Robin Hood/Stash/Millenial Investing

Serious question, I found some of these Vanguard Index Funds/ETFs on Robin Hood, is there a good reason to go through an institution?

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Serious question, I found some of these Vanguard Index Funds/ETFs on Robin Hood, is there a good reason to go through an institution?
There is worry about the apps failing if there is a huge downturn. The holdings should be protected by the SIPC. Honestly get a Vanguard account. The trades for Vanguard products and many ETFs are free. Plus, the advanced support you get is priceless. We had some off market company shares in an account and they were awesome selling them and figuring out a cost basis. That trade only cost $7.

If you want to dabble in some stocks get Robinhood for the free trades.

citrus

Sound of the suburbs
Agreed, deal directly with Vanguard rather than going through a 3rd party. Vanguard has been around since the 70s, can you say that about Robin Hood?

Vanguard's website is pretty robust, you can get lost in there for hours - tons of content if you want to learn about new subjects.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
I use schwab but that’s just because that’s what my grandpa set up for me back when I was born.

adk

Steals Hotel Toilet Paper
Let me flip that around on you ... if you want to invest in Vanguard funds why wouldn't you just open up an account with Vanguard directly, who have been around for 40ish years and manage about $4 trillion? Why go to robin hood, a middleman who has only been around for a few years?

For what it's worth, the Vanguard app has been able to do everything I've wanted to do. Granted, I'm not a day trader.

Let me flip that around on you ... if you want to invest in Vanguard funds why wouldn't you just open up an account with Vanguard directly, who have been around for 40ish years and manage about $4 trillion? Why go to robin hood, a middleman who has only been around for a few years?

For what it's worth, the Vanguard app has been able to do everything I've wanted to do. Granted, I'm not a day trader.
Just opened a Roth with them actually.

subpilot

Squawking 7600
I just sold 2 shares of a stock in my traditional account... $15 transaction fee. I’m out!

Robinhood is my new account for stock trading.

CIVE_pilot

If you want to trade Vanguard funds just open a Vanguard account. You don't have to pay commission on trading their own funds and you get a certain amount of discounted trades per year. If you just want to throw some money around and gamble with options then use Robinhood. Robinhood sells your trades to an outside firm (that's how they make their money with no commissions) and because of that the execution on your trades can be terrible so be careful.