Plane runs over and kills man at Moscow airport

tomokc

Has happened before unfortunately. I remember in 1990 at KPHX, when the Phoenix city drunk tank used to be located just outside the fence on the southwest side of the airfield.....where Swift Air is now......an Alaska Airlines 727 was taking off at night on 26L. A guy from the drunk tank had wandered off and onto the airport and the runway and was stumbling down the runway. 727 crew sees him in their landing lights at around 100 knots and tries to steer right to avoid him, but smacks him with the left main landing gear. Takeoff aborted, and the jet taxied back in with what was left of the drunk guy.
The Federal Prisoner Transfer Center (a/k/a “Con Air”) is based on the airport at KOKC. Just thinking that an unlocked side door might decrease the flight manifest, but increase FOD. Take your choice.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
The Federal Prisoner Transfer Center (a/k/a “Con Air”) is based on the airport at KOKC. Just thinking that an unlocked side door might decrease the flight manifest, but increase FOD. Take your choice.
Yes! Theyve got their own terminal there on the west side of the field. :)

JordanD

Honorary Member
I wonder how you'd write this up

"We hit a dude. Maintenance inspection performed in accordance with human strike checklist. Ops check good."

texas_pilot

They don't even have to be drunk. And you don't even have to be in motion. I may have told this one before, hard to remember with the Halfheimer's and all, but I had a dude get within a genital-hair's width of walking in to the prop of a Mitsi, once upon a time. I'm looking at him, he's looking at me. He's walking back to chalk the mains and I'm rapidly going from "ah, upon which couch shall I pick my nose today?" to "Hey, dude, wtf, stop walking, NO SERIOUSLY". It turns out that there's no obvious and universally recognized hand-signal for "STOP MOVING YOU MUPPET". Some presumably more experienced ramp rat buttonholed him at the last second but I swear it was inches. I'd already killed the fuel, but he would have been deader than disco if he'd gone a step or two further. I actually had nightmares featuring various scenarios of what person-bits would be flung where.
Ramper at Hobby did walk into a Mitzi prop and still has the enormous scar .
He worked the desk and not allowed near the planes,...

texas_pilot

At least he didn't end up like the Mx guy at ELP who was sucked into a CAL 737-300 engine at high power while troubleshooting....
I don’t think the ramper would make the same mistake twice, but never saw tarmac again. Glad not to see Fargo wood chipper on steroids, Ugh!