Senior FA fired for milk theft.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
I don’t know anything beyond what I’ve swiftly skimmed in the articles and I’m going to, just out of basic laziness and slight bits of human decency I have left and assume that she got wronged.

HOWEVER, a few years ago, there was a super senior, super old male flight attendant that I think was #1 or #2 on the list. You’d assume a salt-of-the-earth, old school flight attendant doing his best because he’s seen the ups and downs and so many industry changes that he’d be a great guy to work with. He was one of the grouchiest, most negative people you would ever meet. Hardly did any work, would allegedly bait other crew members into situations where he could write them up and would (first hand experience here) “Constantly stay on the road so I’ll die on the layover and (the airline) has to pay to send me home”.

There are some sweet older people working that add value and comfort to their colleagues and customers, but there are also those that are the complete opposite that need to volunteer at the animal shelter and be at home watching ”Murder She Wrote”

On the topic, little old lady that got fired for missing milk may be true, but then the attorney might be using that because of our societies expectation that octogenarians are all like sweet and innocent Mrs. Claus when they’re anything BUT in some cases.

I’m withholding judgement.

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
This is super true.
I can't speak for delta but their wholly owned subsidiary had an HR department who already thought they knew the story and I was very good, as were many, at making them look stupid.

"so the pilot is here today because he wouldn't store his weapon in terminal 3. Instead he delayed the flight."
"that is correct"
"and you're pointing to a memo re-released every year pointing to terminal 3 as one storage locker for the weapon."
"that is correct"
"and everyone here is in agreement that terminal 3 does exist and was knocked down 6 years ago"
"yes"
"so the lockers are gone, there is no terminal three, and we're all going to pretend there's some way to store the pilots weapon for his Canada trip."
"I don't like your tone."
"yeah- I don't like your chances with an arbitrator."

Slightly exaggerated for humor.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
I think the airline should do a little bit better job of "ready and willing to assist" expectations. Most pax in the exit row don't actually realize what is being asked of them.
agreed. And many very likely aren’t capable. However the airline only has very limited reasons to not allow someone to sit in the exit rows unfortunately.

Richman

I can't speak for delta but their wholly owned subsidiary had an HR department who already thought they knew the story and I was very good, as were many, at making them look stupid.

"so the pilot is here today because he wouldn't store his weapon in terminal 3. Instead he delayed the flight."
"that is correct"
"and you're pointing to a memo re-released every year pointing to terminal 3 as one storage locker for the weapon."
"that is correct"
"and everyone here is in agreement that terminal 3 does exist and was knocked down 6 years ago"
"yes"
"so the lockers are gone, there is no terminal three, and we're all going to pretend there's some way to store the pilots weapon for his Canada trip."
"I don't like your tone."
"yeah- I don't like your chances with an arbitrator."

Slightly exaggerated for humor.
Most "business school" wonks, and that includes their sub-brethren in HR assume that all data that passes before them is %100 accurate without doing so much as looking out the window.

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
Heck, many pax I see sitting in an exit row would be utterly useless in an emergency evacuation, no matter how they nod their head and answer yes to the question of can they do the job and are they willing.
"Do you agree to do the job? I need a YES answer from each of you."
"Yes. Yes. Yes. Uhuh. Sure. Yes."
Yes turns to Sure, "What's the job?"

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
Rule #1 of standing in front of the big brown desk:

When asked a question by those behind the desk, rest assured that they already know the answer.......
Or they assuredly think they do, but have not a clue... much like the ~80% of all random folks and REMFs one encounters in an average day.

Last edited:

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Yeah. They really think everyone is there for them and they run the company. I don't understand HR people.
I got a tiny peek into the world of management/hr weirdness when I had to take a management skills class at my old employer. As far as I can tell, they lock themselves in meetings with whiteboards and those giant pieces of paper and talk themselves into believing that they’re so much wiser than the people that do the actual work.

CaptainYoda

She wasn't fired for milk theft.
She was fired for pissing off the wrong people.

If you're going to piss off a lot of people, NEVER leave them an opening to fire you.

The milk was that opening.

(is a 79 year old woman REALLY going to be useful during an emergency? or a liability)

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
She wasn't fired for milk theft.
She was fired for pissing off the wrong people.

If you're going to piss off a lot of people, NEVER leave them an opening to fire you.

The milk was that opening.

(is a 79 year old woman REALLY going to be useful during an emergency? or a liability)
We have limited information. Yet, it is truly astounding to me how many on this board don't seem to fathom what is clearly the inelluctible conclusion based on the limited info presented. This is not a crisis of milk stealing. This is a crisis of reading comprehension. And of reason. And of connecting dots. And of assumptions. Lots and lots of assumptions. ...Assumptions assumed due to conditioning. Marketing WORKS, biatches! Now go buy more stuff!

Me? Imma go dance to Talking Heads' "Found a Job".
I'm left laughing... that's all we've got left. :bounce:

Last edited:

Nark

Sheepdog
Most "business school" wonks, and that includes their sub-brethren in HR assume that all data that passes before them is %100 accurate without doing so much as looking out the window.
It’s almost like we had a very heated discussion about this very, exact thing, with reference to a SCOTUS confirmation pick.
Hmmmmmmmm.

bike21

9-5 Ruins Lives
Used to fly Ida on her commute home, spry little woman that was in better shape than most. From what I've heard it's a complex story and the truth is probably in the middle as usual. She was always very nice to us (aren't most commuters?) so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. Still, at 79 isn't it time to walk away?

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
There’s usually at least two sides the story. Like flight attendants hated ”Barbel” in NY, but she treated pilots like kings.

FlyingAccountant

FA I know at Delta says this lady is pretty well known, as she flies essentially every day of the month, pushing nearly 300 credit hours a month. All long haul international. She must be 79 and looks 179.
Yeah, that's what I heard. Flies LAX-SYD pretty much exclusively and does it as much as she legally can per the rest rules. That's ~30 hours RT, so if she does that 10 times/month, on a three day cycle, there's the 300 hours. She spends more time at the layover hotel in Sydney than she does at home.

I guess if you don't have a family and no other outside interests, there's worse ways to spend your time. I can't imagine what she does with the money though - she's never home to enjoy it.

Last edited: