People who occupy a window seat

nibake

Powder hound
I'm surprised about the comments regarding being too hot. Not super surprising because I guess I'm not a normal personal, but I can't recall being too hot on a flight. Too cold, almost always.

Bob Ridpath

Pit Bull love
Same fight about lights on-off in dispatch.

You work my shift on OT or Swap, you get lights ON, in all their blazing glory. Senior guy, old eyes that see better when lights are on, bosses expect it. I work a rare forced OT on your shift and I’ll stumble around in the dark like a blind guy in the woods. I’m YOUR “visitor” in that case, and respect how the shift you work normally runs.

Can’t imagine the need to fly again, but I’d probably be the guy dragged off a United flight. “Touch that damned window shade again and we’re gonna’ fight. I’m looking out the window at awesome things your dead soul apparently can’t appreciate.” Want dark? Buy eye shades and wear ‘em.

Nothing like you guys and gals who commute over hundreds of flight, just sixty or seventy flights over my lifetime (including six trans-oceanic). Never once had the need to read a book or watch some kind of inflight entertainment. There are people with whom to chat, fine beverages to enjoy, and some amazing things to see when I look out the window. I always found wonder in the air when looking far below. Clearly, YMMV.

Sole disclaimer: if aisle mates are snoozing and don’t care about the stunning sunrise, I rig a private darkroom with the sports jacket I wear when traveling (sometimes even wear a tie, by the way) and carry-on duct tape.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Same fight about lights on-off in dispatch.

You work my shift on OT or Swap, you get lights ON, in all their blazing glory. Senior guy, old eyes that see better when lights are on, bosses expect it. I work a rare forced OT on your shift and I’ll stumble around in the dark like a blind guy in the woods. I’m YOUR “visitor” in that case, and respect how the shift you work normally runs.

Can’t imagine the need to fly again, but I’d probably be the guy dragged off a United flight. “Touch that damned window shade again and we’re gonna’ fight. I’m looking out the window at awesome things your dead soul apparently can’t appreciate.” Want dark? Buy eye shades and wear ‘em.

Nothing like you guys and gals who commute over hundreds of flight, just sixty or seventy flights over my lifetime (including six trans-oceanic). Never once had the need to read a book or watch some kind of inflight entertainment. There are people with whom to chat, fine beverages to enjoy, and some amazing things to see when I look out the window. I always found wonder in the air when looking far below. Clearly, YMMV.

Sole disclaimer: if aisle mates are snoozing and don’t care about the stunning sunrise, I rig a private darkroom with the sports jacket I wear when traveling (sometimes even wear a tie, by the way) and carry-on duct tape.
If I saw someone doing what you describe with duct tape and your sport coat around a window you and I are going to have a conversation regarding your intentions long before you finish your project.

Bob Ridpath

Pit Bull love
If I saw someone doing what you describe with duct tape and your sport coat around a window you and I are going to have a conversation regarding your intentions long before you finish your project.
And I’ll happily explain it. Never, once, had an issue with it.

I’m no longer the demographic about which you need to concern yourself. Can’t imagine the need ever to get on an airplane again within my lifetime.

VERY happy that I got to know the joy of flying, for the most part, in a different world - when you could look out the window, provided for that very reason. That time, in which I grew and flourished is gone. My children can’t raise their own as I did. That time is gone, too.

Everyone should be who they are, of course, and focus on the things which are important to them.

I’ll always choose to look out the window.

Hey, if we’re all giving opinions on windows, the manufacturers need to figure out a way to raise them about a foot so you don’t have to crane your neck to see out of it. My eyes are not on my man boobs. Just sayin.
Leave the windows where they are. Lower the seats. ;)

DPApilot

GUYSH! GUYSH! GUYSH!
I can’t stand being on a trans Atlantic flight during the day when people keep the window open. Cool, clouds and Greenland. Even worse is when there’s only one person doing it and they are across from you.

Pilot Fighter

I can’t stand being on a trans Atlantic flight during the day when people keep the window open. Cool, clouds and Greenland. Even worse is when there’s only one person doing it and they are across from you.
Get a pair of glacier glasses. They are designed for the brightest sunlight and glare. They help me cope.

Last edited:

Beefy McGee

heck no, if you open the window shade on an early departure while everyone is trying to sleep you should be beat. Seen this a few times late. Plane is all dark, everyone is asleep and sure enough one guy in first just has to do. He's up, so everyone else should be up. Opens the shade all the with the sun pouring in. Everyone is like WTF dude....
That’s like being in one of those big open bay military barracks with like 40 beds per floor. Wakeup is 0500, formation at 0700 after chow, but some douchebag sets his alarm for 0330 and snoozes it a couple times. Then turns on his Bose portable speaker module and opens the window shade at 0400, noisily goes to the showers, and leaves some kind of noisy obnoxious music on while everyone else tries to sleep. Gotta beat the rush to the showers!

Beefy McGee

I'm surprised about the comments regarding being too hot. Not super surprising because I guess I'm not a normal personal, but I can't recall being too hot on a flight. Too cold, almost always.
Guess you don’t ride older 737s or CRJ200s in the summer months (really March through November) when it becomes swampy hot inside. Closing the windows helps a lot with minimizing the heat.