Republic 4439 ATL

JeppUpdater

Everybody is dumping on the guy who asked about the QRH, but what seems to be considered irrelevant to the discussion as that the answer was “no”. I just find that interesting for a number of reasons.
If they felt it was more prudent time wise to get the hell on the ground rather than dawdle around doing a QRH procedure I’m not going to fault them. A decision made in the moment with a barely controllable airplane? No different than a fire on departure, if you land without cracking the book I wouldn’t expect more than “hey write up what happened”*.

*unless you’re employed by Allegiant.

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
Everybody is dumping on the guy who asked about the QRH, but what seems to be considered irrelevant to the discussion as that the answer was “no”. I just find that interesting for a number of reasons.
Listen again, "no we didn't have time". It sure looked like trim runaway on takeoff. And after 13k feet still didn't have it completely under control.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
Crazy stuff. I am very glad it ended well, but I can only imagine what the crew, and pax for that matter, must have been thinking at the time. Very rarely do you hear a flight crew so stressed out in an emergency. The Delta pilot coming on to ask if the Republic crew was doing their job properly was too good to be true, but it is. Good thing there was no traffic in the immediate area below 15,000 feet.

milleR

Listen again, "no we didn't have time". It sure looked like trim runaway on takeoff. And after 13k feet still didn't have it completely under control.
Right, the answer is still “no” though. Not passing judgment, don’t have an opinion. I don’t know what’s in the QRH that could have made their lives easier (or harder). But at the end of the day, in 6+ minutes they didn’t use it. Maybe don’t pillory the guy that asked the question until we know more?

obx

Right, the answer is still “no” though. Not passing judgment, don’t have an opinion. I don’t know what’s in the QRH that could have made their lives easier (or harder). But at the end of the day, in 6+ minutes they didn’t use it. Maybe don’t pillory the guy that asked the question until we know more?
No, pillory the guy. The question added nothing to the successful outcome of that flight. And you don’t know that the PM wasn’t running the QRH after they did whatever they did to get the jet under control wether it was memory items, or just flew the damn airplane. And his first transmission was to say something to the effect of, “I flew that type, perhaps I can lend some expertise.” This wasn’t a student pilot on their first solo that had an emergency. It was two professional pilots handling an emergency in a manner that turned out well. I stand by my assertion that the mainline guy should have piped down.

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
I mean, I'd hope they would run through it after things got under control, in case whatever they accomplished during the initial problem solving didn't later bite them in the rear when they don't have the altitude to play with

milleR

No, pillory the guy. The question added nothing to the successful outcome of that flight. And you don’t know that the PM wasn’t running the QRH after they did whatever they did to get the jet under control wether it was memory items, or just flew the damn airplane. And his first transmission was to say something to the effect of, “I flew that type, perhaps I can lend some expertise.” This wasn’t a student pilot on their first solo that had an emergency. It was two professional pilots handling an emergency in a manner that turned out well. I stand by my assertion that the mainline guy should have piped down.
Ok, but unless you’re personally acquainted with the Republic crew, you know as much about the guy that offered assistance as you do the crew in the plane. We don’t know what he told the ground controller to establish bona fides and it was unclear that things were well in hand when he chimed in.

obx

Ok, but unless you’re personally acquainted with the Republic crew, you know as much about the guy that offered assistance as you do the crew in the plane. We don’t know what he told the ground controller to establish bona fides and it was unclear that things were well in hand when he chimed in.
And, as a former instructor and check airman on that jet, I can’t imagine a scenario in which I—while on the ground and in a different type and removed from flying said type for some time—would have ever considered offering some “bona fides” to ground to patch me through to the crew dealing with an emergency. You’re right, I know little about them other than they’re both typed and current in a jet that I no longer fly. He was out of line. Plain and simple.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
And, as a former instructor and check airman on that jet, I can’t imagine a scenario in which I—while on the ground and in a different type and removed from flying said type for some time—would have ever considered offering some “bona fides” to ground to patch me through to the crew dealing with an emergency. You’re right, I know little about them other than they’re both typed and current in a jet that I no longer fly. He was out of line. Plain and simple.
Fly, navigate, communicate, and shut the frak up.

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
"have you tried turning it off and then back on again?"

milleR

Edit: ok