Resume questions

Bamaaviator

I’m getting ready to take my commercial multi checkride and start putting together my resume for a few regionals. I haven’t obtained a passport yet, nor have I obtained an FCC radio operator permit, but is it a good idea to go ahead and send my resume out now with ‘valid passport’ and ‘FCC radio operator permit’ on it? Even though those are in progress? I’d like to put my resume out ASAP, but wondering if I should wait till I check those boxes. I meet all other requirements to apply. In hindsight I should have done this many months ago and gotten it knocked out, but oh well, lesson learned.

Stone Cold

If I was interviewing you, and you had turned in a resume stating you had both, and I look at the date issued of the passport or RTOP, and it's after your resume was turned in, you'd be gone very soon.

Will they look at that? Probably not, especially at the regional level...but why chance it? Wait until you actually have the credentials before you say you have them.

Stone Cold

Ok, makes sense. My gut was going with what you said. Just wanted to be clear. Thanks.
No problem. Always be honest. It's the best policy. I know you're anxious to get the resume out but be honest on it. Send an initial resume with a cover letter stating you're just waiting to get the documents, then update your resume when completed. At least that's what I'd do.

Best of luck! Let us know where you end up!

Bamaaviator

Thanks. I think I’ll spend some time proofreading it and getting it reviewed during that time to make sure it’s solid, then fire away once all the boxes are checked.

Also, another question, slightly off topic, but related, is how deep do airline interviewers get into the logbooks? My logbooks are very organized, all times up to date, so no issues with that, but I had one VERY difficult student at my last CFI job. To add a little humor after a very frustrating day with him, I made some comments that probably shouldn’t be in there. No profanity or anything, just a little humor to cheer myself up after working with this person, as he took a TON of energy out of me and the other CFI’s who flew with him.

An example entry in the remarks section would be <student’s name-someone please shoot me after today> Lol my gut says to hide that, but do they really look at comments like that with a raised eyebrow? It would be hard to find unless an interviewer was really digging, but I guess I just want to know how much do they dig? Lol

Stone Cold

I've only had 1 airline interview, but the current job did check my logbook. The guy checking had been to Moscow flying Falcons so we discussed Russia for a few minutes. I was the only one I saw him discuss logbooks with, so if I hadn't flown in Moscow, I doubt I would've ever heard anything.

I've heard most don't check, but ymmv. Those comments seem innocuous. If there's something bad, then I'd try to hide it, but comments about your students make it a logbook. I have a note in mine where the student was trying to kill me and that's in the comments. We were doing a simulated engine out and he managed to almost get into a steep spiral at 600' and descending rapidly. I took over and he didn't like me taking over. Students be dumb sometimes.