Rant

captainphil

Ok, I need to vent a little bit so I thought i'd do it here. We got this new performance leader at my station to supervise our airline operations on a daily basis, and to put it nicely, he is very rude and hypocritical. When someone messed up scheduling ground crews to work flights, we got yelled at by him and written up when we went outside 1 minute late because someone had confused the times on the computer when setting up blocks . He has yelled at many people, myself included, to put away our cellphones when in the bagroom or else we all get written up and sent home, and what does he do? Just what her told me and many others not to no less than 5 mins later. Lead by example I say. What should I do? I feel like I can't bring this up to any of my managers as I fear it will cost my job. I came in here loving t his job , and don't get me wrong, I still love what I do. But being belittled and talked down to by this guy like i'm a second class citizen is really sucking the joy right out of my work. I don't want to quit Delta, but this guy instills fear in many of the other ramp agents by running the operation with an iron fist. Your advice?

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Do you need a cell phone to do your job? Does he?

I don't think it would cost your job. Not sure what you have to complain about though.

captainphil

Do you need a cell phone to do your job? Does he?

I don't think it would cost your job. Not sure what you have to complain about though.
No we do not, i'm just saying that it is dead wrong, especially as a performance LEADER, to do the same thing you just yelled in someones face about not to do. This guy always belittles people, threatens us with disciplinary action when someone else messes up instead of putting the blame where it belongs. Basically just treats everyone like dirt.

SeanD

Eventually production quality at your place is going to slow because of this guy taking too much time to belittle you all which in turn causes fear and anger which leads to stress. People dont work well under stress. Give it some time, the guy is already digging his way out of a job.

captainphil

Eventually production quality at your place is going to slow because of this guy taking too much time to belittle you all which in turn causes fear and anger which leads to stress. People dont work well under stress. Give it some time, the guy is already digging his way out of a job.
I hope you are right. This guy is a transfer from JFK which makes me wonder if they already had enough of him at JFK too.

SeanD

I hope you are right. This guy is a transfer from JFK which makes me wonder if they already had enough of him at JFK too.
Give it a month. Like I said, when the performance starts dwindling management wont be coming after you.

If you or anyone else cannot respectfully disagree, or talk to this person or a person of management at their job without fear of disciplinary action up to and including termination. My thinking (at least related to me and my personality) is to A.) confront that person (respectfully). Or B.) Start looking for a new job, and leave when you find one.

As Sean said people don't work well under that type of stress/environment. Moreover this guy is counting on fear, and using it as a weapon to his advantage. With his title he probably isn't used to being questioned, being wrong or disagreed with. He's probably coming from the mindset that he's always right and everyone else is wrong.

If I was disciplined unfairly or wrongly by him (again this is just me). Or if he talked to me in a disrespectful manner we'd have a (respectful) conversation. About how I disagree with his decision, and how he will talk to me in the future, and how he won't.

People only get away with what we allow them to. And it seems like this guy, due to his job title is used to getting away with anything and everything. I'd show him (again, respectfully) that I'm not the one...

HerrGruyere

I wonder if this guy is shorter than everybody. Shorter people in positions of management can get angrier easier - especially if you're tall. Do your coworkers dilly dally all the time and use their phones or are they doing work like they are supposed to? I would probably have no problem with someone checking their phone during downtime, but when there's stuff to be done you should put the phone away.

When I worked at Jiffy Lube, nobody would ever just get to work cleaning up during the downtime before closing. People would just sit around on their phones or talk or smoke. I would be mopping up and sweeping so that we could leave earlier. ...Come to think of it, they probably didn't do anything because I was the one mopping. Anyway, the point is to make sure your employees are utilizing their time correctly.

X-Forces

Big Black Guy
Ok, I need to vent a little bit so I thought i'd do it here. We got this new performance leader at my station to supervise our airline operations on a daily basis, and to put it nicely, he is very rude and hypocritical. When someone messed up scheduling ground crews to work flights, we got yelled at by him and written up when we went outside 1 minute late because someone had confused the times on the computer when setting up blocks . He has yelled at many people, myself included, to put away our cellphones when in the bagroom or else we all get written up and sent home, and what does he do? Just what her told me and many others not to no less than 5 mins later. Lead by example I say. What should I do? I feel like I can't bring this up to any of my managers as I fear it will cost my job. I came in here loving t his job , and don't get me wrong, I still love what I do. But being belittled and talked down to by this guy like i'm a second class citizen is really sucking the joy right out of my work. I don't want to quit Delta, but this guy instills fear in many of the other ramp agents by running the operation with an iron fist. Your advice?
First thing I though after reading your rant.......paragraphs go a long way! Try em';) (Then again it is a rant and I know what it is like to write in anger)

All kidding aside, my second thought was "Welcome to the real world." Absolutely no insult intended there at all, so don't take it the wrong way. It sounds like a classic "New sheriff in town" mentality which is not uncommon, particularly with management personal in a new lead position.

My advice would be to hang low for a while. If indeed this person is there as a performance leader, you can bet that, for at least the short term, the company will be behind him. If the Draconian attitude you describe is truly over the top then what SeanD described will go into play. They would probably associate his arrival with a reduction in productivity, eventuality, and question his methods, perhaps leading to new adventures in his career:D.

