Private Pilot Kit

Hello,

I am 15 years old. I solo in March of 2019 and I am going to take my private pilot written this coming summer. When I turn 17, I will take my check ride and oral exam to obtain my private pilot's license. I am in need of purchasing a private pilot kit from a certain company (Gleim, King, Sporty's, ect..) to make sure I am prepared to pass the written, oral, and flight examinations to obtain my Private Pilot's License. I am more of a visual learner and I would like a highly structured course. Which one is the best? Do you have any advice?

It sounds like you're spreading this over a fairly large swath of time. Personally I'd concentrate on one thing at a time and buy only one product at a time to reflect the most-up-to-date when you take the written, oral, and flight exam. Maybe buy the written private pilot kit before you take the written exam this year. Then when you turn 17 approaching your checkride, buy the oral/checkride prep.

When I was in your shoes I used King Schools and Cessna Integrated Training. I liked Kings but they are expensive.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
I like the advice that @BigZ just posted, but some people do want the structure of formalized courses. Just realize that any course package you buy is going to be built upon those same documents from the FAA.

Rod Machado's Private Pilot materials are also excellent, in my opinion.

The flight school I teach at has standardized on the King courses. They're effective, even if you find some of the jokes pretty corny.

dustoff17

Listen to the advice above from @BigZ. The important "take away" is to only purchase the study materials needed for the phase of training for which you are currently engaged. Requirements may change in the many years that are ahead for you to buy an entire course right now.

P.S. unless your funds restricted, you can take you PPL ride on your 16th birthday; don't need to wait for 17

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Listen to the advice above from @BigZ. The important "take away" is to only purchase the study materials needed for the phase of training for which you are currently engaged. Requirements may change in the many years that are ahead for you to buy an entire course right now.

P.S. unless your funds restricted, you can take you PPL ride on your 16th birthday; don't need to wait for 17
I'm a newbie CFI, so this might be a dumb question, but how could he take the PPL ride on his 16th birthday when 61.103 states at least 17 years old for a rating other than glider or balloon. What am I missing?

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member

Markf64

Hello,

I am 15 years old. I solo in March of 2019 and I am going to take my private pilot written this coming summer. When I turn 17, I will take my check ride and oral exam to obtain my private pilot's license. I am in need of purchasing a private pilot kit from a certain company (Gleim, King, Sporty's, ect..) to make sure I am prepared to pass the written, oral, and flight examinations to obtain my Private Pilot's License. I am more of a visual learner and I would like a highly structured course. Which one is the best? Do you have any advice?
Welcome to JC Colin...and the world of aviation. This is a great place to get input, answers, and support as you learn to become a pilot.

My suggestion is to get the references that @BigZ mentioned first. Since you're 15 I am gonna guess you are in your fist/second year of high school. If you are taking physics, read the aerodynamics sections at the same time.. its just physics for planes, and you get to see a real world application of physics.

Gget with a CFI that can help you set up a good approach to helping you attain your goals

Oh...keep asking questions...again welcome to JetCareers.

MidlifeFlyer

You've already seen the references to the primary FAA material (freely downloadable in PDF). In terms of knowledge test prep structured video programs, (Gleim, King, Sporty's, ect..), it really doesn't matter from a substantive standpoint. The material they cover is the same; they all do the job; they are all good; and they all have people who love them and people who hate them.

What differs is the presentation. The "best" one is the one you like best. Between sample lessons, previews, and YouTube excepts from most of them, you should be able to see fairly quickly, for example, if you fall in love with Martha King or can't stand the sound of her voice.

Markf64

You've already seen the references to the primary FAA material (freely downloadable in PDF). In terms of knowledge test prep structured video programs, (Gleim, King, Sporty's, ect..), it really doesn't matter from a substantive standpoint. The material they cover is the same; they all do the job; they are all good; and they all have people who love them and people who hate them.

What differs is the presentation. The "best" one is the one you like best. Between sample lessons, previews, and YouTube excepts from most of them, you should be able to see fairly quickly, for example, if you fall in love with Martha King or can't stand the sound of her voice.
THIS!
Plus, as I mentioned above, a good CFI that you 'click' with and keep dropping by here.