1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Request to reconsider Second Class Medical

Discussion in 'Ask A Flight Surgeon' started by katzcw, Dec 5, 2017.

1. katzcw

katzcw New Member

My son has a blood clotting disorder. This was unknown to us until he turned 15 and was diagnosed with a PE. He received treatment for 6 months with Lovenox shots twice a day and was cleared without any reoccurrences until 3 weeks ago. He is now 18 and is studying to be a private pilot. I'm told he can still fly as long as his instructor is in the plane with him. What I'm unsure of, is when he needs to request for reconsideration of his medical certificate. The letter from the FAA states they must receive something within 60 days in writing and after a 2-month symptom free delay. However, this is confusing. He will still be on anticoagulants in 60 days and could be denied. Should he go ahead and request for reconsideration and list the medication he is on or wait until a follow up ultrasound is done and shows the DVT to be gone and finished with the medication? The whole 60 days and 2 month symptom free is confusing. Are they considered the same thing or different entities? I don't want him to be denied and not able to get his waiver again.

2. MidlifeFlyer

MidlifeFlyer Well-Known Member

Reconsideration is not the only avenue since even a final denial does not preclude reapplication on a later date. IMO, if you have a medical issue that can result in denial, the best thing to do is find a Senior AME who is willing to work on a consulting basis - not to act on an application but to walk you through the process, advise you on the best strategy, and tell you what you need to put together before to increase the chances of a positive result.

There may be a Senior AME in your area who is willing to act in that advisory capacity. Unfortunate we lost the doc who used to answer those types of questions here. One I know who has done a good job for a number of pilots is Bruce Chien, who also moderates a medical section on the AOPA online forums. His website is http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/

A Life Aloft likes this.