Actually that was a summary of an interview the NTSB conducted with the Pinnacle System Operation Control (SOC) Duty Manager on the day of the accident flight.Whoever wrote whatever article you are referencing was wrong. I'm guessing they probably never dispatched a flight. Whether you can dispatch a flight or not depends on visibility. Whether you can shoot the approach... different story. Dispatching into crappy weather with an alternate allows you to at least go take a look.
Speaking of dispatching the flight here's a segment from the NTSB interview of the dispatcher who released the flight.
It was a very busy shift on the night of the accident because of the weather. He pulled up the flight release, but it could not be dispatched because of the weather forecast. The restriction was because of a tailwind at Traverse City and he anticipated that the flight would be canceled. At 0100Z, he telephoned the captain and told him that the trip would probably be cancelled due to winds. At 0130Z, the Duty Manager (“Scott”) told him that another airline had just landed at Traverse City, and that they would try to change the forecast and send the flight. The forecast was changed by Northwest Airlines meteorology department, and then the flight was legal to release. He had a discussion with a Captain twice over the telephone about the weather and the winds and they both agreed that the flight could be dispatched safely. The flight took a 50-minute delay after it blocked out.