Republic 4439 ATL

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
So I was departing out of the north sector and got some “surprise” vectors and some altitude amendments because of an “out of control airplane” (according to ATC)

Gladly it all got resolved but does anyone know what happened tonight?

1573101245562.jpeg

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
From how ATC sounded when he steered us away, I think everyone pooped a little, both onboard and in the TRACON room.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
were they on your frequency? trying to pull up liveatc
I was on the north departure frequency as 2010. If you can find that, thats when departure gave me a fairly macabre description of what as up.

Last edited:

BigZ

I heard
- sourced to the FO side (granted, most planes land better from the FO side)
- stab trim 1 and 2 systems off (so runaway pitch trim suspected)
- in direct mode - will killing the stab trim do that, or they pressed the Flight Controls Mode - Elevators button to shut off the elevators FCM?

Any 175 pilots here feel like chiming in? It does sound like the thing was doing something weird in pitch obviously. Using bank angle to control attitude (big circles) kinda makes sense too then.

Acrofox

All dragon~
I heard
- sourced to the FO side (granted, most planes land better from the FO side)
- stab trim 1 and 2 systems off (so runaway pitch trim suspected)
- in direct mode - will killing the stab trim do that, or they pressed the Flight Controls Mode - Elevators button to shut off the elevators FCM?

Any 175 pilots here feel like chiming in? It does sound like the thing was doing something weird in pitch obviously. Using bank angle to control attitude (big circles) kinda makes sense too then.
I don't have any information on this, but my ears are very perked.

Direct mode isn't that big of a deal, flying dynamics wise. And stab trim 1/2 cutout is standard for trim runaway. There are very limited situations where you go to direct mode and stay there, mostly involving some serious FCM normal mode failure.

The 175 FCM system is more of a modifier to the original control inputs based on higher-level functions. If the FCMs were disconnected, either they had a normal mode FCM failure or they suspected that the FCS was in some way malfunctioning.

I will be paying VERY close attention to this to see what happened. I won't speculate beyond that, other than to say that if they were in direct mode with the stab 1/2 cutouts pressed in, something was very likely quite wrong.