• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Shortest Mainline Route

Soul Brotha'

Blue Juice factory I've done SJU-STT both ways. Something like 69nm. Going to STT if there is no traffic they give you direct to the FAF 11 mins was my best time.

Richman

It is literally quicker to drive most of these routes after you calculate all the crap that you need to do at the airport to get to the gate plus the boarding process and taxi time. That's easily 2 hours minimum before your butt even leaves the ground.
To be fair, most of these legs were from a time when "the gate" was quite literally a door through the fence.

You parked, you walked up to the fence, handed someone a ticket, and off you went. Drama: minimum.

JordanD

Honorary Member
Well . . . someone could have shipped a package from MHT to BOS on that A300-600F... :)
I was waiting for my Uber outside the cargo area at PDX and a courier came up and we started talking. The package he was dropping off was next day air.... going to Hillsboro. So it would have to fly to SDF, back to PDX, then on a truck 20 minutes down the street. They could have just thrown it.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
I was waiting for my Uber outside the cargo area at PDX and a courier came up and we started talking. The package he was dropping off was next day air.... going to Hillsboro. So it would have to fly to SDF, back to PDX, then on a truck 20 minutes down the street. They could have just thrown it.
Next time your airplane is AOG waiting on parts this is the kind of shiz you can blame it on.

Adler

Low-Level Individual
38.8NM GRR AZO for NWA with the 727.
Clearing customs in Detroit was annoying.

Leaving PTK at 10pm we did PTK-SAT-DTW. After a full night of flying, at 8am we did DTW - YQG which is 18 miles, we blocked .3 Then flew 53 more miles to get home via YQG - DTW - PTK.

srleslie

I'm surprised no one has mentioned IAH-HOU.

23 miles.

It used to be flown by Continental Airlines.

• The longest flying aircraft flying from Houston, TX to Houston, TX during the 2009 year was a McdonnellOuglas' MD-80 flown by American Airlines.
  • In 2009, the occupancy of the average aircraft flying from Houston to Houston was 86.28%.
  • On this route in 2009, Continental Airlines operated flights from HOU to IAH using 3 types of aircraft.
  • Way back in 2009, 1,105 passengers flew from Houston to Houston. Today, this number has significantly increased.
  • Did you know that the largest aircraft flying between Houston and Houston was flown by Continental Airlines, and was the Boeing B737-9 with 173 seats
http://www.flights.com/flights/houston-hou-to-houston-iah/

Pretty neat.

bkey79

Express Jet use to do KIAH - KHOU as Continental Express. 27 miles direct. Knew a couple people that flew it, said they wouldn't even bring the gear up.

Shortest mainline flight, as mentioned, ORD - MKE. I've flown it on a 145, we got the wx before we took off and never got above 6000ft. 58 miles direct.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned IAH-HOU.

23 miles.

It used to be flown by Continental Airlines.

• The longest flying aircraft flying from Houston, TX to Houston, TX during the 2009 year was a McdonnellOuglas' MD-80 flown by American Airlines.
  • In 2009, the occupancy of the average aircraft flying from Houston to Houston was 86.28%.
  • On this route in 2009, Continental Airlines operated flights from HOU to IAH using 3 types of aircraft.
  • Way back in 2009, 1,105 passengers flew from Houston to Houston. Today, this number has significantly increased.
  • Did you know that the largest aircraft flying between Houston and Houston was flown by Continental Airlines, and was the Boeing B737-9 with 173 seats
http://www.flights.com/flights/houston-hou-to-houston-iah/

Pretty neat.

JDean3204

My first leg on IOE at Horizon was SEA-YYJ. That was 106 miles. I thought that was short, then I did SEA-BLI the next day (89 miles). Granted in a dash so not mainline, but I have no idea why people choose to fly between Seattle and Bellingham in the summer months...

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
My first leg on IOE at Horizon was SEA-YYJ. That was 106 miles. I thought that was short, then I did SEA-BLI the next day (89 miles). Granted in a dash so not mainline, but I have no idea why people choose to fly between Seattle and Bellingham in the summer months...
It's to catch a flight on from SEA and not deal with Seattle traffic or TSA.

Cptnchia

Dissatisfied Customer
It's to catch a flight on from SEA and not deal with Seattle traffic or TSA.
When I was at ASA, we used to fly ATL/MCN. We even had a crew base there. Granted it was the MTC base, but 99% of the paxs were connecting through to somewhere else. My record was a 12 minute flight in a CRJ, and that's only because we took off to the west.

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
You haven't flown the PUW-LWS yet then. 22NM for that one.