PSA pilot indicted for 2015 triple murder

Old Pete

curmudgeon
I have to sit down and read more because I figure if I had a beef with my neighbor who became a federal witness in a case against me, but then he magically turns up dead, I can’t see this taking so long to connect the dots.

I gotta be missing something.
I’m not sure why you say it took so long to “ connect the dots” both Boris and I pointed out that he was suspected of this crime almost Immediately. Maybe I just don’t understand what you mean by “connect the dots”. A better question is why did it take so long to arrest and indict him after they “connected the dots”? There are many reasons for that.

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
I’m not sure why you say it took so long to “ connect the dots” both Boris and I pointed out that he was suspected of this crime almost Immediately. Maybe I just don’t understand what you mean by “connect the dots”. A better question is why did it take so long to arrest and indict him after they “connected the dots”? There are many reasons for that.
You get one shot, and there’s no statute of limitations on murder. Might as well get it right.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
I say with you checking in with the flash and looking for em’ on da fish finder
As much as I hate "with a flash", as I think it's redundant crap, "Flash" is indeed in the Joint Brevity manual. Specifically its:

"Flash (system): Temporarily turn on pre-briefed identification, friend or foe (IFF) mode or system."

Problem is, this one that is supposed to be brevity, isn't. When issued an instruction to ident by ATC, the reply isn't a verbal one, it's an electronic one, as seem by the controller on his scope when you press the button. I've petitioned for Flash to be removed from Joint Brevity, but have never received a response.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Problem is, this one that is supposed to be brevity, isn't. When issued an instruction to ident by ATC, the reply isn't a verbal one, it's an electronic one, as seem by the controller on his scope
I know not every controller agrees with me (they’re wrong), but I want a verbal acknowledgment when I tell you to ident. Doesn’t have to be anything more than your call sign, but something so I know you heard me. This way if I don’t see anyone ident, I know it’s not because you didn’t hear me.

Just like when I issue you a squawk, I want you to read it back because it is not uncommon at all for it to be read back incorrectly. I’d rather take the extra couple seconds to verify you heard me correctly than have to repeat myself and start the process all over.

Last edited:

Richman

I'll take issue with the bolded comment. There are a lot of highly intelligent sociopaths/psychopaths. It's not their intellect, or the lack there of, that always gets them caught. Yes, definitely there are some dumb criminals in the world. But for the really smart ones, it's usually their attention-seeking/acting out deviant behaviors. Self-destructive, risk taking behaviors. Lack of impulse control issues. Extreme narcissism, believing that they're so smart and that everyone else is so stupid. That they can't make mistakes, or be caught as a direct result. Then there's also their own psychopathology. I.E. a lot of times, they simply can't help them selves, even to their own detriment.
And those are just the attorneys....

Old Pete

curmudgeon
I know not every controller agrees with me (they’re wrong), but I want a verbal acknowledgment when I tell you to ident. Doesn’t have to be anything more than your call sign, but something so I know you heard me. This way if I don’t see anyone ident, I know it’s not because you didn’t hear me.

Just like when I issue you a squawk, I want you to read it back because it is not uncommon at all for it to be read back incorrectly. I’d rather take the extra couple seconds to verify you heard me correctly than have to repeat myself and start the process all over.
Agree, the only time I don’t respond is when the controller says “standby” or “break”

flybywp

Murder is incredible. Airline pilots are no different than any other person to me, at least that's my perspective. If you feel that an airline pilot is held in some higher regard than many other professions I'd have to say that ship sailed a long time ago. I respect people that choose to fly for a living, people that think they are somehow above (pun intended) other people because of their profession annoy me. You're a pilot, do what the company tells you to do.
As a kid growing up, and even into my teens, I thought of every single airline pilot as a highly professional, well-respected, almost superhuman individual. Sounds crazy, but that is how the general public views us, just as they do doctors, lawyers, cops, etc. Their views are shaped by Hollywood actors, the media, and the reputation of the profession. Our opinions are biased because we work in the industry. I saw medical personnel and law enforcement the same way I did pilots, but after working in the medical field for a number of years my opinion changed a bit. There are still plenty of doctors, cops, and pilots who fit that image, but with so many of us out there, we're still human and there is bound to be a few bad apples.

FlyingAccountant

As a kid growing up, and even into my teens, I thought of every single airline pilot as a highly professional, well-respected, almost superhuman individual. Sounds crazy, but that is how the general public views us, just as they do doctors, lawyers, cops, etc. Their views are shaped by Hollywood actors, the media, and the reputation of the profession. Our opinions are biased because we work in the industry. I saw medical personnel and law enforcement the same way I did pilots, but after working in the medical field for a number of years my opinion changed a bit. There are still plenty of doctors, cops, and pilots who fit that image, but with so many of us out there, we're still human and there is bound to be a few bad apples.
That and anything aviation related is usually front page news - drunk pilots, crashed airplanes, unruly flight attendants, people getting beaten and drug off an airplane, rampaging gate agents, etc.