Regional Training Delay

Drchaser

Hello All,

I am about to reach my R-ATP minimums and have started to apply to the regionals. I was planning on doing part 135 first but since reaching the majors is the goal, getting into the 121 world sooner rather than later seems to be the smarter choice. My question is would you wait a few months to go to the more "popular" regionals (due to QOL, pay, flow, etc) because of training backlog? Or would you go to a smaller regional like Commuter Air with little to no delays, short reserve time and ton of flying available but while sacrificing pay and QOL? Will the time frame waiting really make a difference in terms of career advancement long term?

I understand that it's different for everyone but if you were to commute from BOS where would you go and why?

Cherokee_Cruiser

Which regionals have a BOS base? Envoy? I would try and do a BOS regional first that can get you in training.

If not that and you have to commute, I'd take CommutAir and commute to EWR (Fedex does BOS/EWR nonstop runs that can save you in a crunch).

Drchaser

Which regionals have a BOS base? Envoy? I would try and do a BOS regional first that can get you in training.

If not that and you have to commute, I'd take CommutAir and commute to EWR (Fedex does BOS/EWR nonstop runs that can save you in a crunch).
I looked at Envoy and they do not have a BOS base. The closest base would be LGA. From what I am reading at other forums FOs were saying they are overstaffed and only have flown like 150 hours in a year. Republic is not offering class dates until October. CommutAir looks good right now because they do not have a training delays and ton of flying available. However, I have heard they do not have the best reputation as a regional (QOL, pay, etc). So it is worth to wait and go to a more reputable regional but while sacrificing seniority and flight time?

Last edited:

v1valarob

Or would you go to a smaller regional like Commuter Air with little to no delays, short reserve time and ton of flying available but while sacrificing pay and QOL? Will the time frame waiting really make a difference in terms of career advancement long term?

I understand that it's different for everyone but if you were to commute from BOS where would you go and why?
If you have any questions about CommutAir in particular, let us know. We'll answer them all. Current training footprint seems to be 90 - 110 days. There is no real backlog in the sim, which is where most backlogs occur.

EWR is the junior base, and guys are sitting reserve 1-2 months max before holding a line with 13 - 16 days off.

Looks like theres roughly 10 - 11 flights daily on UA between Boston and Newark.

Rodger Wilco

Go to the regional that you think you could live at should the music stop and you get stuck for a decade or more.

Jordan93

FWIW my buddy and a few people from his class were dicked around by training for 8 months at Commutair and they finally resigned. Not sure if this is the norm but that’s just rediculous.

Drchaser

I looked at Envoy and they do not have a BOS base. The closest base would be LGA. From what I am reading at other forums FOs were saying they are overstaffed and only have flown like 150 hours in a year. Republic is not offering class dates until October. CommutAir looks good right now because they do not have a training delays and ton of flying available. However, I have heard they do not have the best reputation as a regional (QOL, pay, etc). So it is worth to wait and go to a more reputable regional but while sacrificing seniority and flight time?

Drchaser

FWIW my buddy and a few people from his class were dicked around by training for 8 months at Commutair and they finally resigned. Not sure if this is the norm but that’s just rediculous.
What was the issue? I thought there was no training delays with them. My top three was Republic, Envoy and Endeavor but they all seem to be having major training delays and over staffing, based on what I have been reading online.

Jordan93

What was the issue? I thought there was no training delays with them. My top three was Republic, Envoy and Endeavor but they all seem to be having major training delays and over staffing, based on what I have been reading online.
That was a year ago so I’m sure things have changed. There were a lot of delays on the embraer apparently.

Yakob

Grand Prognosticator Nominee
That was a year ago so I’m sure things have changed. There were a lot of delays on the embraer apparently.
The training delays on the EMB-145 is no longer an issue, and the quality of the training seems to have improved as well. During 2017 we had an extremely high washout rate, but the washout rate is more normal now. We also had people waiting a good 6 months for sims because the company didn't reserve enough slots. I do still hear bad things about the quality of the instruction occasionally (and when I went through Embraer transition a year ago some of it was definitely lacking) but it's better than it was.

Hello All,

I am about to reach my R-ATP minimums and have started to apply to the regionals. I was planning on doing part 135 first but since reaching the majors is the goal, getting into the 121 world sooner rather than later seems to be the smarter choice. My question is would you wait a few months to go to the more "popular" regionals (due to QOL, pay, flow, etc) because of training backlog? Or would you go to a smaller regional like Commuter Air with little to no delays, short reserve time and ton of flying available but while sacrificing pay and QOL? Will the time frame waiting really make a difference in terms of career advancement long term?

