Problems at Emirates

T/O w/FSII

The Big Lebowski is movie perfection. I can literally watch it any time during the day, for the 5000th time, and be ok. That, “Smokey and the Bandit” and “2001: A Space Odyssey”.
After this and our hatred for Irish bars on overnights I’m convinced you’re my older brother from another mother.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
I laugh a bit when I get on the old interior Airbus and see the “our new crappy cabin coming soon” sticker.
If you’re making fun of Alaska you must not ride on ‘Merican much. One leg had no charging ports like we were still in the Stone Age or something, and the one leg that actually had a decent cabin had a seatback entertainment system like Steve Jobs never invented the iPad and no legroom.

nibake

Powder hound
Now your stuff is going to be even later.
It has really become a joke. Guaranteed two-day has been 8-10 days for me more often than not. I honestly can't remember the last time it was even close. I griped about it and they promised me a credit, then proceed to not give me the credit. I wonder if they are going to merge with Spirit. One of the recent excuses was this: After the package had arrived in my city, they claimed further delays were caused by an emergency runway closure in Louisville. How that affects the delivery truck in ND is a real head-scratcher. They don't care anymore. Too big to fail!

n156499000

Titanius Anglesmith
If you’re making fun of Alaska you must not ride on ‘Merican much. One leg had no charging ports like we were still in the Stone Age or something, and the one leg that actually had a decent cabin had a seatback entertainment system like Steve Jobs never invented the iPad and no legroom.
Last deadhead I had on AA was one of their “Project Oasis” 737s with the extra two rows of seats. The FA kept griping that I was sitting half into the aisle. It wasn’t until I showed her that I literally could not sit in the seat because the distance from my ass to my knee while sitting is longer than the distance from my seat back to the hard plastic of then one in front.

Sadly this experience is not limited to AA and if I can’t snag an exit row or premium economy seat on pretty much any domestic mainline carrier save WN, although they aren’t exactly roomy anymore. I find myself rather wishing to take deadheads on CRJ-200s which are lately becoming my last bastion of a coach seat who’s legroom is barely adequate.

When people ask me what it’s like being 6’6” they respond with quite puzzled faces when I tell them I’d much rather be shorter.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
Oh, I do; one of the American 321 configurations was my go-to ride when commuting. I'd almost rather ride in a non-exit seat on our 321SF.

The irony is that Alaska is really, in my view, a good product; Virgin was simply that amazing and I still like their "old" interiors compared to ALK.

mrivc211

Clearly I'm old af. I remember in 1991, riding American DC-10 service DFW-LHR with only ONE tv hanging on the ceiling for about 10 rows. Anxiety in my life leading up to my trips those days consisted of whether I was gonna be the poor shmuck getting the seat that was directly under that TV and about 10 rows BEHIND the next one in front of me. By the way, those TVs were not 75" flat screens. We're talkin 15" tubes, the kind my grandma had in her room back in the day.

Aviation Photo #0014494: McDonnell Douglas DC-10-10 - American Airlines

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Clearly I'm old af. I remember in 1991, riding American DC-10 service DFW-LHR with only ONE tv hanging on the ceiling for about 10 rows. Anxiety in my life leading up to my trips those days consisted of whether I was gonna be the poor shmuck getting the seat that was directly under that TV and about 10 rows BEHIND the next one in front of me. By the way, those TVs were not 75" flat screens. We're talkin 15" tubes, the kind my grandma had in her room back in the day.

Aviation Photo #0014494: McDonnell Douglas DC-10-10 - American Airlines
I remember those on an NWA 757 maybe mid-90s?

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Can you imagine a time when there was nothing but the airline provided magazine and the window? I can, and that seemed reasonable (I'd normally buy a book before I got on the airplane). Wifi, tablets and cellphones hadn't been invented yet. I think the use of the lav by passengers is the only metric that probably hasn't changed.

nibake

Powder hound
It's a great time to read or write. I can really enjoy both of those things when I'm somewhere and time is standing still. The problem comes when you are commuting to or from work so dog-tired that all the brain wants to do is shut down and everything around just seems to invoke misery. I don't do well with sleep deprivation.

Nark

Sheepdog
@mrivc211 I thinks Omni or whatever ACMI carrier we were on coming back from Kuwait last year still had those.

Didn’t matter, I was trying to take a nap, after playing the “planes here let’s get ready to board!” For the 3rd time.
(Funny story: fog in Shannon delayed our departure in Kuwait until Jan 1st, which meant another month of tax free income).

Beefy McGee

I toss “The Princess Bride” into that category as well.

Cary Elwes can play suave & sarcastic simultaneously so well...I will aspire to that for the rest of my days.
Others: Ghostbusters, Trading Places, Spies Like Us, Three Amigos, Young Frankenstein, Airplane!, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Twister, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, Star Trek 2/3/4/6, Red Dawn (Swayze and Sheen et al) for me.

Remote control stoppers.