Reexamination of Airmen Tested by Michael A. Puehler

///AMG

As is usual in this kind of situation...

What is Something Else for $20MM, Alex?

Other great Jeopardy questions for the aviation community to consider:

How does a 121 operator drive a perfectly good 767 into a bayou?
Interesting you said this. I had wondered if this whole kerfuffle is fallout from that investigation....as in this guy was either the FO's check airman at some point, or they are just generally auditing training entities in response to the revelations from the NTSB findings. The timing seems to marry up at least.

TUCKnTRUCK

That guy
Sure, we can go do all
The commercial maneuvers in the Jet. Mr. FAA please supply me with a DPE properly trained, willing and ready to do them. Hope he’s ready for stalls!

Dealt with this periodically at FSI - in one instance it happened to one of my FSI copilots. The phone call with the ASI generally went like this,”Hi Mr.FAA - TNT PM and FSI, I’m here with Mr.Check-ride I’m concerned that he doesn’t have the money or recent time in a 172 to make him ready to jump in and re-test. Would you accept a type rating in the hawker so long as we test all subjects as specified in the (Appropriate PTS for questioned certificate) and record the results?”

“Mr.FAA - Sure, that works for us. Please pass along the record of training/checking and we’ll consider it done. Advise Mr.Check ride that he cannot exercise his privileges until checking is complete”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cazadores

Right!? It's negligence on the part of the FAA, if you did a flight review or passed a higher checkride, you should be off the hook here. The FAA can't keep their own ASIs from being incompetent, that's not the pilot's fault.

This could be career ending to a pilot. Utter, •.
I've known of a few situations where the FAA decides they don't like a DPE and go after the certs from check rides years prior. At this point I'm sure we all know a few.

It happens way to often, and i couldn't agree with you more.

It is, utter garbage. Barring any proof of malfeasance, bribery, fraud on the part of the applicant, the FAA is the one with the issue. The DPE is designated by the FAA, the applicant contacts the examiner because they are designated by the FAA, and in good faith completes an examination as administered by the examiner, designated as such by the FAA. Done deal.

This is bullying to cover for incompetence "because we can". If the FAA can't vet their DPEs, and make the position more attractive to professionals in the industry who demonstrate higher integrity, thats their problem to fix, not some hapless pilot who lost the DPE lottery years after the fact.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Space Monkey

I've known of a few situations where the FAA decides they don't like a DPE and go after the certs from check rides years prior. At this point I'm sure we all know a few.

It is, utter garbage. Barring any proof of malfeasance, bribery, fraud on the part of the applicant, the FAA is the one with the issue. The DPE is designated by the FAA, the applicant contacts the examiner because they are designated by the FAA, and in good faith completes an examination as administered by the examiner, designated as such by the FAA. Done deal.

This is bullying to cover for incompetence "because we can". If the FAA can't vet their DPEs, and make the position more attractive to professionals in the industry who demonstrate higher integrity, thats their problem to fix, not some hapless pilot who lost the DPE lottery years after the fact.

Moral/Constitutional integrity of institutional values, mission and culture; institutional adherence to cultural values; and management to align and reward alignment of institutional activities with core institutional values.... These are keys to public-service success in any institution. When institutional culture and/or perspective, and/or values are compromised, then corruption occurs. After that, all bets are off.

Last edited:

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Moral/Constitutional integrity of institutional values, mission and culture; institutional adherence to cultural values; and management to align and reward alignment of institutional activities with core institutional values.... These are keys to public-service success in any institution. When institutional culture and/or perspective, and/or values are compromised, then corruption occurs. After that, all bets are off.
You're right, we should abolish the FAA, those guys are not very nice and life would be a lot easier.

GoDawgsGo

This guy who wasn't even a DPE. He was a full time FAA examiner, which makes your point even more valid.