Retirement Table through 2032

chipdumper

To each his own. $120+, take home car, armed LEO, home every night...

Maybe I’m just too used to being a bureaucrat. All I know is that after the 2008 collapse I had a ton of people asking me in 2009 if my agency was still hiring and I had to tell them “I told you so”.

One lesson I’ve learned in life is that the more risks you take, the more money you’ll make. Personally, I don’t have a problem rolling the dice as I’m financially secure. For the sorry SOB’s with $100k in AvSchool debt, good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDean3204

I think this all boils down to what you personally want out of life. Not everyone wants to gun for the majors, willing to sacrifice anything necessary on the way. Those that do, will probably be the highest financially rewarded in the industry, and that’s good. The more the sacrifice and risk, the higher the reward. Now if one wants to have a stable government job making 120k, there is no issue with that at all. Just don’t complain when your buddies make twice as much to work half of what you do. To each their own and there is no right or wrong answer, just all depends on what you want in life and how much certain rewards mean to you.

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
To each his own. $120+, take home car, armed LEO, home every night...

Maybe I’m just too used to being a bureaucrat. All I know is that after the 2008 collapse I had a ton of people asking me in 2009 if my agency was still hiring and I had to tell them “I told you so”.

One lesson I’ve learned in life is that the more risks you take, the more money you’ll make. Personally, I don’t have a problem rolling the dice as I’m financially secure. For the sorry SOB’s with $100k in AvSchool debt, good luck.

Yeah, none of that interests me. I will personally take making more money, having more days off, and not having to drive to work five days per week.

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
I guess I look at it differently. If I'm away from home, then I'm at work. So that 4 day trip equals 96 hours of work. I'd rather do my 8-12 hour shift and go home.
I guess we do see it a little differently. I hate dealing with traffic, so having to deal with it five days a week would drive me nuts. Plus even with doing four trips per month I still have more time at home. With being home every night like at an office job I am useless in the evenings, so its not really quality time at home.

Cherokee_Cruiser

But where are most of these guys coming from? Fractionals, charter and light to mid size jets? Alex is kind of the exception, but even he came from the charter and old airplane world. I’m not saying I don’t know people who have left 550 and 6000 jobs for the airlines. I know someone who in the past month left a fortune 20, three global vision department for purple. It happens, but a lot less at that level. That is where you want to be. And not in a GIV, Falcon 900B or Global Classic. I would shoot for an in production G500/600/650, Global5500/6500/7500, Falcon 8x etc. Not the same numbers as the airlines obviously but there are enough of these airframes out there in the wild that if you set your goal towards achieving it, you can.

And I would agree that pro standards may not be as common as the airlines simply because of horrible leadership, but to dismiss the reality that there are plenty of corporate flight departments with multiple levels of support both aviation and non aviation related that are on par if not exceeding what the airlines do is just naive.
Sorry, this means nothing to me. Fortune 20 is just a label, the economy tanks and those 3 Globals are gone into thin air as they decide its more cost effective to buy [insert some fractional share or whatever else]. And how many pilots at this 3 Global company? 15? 20? I've heard all about how corporate hiring works in the lucrative gigs. They advertise positions but they already know what they're looking for. It can easily (and often does) become a boys club. You get hired and somehow don't fit in, you're hosed. Or they hire a contract pilot to fill in instead of upgrading you to CA because it's cheaper.

I flew with a guy who's wife worked at Boeing corporate, their jets based at (Gary?). They're all hired as CAs even if you fly right seat and get to fly left seat too. The story he told me that happened with her shocked me. But not surprising, she was flying and the guy was a weak person who was out of line and when called out/corrected, got his gonads in a wad and then made her life miserable. She left and is at Atlas now. And that's Boeing corporate. I can imagine BS like this happening at other places. You can't convince me that a place capped out with 3-6 business jets and a pilot cadre of 20-30 guys makes for a good long term successful career.

Honest question: What happens in these fabulous highest paying corporate gigs if you lose your 1st class medical? And what happens if you lose it permanently and cannot hold a 1st class medical again? Is it "bye Felicia!" ? Or are you then resigned to fly a desk the rest of your career? At our 121 major airline, we'd get 50% of our salary until age 65 or until we get our medical back. What can possibly beat that?

If I work the couple extra days a month as I did for April and May, I could exceed 300k as a 121 CA. But I'm gonna take it easy for the summer and visit family. Corporate guys making 300k-400k? Those are few and far in between, and certainly not the most reliable of jobs. All it takes is you to one day wake up and find yourself on the wrong side of someone higher up than you, and you are done for. We have guys at our major airline from Disney and Boeing. Long term career = 121 far better bet.

