• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Shortest Mainline Route

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
It is literally quicker to drive most of these routes after you calculate all the crap that you need to do at the airport to get to the gate plus the boarding process and taxi time. That's easily 2 hours minimum before your butt even leaves the ground.
Yeah, but these aren't to get from A to B, they're to get from A to C connecting through B and not have to deal with traffic and the hassle of security at the big airport.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Colgan(?) used to do EWR ABE in a slaab iirc
Is now a bus, and yes you can nonrev on said bus

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I don't think they do that anymore although I hear it's coming back

Edit: ooooohhh a BUS bus. I thought you meant Airbus. I'm an idiot

Last edited:
Kansas City Municipal was TWA's headquarters. Across the river on the Kansas side was TWA's overhaul base at Fairfax airport. My Grandpa would take DC-3's, Martin's and Connie's between the two. Junior then didn't mean "reserve". Junior meant flying the engine carrier (basically night freight in a DC-3) to outstations and doing stuff like I describe above. They were paid well though.

upload_2017-8-10_13-25-46.png

bkey79

Express Jet use to do KIAH - KHOU as Continental Express. 27 miles direct. Knew a couple people that flew it, said they wouldn't even bring the gear up.

Shortest mainline flight, as mentioned, ORD - MKE. I've flown it on a 145, we got the wx before we took off and never got above 6000ft. 58 miles direct.

I came here to say this. I really enjoy the fact that we're allowed to do it squawking 1200. Takeoff from Petersburg, turn right, fly down the channel, dodge Kadin Island, and land. I've seen it done in about 7 minutes and not above 3000 ft.
I always loved flying my C152 to Juneau, from PAWG, only to see Alaska Air scooting on by below me at 2500' enroute to PAPG.

Apophis

Resident Iconoclast
Express Jet use to do KIAH - KHOU as Continental Express. 27 miles direct. Knew a couple people that flew it, said they wouldn't even bring the gear up.

Shortest mainline flight, as mentioned, ORD - MKE. I've flown it on a 145, we got the wx before we took off and never got above 6000ft. 58 miles direct.
I believe Expressjet also used to do KEFD-KIAH for a little while.