People who chose to live next to an airport complain A320s are loud

pianokeys

MEL NO MUFFS
JetBlue is parking the A320 fleet? News to me.

Guess I should go update my resume.
Im taking about ACs 320 fleet. The early aircraft are high time and slated for retirement in the next two to three years which is why I think it’s dumb to retrofit them. The newer ones are supposed to stick around for a few more years to meet projected growth.

Last edited:

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
Im taking about ACs 320 fleet. The early aircraft are high time and slated for retirement in the next two to three years which is why I think it’s dumb to retrofit them. The newer ones are supposed to stick around for a few more years to meet projected growth.
I thought AC was just using the deer whistles for collision avoidance on the taxiways

Beefy McGee

I'd be doing my students logbooks at Reid-Hillview after some night patterns and the building would rumble when DHL's low bypass turbjojetted DC-8's would throttle up over at San Jose International.
I think I just saw a petition to save that airport from neighbors who moved in, complained about noise, and are trying to close it. Does San Jose State have an aviation department there? Think that is what was on the hangar in the pic.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
I don't know, the last time I was there was in early 1996. But the city did a study back in the 90's where the consultant determined that crime would skyrocket because of the increased population so people backed off. The area was kind of "sketch" in the 90's, not sure how it is now.

I don't know, the last time I was there was in early 1996. But the city did a study back in the 90's where the consultant determined that crime would skyrocket because of the increased population so people backed off. The area was kind of "sketch" in the 90's, not sure how it is now.
I instruct out of there. I probably was flying there at Tradewinds or Squadron 2 when you were there/just after you left.

It’s still sketch. The airport is pretty healthy, though.

I miss Amelia Reid and her bicycle though. Talk about someone who touched many lives...

-Fox

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
I instruct out of there. I probably was flying there at Tradewinds or Squadron 2 when you were there/just after you left.

It’s still sketch. The airport is pretty healthy, though.

I miss Amelia Reid and her bicycle though. Talk about someone who touched many lives...

-Fox
She would walk in to Wings Of California, she screaming at the top of her lungs about one of our students powering out of the tie downs and spraying gravel onto her ramp, scream something about sending us a bill for whatever, then leave. Every time I determined it was one of my students, the Indian guys owed me an Indian lunch buffet, my Korean students owed me a bibimbap lunch and my off-the-street locals would have to take me to Zunigas in Watsonville.

QXDX

How far away must one live from an airport before they have the right to complain about the noise? Draw a 5 mile circle around any airport that hosts Airbus 320's (or larger) and that's an awful lot of unusable real estate (78+ square miles).

Last edited:

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
How far away must one live from an airport before they have the right to complain about the noise? 1 mile? 5 miles? Draw a 5 mile circle around any airport that hosts Airbus 320's (or larger) and that's 78+ square miles of unusable real estate.
It's not unusable. It's about managed expectations. Millions of people leave within 5 miles of an international airport and somehow they carry on with their daily lives.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
How far away must one live from an airport before they have the right to complain about the noise? Draw a 5 mile circle around any airport that hosts Airbus 320's (or larger) and that's an awful lot of unusable real estate (78+ square miles).
The problem is people moving next to an existing airport and then complaining. Different story if the airport is built after they already lived there.