Radio Relay Etiquette

hammerhat

Few days ago I heard on the radio another flight was trying to call the approach control a dozen times with no response. The frequency was kind of busy but not that busy, I was flying with VFR flight following and the controller called my traffic couple times. At some point I started thinking about offering poor guy to relay his transmission. He got the reponse eventually but I'm still wondering what's the proper etiquette (or better regulation) to follow in such cases?

mikecweb

Unless it's GoJets or Silver, they're probably going to the wrong airport anyways.

In all seriousness help each other out when in doubt, with the mandatory reporting ATC has to do now we're all a weak radio away from a letter in the file.

JayAre

We have to do this a lot in Elko, NV. There is a bad repeater and we all have to help each other out with relays. Just professional courtesy and it speeds up IFR arrival and departures IMO. I'm sure it depends with other areas.

Bernoulli Fan

Controller
I know I would appreciate you letting me know someone is trying to call me if it doesn't seem that busy on frequency. Sometimes I'm on the landline for a while, but it could also be the pilot calling is on the wrong frequency and I can get him the right one.

TripSix

Yeah, I'd want to know.

As already stated, just a quick "hey do you hear XXX calling?" would suffice.

:)

TripSix

Almost. 1% I was on the landline.

3% is giving "approach shiny jeeeeeet 123 with you, parking XX, do ya need the speeds?????" another chance at something that remotely resembles a check in with a shred of pertinent information before they get the, "shiny jeeeeeeet 123, current ATIS code, entire weather observation, verify you're out of (alt), descending to (alt), comply with the speeds on the arrival, expect runway (not the one you wanted based on where you park)," from me.

Or would that fall under the "I was ignoring you" category?

Bernoulli Fan

Controller
Almost. 1% I was on the landline.

3% is giving "approach shiny jeeeeeet 123 with you, parking XX, do ya need the speeds?????" another chance at something that remotely resembles a check in with a shred of pertinent information before they get the, "shiny jeeeeeeet 123, current ATIS code, entire weather observation, verify you're out of (alt), descending to (alt), comply with the speeds on the arrival, expect runway (not the one you wanted based on where you park)," from me.

Or would that fall under the "I was ignoring you" category?

I was going to say he forgot: 10% Busy stuffing face with pizza or wings.

Bernoulli Fan

Controller
Pizza, hot pockets, cereal, sandwiches, tacos, etc. But wings? Please tell me you're not one of those guys who gets up and leaves a sticky keyboard in a pitch black room! I KNOW you know what I'm talking about ;)
I wipe my hands on the back of the relieving controller after he sits down, in the guise of pointing something out that I forgot during the briefing. One hand down his shirt back, one hand waving toward scope, no more BBQ sauce!

TripSix

Wait what the hell do you do in there?
Who knows. But there is nothing more disgusting than reaching out to slew a trackball in a pitch black room and have it be sticky. You can always tell it has happened when you hear a bunch of hell being raised and then see someone beating feet in that direction with some hand sanitizer and alcohol wipes.

Well, there is one thing worse: we've had a DB in the past who thought it was cute to stick gum under the console when they were done chewing it. That lasted about a month.

We have a Cheeto bandit too. That one likes to point all over the scope (and actually touch it) when giving briefings.

Seriously, worse than kids...

TripSix

I wipe my hands on the back of the relieving controller after he sits down, in the guise of pointing something out that I forgot during the briefing. One hand down his shirt back, one hand waving toward scope, no more BBQ sauce!
That's just wrong, LOL. The closest I've gotten to that was an iced coffee incident. Got myself, the guy to my left and the guy to my right. But worse, it was under the white book so I was SOL on coffee :/

genot

Pizza, hot pockets, cereal, sandwiches, tacos, etc. But wings? Please tell me you're not one of those guys who gets up and leaves a sticky keyboard in a pitch black room! I KNOW you know what I'm talking about ;)
I know I'll never forget a chow run to Buffalo Wild Wings. One guy didn't like spicy, another did. The Blazin' wings found their way to the wrong scope and hilarity ensued. I think the worst are the guys who carry dip bottles into the radar room. For the love of God use the trash can. Nobody is going to see it and nobody runs the risk of drinking it on accident.

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
1.) I was in the middle of my joke!
2.) I just took a big bite of my sandwich.
3.) This is SoCal Approach. I'll answer when you stop calling me Ontario Approach.
4.) Use your correct tail number. I'll answer when you stop calling yourself Triple Nickle Charlie Brown.
5.) (Mid shift one person) There is a speaker in the bathroom but no transmitter.

fbm2009

I never get ignored when I'm in FAA land. Purely because my silly Australian accent has the entire radar room in giggles (or so I like to tell myself anyway).

Its either that or "lets just answer this guy so he stops talking to us sooner"

greg1016

Trustworthy Source
I never get ignored when I'm in FAA land. Purely because my silly Australian accent has the entire radar room in giggles (or so I like to tell myself anyway).

Its either that or "lets just answer this guy so he stops talking to us sooner"
Foreign accents are quite common where I work, I would imagine any center that has an international airport in their bounds is used to it. At least you are a native english-speaker

mikecweb

Had a Falcon help us out at o'dark 30 last week coming up from S. America. We were 50 miles east of nowhere and couldn't get ahold of Cenamer Control but with some relays we were able to find the right frequency.