People who occupy a window seat

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
How about when the middle seat person or aisle seat person reaches across the window seat occupant and opens/closes the window shade?

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
I get at least one really cool picture almost everytime I occupy a window seat. To each their own. That said, on long over-water flights, or when in cruise the sun is blinding me thru the window, I will of course close it. But I do always open it during the approach/climb out and watch.

How about when the middle seat person or aisle seat person reaches across the window seat occupant and opens/closes the window shade?
That happened to me exactly once, during the takeoff roll, and the woman looked terrified and I think she did it out of anxiety. I chuckled and said "Don't worry it's fine" and re-opened it, she didn't try again nor complain about me re-opening the shade.

milleR

Close it- we’re good, my bad for not doing it earlier
Open it- if you want to keep that arm don’t try it again

Exceptions to the latter will be made if we’re over something interesting and/or said person asks first

milleR

"We are a community in this row. Its all of our window, since we are all sharing this row."

Actually overheard.
Oh I can imagine lol. “Sorry, but no.” would probably be my polite reaction. Though I’d probably conscientiously be forced to ask if there was anything specific they were hoping to see haha

jmc4

Now I’m confused. I’ve sat in window seats for a majority of my flights. Most of the time I have kept it open and had a kink in my neck the next day because all I did was look outside the entire time.

Two flights ago I had it open and the guy in the middle seat was huffing and puffing during taxi. Sure enough on climbout he had enough and said “for the love of god can you close your window? It’s about 100 degrees.” Confused, I closed the window and apologized.

This past flight I sat next to Boris and kept my window closed from boarding until final approach because curiosity was killing me but I was trying to be polite.

So what is proper window seat etiquette?

Apophis

Resident Iconoclast
For me it's not so much the windowshade as it is that person who invariably needs to smack gum in some sort of desperate attempt to pulverize it.
Or when somebody next to me is eating in general. I hate that sound, it’s like nails on a chalkboard. Bonus points if the food said person is eating smells like death.

Screaming_Emu

Great and Unmatched Wisdom
We just know how to airline lounge. Drunk enough to fly, sober enough not to be denied boarding...
Between this comment and a recent picture from a certain hotel in HKG that you posted it starting to think we might work at the same place.

Bandit_Driver

Gold Member
...and leave the window closed should be killed. Discuss.
heck no, if you open the window shade on an early departure while everyone is trying to sleep you should be beat. Seen this a few times late. Plane is all dark, everyone is asleep and sure enough one guy in first just has to do. He's up, so everyone else should be up. Opens the shade all the with the sun pouring in. Everyone is like WTF dude....

Pilot Fighter

heck no, if you open the window shade on an early departure while everyone is trying to sleep you should be beat. Seen this a few times late. Plane is all dark, everyone is asleep and sure enough one guy in first just has to do. He's up, so everyone else should be up. Opens the shade all the with the sun pouring in. Everyone is like WTF dude....
Let me down a couple of preflight Bloody Mary's and don my glacier glasses and I don't care if we fly into the sun.

Attachments