PSA announces PHL and ORF crew domiciles

TallFlyer

I will never understand their obsession with outstation bases. Garaunteed 2-leg commute for most people. That seriously can't help recruiting.
Great for those who live in base like ORF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This. We have a TON of guys in TYS that are either from there or just moved there and started doing life when they got hired. Now we’ll flow about half of our lineholders from there in the next year.

In the case of ORF (and CVG) both airports have decent amounts of service to/from decent places to make it workable for a lot of people.

DAY and TYS? Not so much.

And in case anyone on Terminal Dr is reading this, if you’re so enamored with outstations bring back CAK! All your old school PIT crew will love you.

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
This. We have a TON of guys in TYS that are either from there or just moved there and started doing life when they got hired. Now we’ll flow about half of our lineholders from there in the next year.

In the case of ORF (and CVG) both airports have decent amounts of service to/from decent places to make it workable for a lot of people.

And in case anyone on Terminal Dr is reading this, if you’re so enamored with outstations bring back CAK! All your old school PIT crew will love you.

Its great until it closes. Ok if your single and easy to move. Bad idea if you throw down some anchors. Suddenly the base closes (because honestly it can) and then you are forced to commute along with many others who are in the same boat.

TallFlyer

Its great until it closes. Ok if your single and easy to move. Bad idea if you throw down some anchors. Suddenly the base closes (because honestly it can) and then you are forced to commute along with many others who are in the same boat.
True enough, but you have to make decisions with concrete information, not what ifs.

I’m hopeful that I can live in CLT and not commute for the majority of my next 25 years. That could change, but all the data I have now suggests that’s a real possibility. Not making that decision because I was scared, well, there’s downsides to that too.

Obviously outstation bases at a regional have very different certainties attached to them, but the general premise is still valid.

ComplexHiAv8r

I will never understand their obsession with outstation bases. Garaunteed 2-leg commute for most people. That seriously can't help recruiting.

#LUVCAK

Maurus

The Great Gazoo

I understand but over the long term it doesn't make much sense. Not to mention reserve utilization in outstations 99% of the time starts with a DH to CLT. Complete waste of resources and time.

ORF makes more sense than what we have but really they just need to shift away from the outstation structure. Just look at the senior-mans. These outstations are destroying their QOL. Many people went from living in base to a 2-leg commute overnight.

swakid8

I understand but over the long term it doesn't make much sense. Not to mention reserve utilization in outstations 99% of the time starts with a DH to CLT. Complete waste of resources and time.

ORF makes more sense than what we have but really they just need to shift away from the outstation structure. Just look at the senior-mans. These outstations are destroying their QOL. Many people went from living in base to a 2-leg commute overnight.
ORF makes perfect sense for a crew base operationally speaking sitting in the middle of all of AA hubs. Yeah, it sucks for commuters. But it makes the most sense for an out station base though. Would be nice if an ORD crew base opened too

Ajax

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I know the used to not be able to, pretty much none of the E145 family could take 50 and a jump whenever there was an alternate. However, I know about 10 years ago most of the E145s got a weight mod that alleviated most of that problem, not sure if the desert rat 140s got it though.
The XRs could take 50 and two jumps.

All indications are that PSA is doubling down on the outstation basing model. SAV and CAK possible new crew bases. There are some efficiencies to be gained with outstation basing so management must see some benefit to them that outweighs the obvious negatives.

CUTigerPilot

Canadian Reset Jet Operator

TYS has service to ATL, CLT, PHL, DFW, ORD, DTW, DEN, DCA, IAD and MSP. It's not too terrible. ORF definitely has a few too.

Maurus

The Great Gazoo
All indications are that PSA is doubling down on the outstation basing model. SAV and CAK possible new crew bases. There are some efficiencies to be gained with outstation basing so management must see some benefit to them that outweighs the obvious negatives.
Outstations can work but PSA is currently incapable of making that happen. Their staff utilization is terrible in the outstations. Since working in the airlines I have never sat in the back of a plane as much as I do at PSA. 99% of trips when on reserve start with 1 or more DHs out of base. I have had months where I blocked 20+ hours on deadheads alone.

TYS has service to ATL, CLT, PHL, DFW, ORD, DTW, DEN, DCA, IAD and MSP. It's not too terrible. ORF definitely has a few too.
Yes there are options but most people tend not to live in a major airline hub. 2-leg commuting is hell. Considering a majority of people commute I am willing to bet they don't live in the above airline hubs.

Let us not forget outstations tend to not have proper public transportation or even crashpad availability. I talk to people that pay $10+ each way for an Uber because there is no public service to their airport. If you are a reserve that could be several trips a week between the crashpad and airport. From a QOL perspective outstations are pure ass for everyone other than line holders that live in base.