Sheffield Distance Learning +5 Experience

Champcar

I recently went through the Sheffield Distance Learning plus 5-Day course and I am here to tell you to think twice about doing. It was the hardest thing I have ever done in aviation. I had to use every bit of my 20 years’ experience in aviation and education to make it through, and I just snuck through. The passing rate for this offering is low, for good reason. My class had a 67% failure rate.

I'm not complaining it was hard, but the offering is just unrealistic and it appears the passing is the exception.

You have to be fully committed to the course for the entire 7 days (including the weekend). Be prepared to fail on the last day and be told you need to redo the entire course. It’s not realistic to get through all the material and master it in 5 days. In reality, you only have 4 days of learning because the last day is nothing but testing.

They present so much information in the online portion over 13 weeks that it’s impossible to gauge what is truly important for the practical. Then you get to class and you get immediately quizzed on some random weather theory and the instructor gets testy that you don’t remember something from 3 months ago. 15 minutes into my first day and I was questioning life decisions.

I still don’t honestly know how I made it to the practical. But I can tell you Sheffield has no problem telling you how many people have failed the course.

69beers

I had to use every bit of my 20 years’ experience in aviation and education to make it through, and I just snuck through.
What was your aviation experience and education before taking the course? 20 years of aviation experience and education is a very broad description as it relates to this profession.

who'swho

Don't hesitate. Penetrate!
I recently went through the Sheffield Distance Learning plus 5-Day course and I am here to tell you to think twice about doing. It was the hardest thing I have ever done in aviation. I had to use every bit of my 20 years’ experience in aviation and education to make it through, and I just snuck through. The passing rate for this offering is low, for good reason. My class had a 67% failure rate.

I'm not complaining it was hard, but the offering is just unrealistic and it appears the passing is the exception.

You have to be fully committed to the course for the entire 7 days (including the weekend). Be prepared to fail on the last day and be told you need to redo the entire course. It’s not realistic to get through all the material and master it in 5 days. In reality, you only have 4 days of learning because the last day is nothing but testing.

They present so much information in the online portion over 13 weeks that it’s impossible to gauge what is truly important for the practical. Then you get to class and you get immediately quizzed on some random weather theory and the instructor gets testy that you don’t remember something from 3 months ago. 15 minutes into my first day and I was questioning life decisions.

I still don’t honestly know how I made it to the practical. But I can tell you Sheffield has no problem telling you how many people have failed the course.
Sounds like par for the course for Sheffield. I don't know how many times I've said this... But it doesn't really matter where you get your certificate from, just get it. I've seen as many poor dispatchers with a Sheffield cert as I have good ones. Their holier than thou attitude can go pound sand. Enough big head attitudes in this industry already.

MIADX

Alternative perspective...

I busted azz and dominated the same course. Not gonna lie, I had no life while I was doing the online portion because there was so much material. Studying necessarily became an obsession. But then again, I was looking solely at the lowest cost because I had to scrape the funds together so couldn't blame them. I'm not the smartest guy in the world but I was determined to not fail. With that said, NOT RECOMMENDED FOR MOST PEOPLE. I thought they did a good job of warning people about how intense it was honestly. If you ask any of them over there, they'll always recommend the full five weeks, 2 week session at the very least. Think about it, 200 hours of instruction is a lot any way you slice it. Why handicap yourself if you weren't 100% sure you could hack it?

IMO badmouthing them when it seems that lack of due diligence and prudence were apparent factors is kind of weak. Did you ask any of us that had experience with Sheffield for feedback before committing, or anyone else for that matter??

disgaupin

OneAirplaneBoi
ironically i was coming here to ask people on how it was this distance learning course was... maybe i'll just do the 2 part Kent State course if this is the case... 67% failure rate? my god think i'll pass on that, I wanted to go to Sheffield because I heard amazing things about the school but if this is the case I dont want to take my chances plus I work a Full Time job @ a 135 carrier...

Champcar

Alternative perspective...

IMO badmouthing them when it seems that lack of due diligence and prudence were apparent factors is kind of weak. Did you ask any of us that had experience with Sheffield for feedback before committing, or anyone else for that matter??
I didn't have a say in the matter. Also, I don't believe I was badmouthing, just presenting facts.

MIADX

What's the purpose for them to make the class harder than it really needs to be is my question.
There are other, slower paced options. Plus, they forewarn those that choose the online plus 1-week offering. Let the buyer beware.

Edit: Presumably this option is for:

A. Those that can't afford to devote 5 weeks to an in-person session.

B. Those cost-conscious individuals that may not have funds for the 5-week session.

Most of the study is done online, with deadlines according to a schedule. Cost is lowered because IT overhead is cheaper than an actual full-time instructor. This actually takes much longer than five weeks because of the slower online portion. Nevertheless, the assumption is that on day 1 of the classroom session, you know all you should know and can hit the ground running. This is all contingent upon the quality of your self-study. Ideal? Probably not. Recommended for most? Absolutely not. Possible? Yes. Generally speaking, options are a good thing.

Last edited:

Atc89

ATC89
ironically i was coming here to ask people on how it was this distance learning course was... maybe i'll just do the 2 part Kent State course if this is the case... 67% failure rate? my god think i'll pass on that, I wanted to go to Sheffield because I heard amazing things about the school but if this is the case I dont want to take my chances plus I work a Full Time job @ a 135 carrier...
Do you live in Ohio? Highly recommend Sinclair's program if the location works for you. I thought it was excellent!

westcoastDX

I did the Distance Learning + 5 in 2018 - I passed! It was a LOT of work, and frustrating at times. I don’t think I would have made it through if I didn’t have a multi-engine and instrument rating - which helped out a lot with understanding basic systems of the aircraft, the basics of weather, and reading plates and charts. Without my prior experience, I would have been lost. There were several complete all-nighters sitting at my desk, working on flight plans.

I did think they did a good job warning up front that you have to be extremely committed. Several people in my class didn’t make it through, and several others were on their second go-around there. It’s not for everyone and definitely easier ways if you have time time. I might have chickened out if I had read this forum before. But you have to do what’s best for you! Like others have said, just get the ticket!

disgaupin

OneAirplaneBoi
I noticed Jeppesen has an online program for their Dispatcher course as well... anyone do theirs? I can't find the cost of it anywhere... I shot them an email though

FlyingSioux1

I noticed Jeppesen has an online program for their Dispatcher course as well... anyone do theirs? I can't find the cost of it anywhere... I shot them an email though
I did not take their online (but do know a few that did), but can say that the guys running the program are very fast to reply in my experience. They are very helpful at Jepp and take care of you after you get your cert with them as well.

Atc89

ATC89
I do work in Ohio! Do you know if you can do sinclairs program online?
I don't think so. But, it has been 7 or 8 years since I went through their program, so things may have changed. Their whole aviation program is top notch, so I would definitely check in with them!

A-9er

A gal I went to school with @ Sheffield first tried to do the online course +5; she had to repeat. When she came back, she did the full five weeks, and she was the best student in our class.