Person decapitated by helicopter at airport in Brooksville

Old Boeing Driver

Latest info, not verified, is that the pilot got out to disconnect the power cart and the collective bumped up/down. Lots of damage on the blade tips, and speculation is that they actually hit the power cart where the man was standing.

Last edited:

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
For us non-helo types....How does the collective bump up/down on it's own?
Just as the collective moves the pitch of the rotor blades, an unsecured collective can be moved by the blades as they vary in pitch on their own while turning. This is more common in lighter helos. All helos have friction settings for both the collective and the cyclic, and AStar helos additionally have a lock tab that snaps over the front of collective for when the helo is on the ground. Just recently, a safety bulletin was released from Airbus warning of collective bump and advising that even witht the collective lock engaged, the pilot had to remain in positive control of the collective at all times.

Im figuring that the engines were at ground-idle. Because a Bell 222/230 helo has a pretty high rotor system when the engines are at flight-idle. At ground idle, the blades droop more when spinning (like most bigger helos) due to there being far less aerodynamic lift on them at the slower ground-idle. Also, if the pilot did in fact exit the cockpit while the blades were turning at power, thats generally a no-no.

mrivc211

Your neck is a remarkably fragile mounting bracket for a heavy armored shell. Once the vertebrae break, there's not much to stop the tissues from tearing free.

Execution by hanging was an actually very delicate balance between strangulation and decapitation. It was very easy to screw up and either have the criminal suffer for minutes or create a giant mess.
aaaaaaand you know this how? hahahaha

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Your neck is a remarkably fragile mounting bracket for a heavy armored shell. Once the vertebrae break, there's not much to stop the tissues from tearing free.

Execution by hanging was an actually very delicate balance between strangulation and decapitation. It was very easy to screw up and either have the criminal suffer for minutes or create a giant mess.
So it's like golf? Your head is the ball and your neck is the tee? Wonder how far it went.

dustoff17

At one point in my life I had to learn the actual mathematical formula they came up with for the practice.

Edit, found what I was looking for. These were the more “modernized” tables in use by countries for hanging.

The Not-So-Fine Art of Hanging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THIS is why I love JetCareers! Where else can a person talk "shop" AND learn this stuff?

Thanks @Derg!

P.S. I saw the "weak neck, strong skull" theory in play working a two-car, T-Bone crash once. Not very pretty but darn intriguing.

Yetti

in a good hanging the neck spine is snapped and the head is not popped off. that's why the noose has 13 wraps and was placed on the side of the head. strangulation was not the goal.

One of my fireman friends says that finding the head after a motorcycle crash is a pretty common occurance.

Lawman

in a good hanging the neck spine is snapped and the head is not popped off. that's why the noose has 13 wraps and was placed on the side of the head. strangulation was not the goal.

One of my fireman friends says that finding the head after a motorcycle crash is a pretty common occurance.
Correction, strangulation was not always the goal.

Specific statements are often dismissed as part of the parlance of the language at the time, however there were multiple sentences of hanging.

The phrase “Hung by the neck until dead” was actually a specific method of hanging that we commonly associate as the default in our minds. Other degrees of hanging did exist such as suspension by rope for the specific purpose of strangulation and prolonged pain/torture. This was famously demonstrated at the end of Braveheart where he is hung, but cut down before death to experience more torture for his crime of capital treason.

bucksmith

Did you lock the doors?
Correction, strangulation was not always the goal.

Specific statements are often dismissed as part of the parlance of the language at the time, however there were multiple sentences of hanging.

The phrase “Hung by the neck until dead” was actually a specific method of hanging that we commonly associate as the default in our minds. Other degrees of hanging did exist such as suspension by rope for the specific purpose of strangulation and prolonged pain/torture. This was famously demonstrated at the end of Braveheart where he is hung, but cut down before death to experience more torture for his crime of capital treason.

Have you considered a hobby? ;)

NickH

Dank Meme
Have you considered a hobby? ;)
There was a British executioner who developed those tables, as I recall, advancing the idea that the convicted deserved a respectful death. He hung a bunch of Nazis and trained a US executioner for the rest of them. The US executioner used a shorter rope and a small trapdoor that caused a lot of injuries on the way down. Not to suggest it was intentional...

drunkenbeagle

Gang Member
Had the unfortunate experience of seeing a motorcycle crash. The helmet (and head) bounced about 50 yards from the bike. Enough for me to never consider owning a motorcycle.

Lawman

There was a British executioner who developed those tables, as I recall, advancing the idea that the convicted deserved a respectful death. He hung a bunch of Nazis and trained a US executioner for the rest of them. The US executioner used a shorter rope and a small trapdoor that caused a lot of injuries on the way down. Not to suggest it was intentional...
When you think of the process it’s one of the reasons public execution was indeed so public.

It’s far easier to erect a tall wooden structure than to dig a 20 foot hole.

Lawman

Had the unfortunate experience of seeing a motorcycle crash. The helmet (and head) bounced about 50 yards from the bike. Enough for me to never consider owning a motorcycle.
Similar experience, but with road rash.

Watching the ER guys pick gravel out of a dude for a couple hours was enough to go yeah maybe No to the idea of a sport bike.