Portuguese E190 emergency yesterday

USMCmech

Sounds like some kind of multiple instrument failure in IMC and heavy rain. The crew had a serious problem keeping the aircraft under control until reaching VMC on top.

A couple of F-16s intercepted them and led them to a VFR airport.

mrivc211

I'm very confused but until you're in the cockpit at the time its hard to comprehend the situation. His voice sounds like the problem may justify a ditching. It sounds terrible. But how could they keep flying and flying and flying and "not be controllable". Im curious what the problem was. If they can fly for that period of time, how come they can't attempt to land on a runway? Were they on stby instruments? if so, stbys have ILS's on them.

averettpilot

Is there a radio tuning ability for ILS on the standby? Only reason I ask is on the Phenom (Embraer) you have to have the desired freq tuned in Nav 1 before any pfd/mfd failure.

mrivc211

Is there a radio tuning ability for ILS on the standby? Only reason I ask is on the Phenom (Embraer) you have to have the desired freq tuned in Nav 1 before any pfd/mfd failure.
I was just about to say the same thing about the Phenom. I never flew the E series and I can’t recall what the crj series did.

BlueMoon

The ailerons aren’t fly by wire on the 170/190, they are conventional. I wonder if it was some kind of PCU runway that was the culprit.