CommutAir still has its issues, though, and now that Great Lakes is out of business I believe we are the very lowest paying regional. Our contract is terrible and although you would hopefully not be on reserve for long, we do have some of the worst reserve rules in the industry (almost all reserve is 8 hour airport reserve shifts, for instance- very little short call). On the bright side, you would probably get EWR which as mentioned wouldn't be a terrible commute from BOS; I have known a few people here who do that commute and there are very frequent flights, many of which are on JetBlue which can be easier to get on since they don't overbook.

I would still recommend going to a better paying regional and/or one with a flow over C5, assuming you don't have to wait for a class date, even if there would be training delays after you start class. However I know at some of the better regionals they are giving class dates that aren't until June or so. If that would be the alternative, it might make sense to come to C5 or another less desirable regional and get a seniority number. That way you'd already have a job at the airlines if the music stops between now and next summer, and those June classes end up getting cancelled. Definitely a tough decision, though- I suppose you could always interview at both and (assuming you get hired at both) leave for the more desirable regional after spending a few months at the less desirable one; or turn down the offer if you decide you don't mind staying at the less desirable one with a sooner class date.

daydreamer

Can to
Can you elaborate on this?

Most guys are finishing within 3-4 months max

Yakob

Grand Prognosticator Nominee
Can to

I don't know the person Jordan is talking about, but most likely it was when the company neglected to reserve enough sim blocks before other 145 operators snatched them, and there were very long training delays as a result. There were also some serious issues with the quality of the training for the first 1-1.5 years we had the 145. For example I was hired in late 2016 and got the Dash, but the people in my class who got the 145 had to wait up to 6 months for sims, and in some cases, just for systems class. From what I heard people were also being given incorrect information about the 145 in training, and the training program was under very heavy scrutiny from the FAA; as a result there was a disturbingly large number of checkride failures and washouts.

Drchaser

The training delays on the EMB-145 is no longer an issue, and the quality of the training seems to have improved as well. During 2017 we had an extremely high washout rate, but the washout rate is more normal now. We also had people waiting a good 6 months for sims because the company didn't reserve enough slots. I do still hear bad things about the quality of the instruction occasionally (and when I went through Embraer transition a year ago some of it was definitely lacking) but it's better than it was.

CommutAir still has its issues, though, and now that Great Lakes is out of business I believe we are the very lowest paying regional. Our contract is terrible and although you would hopefully not be on reserve for long, we do have some of the worst reserve rules in the industry (almost all reserve is 8 hour airport reserve shifts, for instance- very little short call). On the bright side, you would probably get EWR which as mentioned wouldn't be a terrible commute from BOS; I have known a few people here who do that commute and there are very frequent flights, many of which are on JetBlue which can be easier to get on since they don't overbook.

I would still recommend going to a better paying regional and/or one with a flow over C5, assuming you don't have to wait for a class date, even if there would be training delays after you start class. However I know at some of the better regionals they are giving class dates that aren't until June or so. If that would be the alternative, it might make sense to come to C5 or another less desirable regional and get a seniority number. That way you'd already have a job at the airlines if the music stops between now and next summer, and those June classes end up getting cancelled. Definitely a tough decision, though- I suppose you could always interview at both and (assuming you get hired at both) leave for the more desirable regional after spending a few months at the less desirable one; or turn down the offer if you decide you don't mind staying at the less desirable one with a sooner class date.
Yakob thank you for the thoughtful answer. Republic was my number one choice but they are not taking people until October. What you said was exactly what I was thinking. I might be wrong but it does not seem like a smart idea to wait that long for a class date while I could have gained a ton of flight time at another smaller regional and get closer the 1000 hours required for captain.

Yakob thank you for the thoughtful answer. Republic was my number one choice but they are not taking people until October. What you said was exactly what I was thinking. I might be wrong but it does not seem like a smart idea to wait that long for a class date while I could have gained a ton of flight time at another smaller regional and get closer the 1000 hours required for captain.
Have you checked out Horizon too?

Jordan93

Can to

This was about a year ago so I’m sure things have changed. But my buddy was given like 1 sim session, then a few weeks off, had to relearn some stuff because of the big break. When he was finally towards the end of the training footprint, instructors would tell him he almost ready but still needs a little more work. Every instructor would tell him he needs to work on XXXXX then they would sign him off. He goes to the next sim session and the things he did good on, the instructors said he needed work. So it was basically lack of standardization and long breaks that caused to him resign.

QXDX

Hello All,

I would choose a company I could be happy at long term if my career aspirations didn't pan out.

Zondaracer

SkyWest has a LGA base for the E175. But if you are considering them at all, get your app in ASAP since it’s starting to take longer and longer to get a reply from the recruiters. I think this is due to the fact that SkyWest has a new pay package and also since Endeavor and Republic are handing out class dates 8-9 months out, more people are applying to SkyWest.

http://pilotdomiciles.com/

Rodger Wilco

Yeah I heard a *rumor that skywest has 140 new hires in January alone. Idk how they can possibly put that many through sim at the same time and still do recurrent/upgrades.

*its only a rumor not verified info here!