connect to a non-stop transcontinental!