Soku39

Guys make half that at the regionals if you value their time. Gub’ment work is “8 and hit the gate”. 40-hr weeks and if you stay a minute over they pay you overtime/bonuses etc. A Fed Pilot gets paid continuously if waiting for passengers or a maintenance delay or whatever.
Job security. It’s not for everyone but when the next 9/11, recession, etc happens those Fed pilots will continue to fly and get fat paychecks. The Law Enforcement Pilots get the 20-and-out (if at least 50yrs old) full retirement package (high three plus SSA supplement until age 62). So get in early so you can retire at 50, get a $50k/yr pension for life plus fly 135 or 121 or whatever for extra spending cash.

Here's the thing, I'll get that when I leave the guard with an 0-5 retirement. I don't need to slave away in Laredo to do so. Thanks to Air Force TSP, Air Force Roth, Air Force medical, Airline 401k and the investing I do on my own, I'll be just fine, while living the life I want to live.

GypsyPilot

I guess I look at it differently. If I'm away from home, then I'm at work. So that 4 day trip equals 96 hours of work. I'd rather do my 8-12 hour shift and go home.
I can go on a week+ long vacation every month. Sometimes two weeks. All without even touching my vacation bank. Most importantly, when I’m done I am done - no taking work home.

I’ve worked in the 8-5 world, and there’s absolutely no comparison how much better my 121 schedule is for time off. We definitely do see things differently... Although I’m curious if you’ve worked a good 121 schedule before?

tlove482

I can go on a week+ long vacation every month. Sometimes two weeks. All without even touching my vacation bank. Most importantly, when I’m done I am done - no taking work home.

I’ve worked in the 8-5 world, and there’s absolutely no comparison how much better my 121 schedule is for time off. We definitely do see things differently... Although I’m curious if you’ve worked a good 121 schedule before?
I have not. I did everything possible to avoid 121. That lifestyle just never appealed to me. If I was chasing money, that would be the way to go without question. I wanted a work/life balance. I'm pretty happy with air ambulance.

GypsyPilot

I have not. I did everything possible to avoid 121. That lifestyle just never appealed to me. If I was chasing money, that would be the way to go without question. I wanted a work/life balance. I'm pretty happy with air ambulance.
If you’re happy, that’s definitely what counts! That’s as important as anything else, no question.

ppragman

FLIPY FLAPS!
Alaska 135 and Air Ambo have consistently provided me with a middle-class income and a decent quality of life where my kids don't call me by my first name. There are draw backs, the 121 guys seem to get a bit more time off but they spend a lot of time away. I may try to go do it when things are paid off but for now when I'm paying down debt and my kids are little this is a good fit.

I don't know how people with kids and a spouse who works make the 121 thing work. That seems kind of terrible.

Soku39

Alaska 135 and Air Ambo have consistently provided me with a middle-class income and a decent quality of life where my kids don't call me by my first name. There are draw backs, the 121 guys seem to get a bit more time off but they spend a lot of time away. I may try to go do it when things are paid off but for now when I'm paying down debt and my kids are little this is a good fit.

I don't know how people with kids and a spouse who works make the 121 thing work. That seems kind of terrible.

Honestly, as long as you're not bottom 5%, you can make it work. Bottom 5% short call at a regional, 5 days plus a junior man, forget about it. I find the worst case scenario to be the most untennable, anything other than that is fine. After 5 years, I've figured out so many ways to be home its stupid.

Stone Cold

So, Michigan Cargo Airline has hired a number of Execjet crews. I met one recently that was a 22 year guy on IOE with us. He was downgraded and needed a lifeline. We've picked up a number of regional lifers with similar stories. They're working out well so far, but don't plan on retiring with a company until you're retired.

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
So, Michigan Cargo Airline has hired a number of Execjet crews. I met one recently that was a 22 year guy on IOE with us. He was downgraded and needed a lifeline. We've picked up a number of regional lifers with similar stories. They're working out well so far, but don't plan on retiring with a company until you're retired.
I love what Michigan Cargo Airline did with the Beastie Boys. He left us too soon.

chipdumper

The Customs pilot jobs aren’t solely embedded in Laredo or El Centro. Most are scattered around the US including Miami, Corpus Christi (AWACS bases IIRC), and Grand Forks (UAV). You’ll find fixed and rotor wing stations all across the USA near the border cities (i.e. Detroit, Buffalo, Seattle, Chicago, Jacksonville, Riverside,etc). Craphole locations? Yup they have bases in those places too like the USVI and Laredo.

I agree with you guys it isn’t for everyone but it is a job for life flying aircraft with the best maintenance budget in the world. Mandatory retirement at 57 (can’t get hired past 37) so the young 20-somethings should seriously consider this. Tuition reimbursement too...

They’re trying to recruit me but I’ll be honest, I’m considering it but I’m looking elsewhere. I’d rather roll the dice.