However, and this is a big however, if he is new to the position and you are the only squeaky wheel, you might get a unfavorable reaction to your complaining.

Last bit of advice. You might think that your other work colleagues feel the same, and they might. They might even grip about it as well, and that's fine too. However, don't believe that ANYONE has your back if you are going to go make a stand! I have fallen victim to that in the past in a somewhat similar situation. All to often people will talk about how they are not going to put up with a situation a work......This is crap!!!..........I am going in to give them a piece of my mind!!!!!! Then in the end do nothing. Don't be the guy that storms in, guns blazing, believing you have to support of your peers only to find yourself alone and out in the cold, and a very easy target.

So my advice, ride it out for awhile and suffer in silence. Good luck.

Maurus

The Great Gazoo
Can HR help with such a case? He seems to be creating a hostile workplace via harassment type of methods. It is one thing to have management constantly looking over your shoulder. It is another to have them yelling at you constantly.

Is he cursing and name calling to people as well or is he just yelling cause he can?

I have been in that position. Sometimes you got to know when to just get up and walk away.

HRDiva

jskibo

Done
I take a bit different approach when I take over a new department / division / group, however I have seen those that use this guys approach.

All good advice above, you really don't want to be the nail sticking up alone.

I'll add what I ask of my employees, if you have an issue with a process, rule, operation, instruction, etc... its all well and good to complain about it however why not try coming to me pointing out what you don't agree with and what can be done differently to acheive the same or similar results?

If you come to me complaining all the time about Mr X or Process Y I'll definately remember you, but if you come to me saying X doesn't work, but I think by doing "This" to X it may just work better, then I'll remember you in a bit different light.

rframe

pǝʇɹǝʌuı
One thing to consider, is maybe your station does have bad performance and dude's pointing out real problems. You might have always known this behavior as acceptable as that's what you were trained into. Be open to the idea that you do need improvement. You often wont see eye to eye with managers, but you need to work with them, not against them or the only person you'll hurt is yourself.

Cessnaflyer

Other things to make it a less hostile environment would be to small talk the manager. Ask him how his day is going, the weather something to start conversation before he can start yelling at you.

Autothrust Blue

"Duuuuuude."
For what it's worth, being heads down on your cellphone on the ramp is a really bad idea. And I've not been to the bagroom, but your cell phone is not necessary to your job.

Advice? Grin and bear it. Do your job. Display active compliance with Delta policy and procedures.

I take a bit different approach when I take over a new department / division / group, however I have seen those that use this guys approach.

All good advice above, you really don't want to be the nail sticking up alone.

I'll add what I ask of my employees, if you have an issue with a process, rule, operation, instruction, etc... its all well and good to complain about it however why not try coming to me pointing out what you don't agree with and what can be done differently to acheive the same or similar results?

If you come to me complaining all the time about Mr X or Process Y I'll definately remember you, but if you come to me saying X doesn't work, but I think by doing "This" to X it may just work better, then I'll remember you in a bit different light.
Yes indeed. If I complain about something, I have a solution to it. Otherwise what I'm saying isn't and should not be taken seriously. (I mean, I am a pilot. I complain for complaining's sake, it's just what we do best, besides than drink coffee and sit on our hands while waiting for the ramp to do their thing.)

When a certain airline bought a certain other airline, they sent a new chief pilot out from headquarters to the Seattle base to, and I quote, "clean up the Seattle base." If you march in like that, well, you won't get a very good reception. And, in fact, the guy did not, and was quickly recalled to headquarters, and one of SEA's "own" installed instead.
One thing to consider, is maybe your station does have bad performance and dude's pointing out real problems. You might have always known this behavior as acceptable as that's what you were trained into. Be open to the idea that you do need improvement. You often wont see eye to eye with managers, but you need to work with them, not against them or the only person you'll hurt is yourself.
This too.

captainphil

I wonder if this guy is shorter than everybody. Shorter people in positions of management can get angrier easier - especially if you're tall. Do your coworkers dilly dally all the time and use their phones or are they doing work like they are supposed to? I would probably have no problem with someone checking their phone during downtime, but when there's stuff to be done you should put the phone away.

When I worked at Jiffy Lube, nobody would ever just get to work cleaning up during the downtime before closing. People would just sit around on their phones or talk or smoke. I would be mopping up and sweeping so that we could leave earlier. ...Come to think of it, they probably didn't do anything because I was the one mopping. Anyway, the point is to make sure your employees are utilizing their time correctly.
That's just it, we are in the bagroom with nothing to do and he says this. But when we are outside in publics view, he's on his cellphone texting his friends, WHEN THERE IS STUFF TO DO! It makes me furious that someone in his position does this.

Cessnaflyer

That's just it, we are in the bagroom with nothing to do and he says this. But when we are outside in publics view, he's on his cellphone texting his friends, WHEN THERE IS STUFF TO DO! It makes me furious that someone in his position does this.
I think you should reconsider what makes you furious. You're going to have a hard life a head of you.