PDA's for situational awareness

bluelake

PDA\'s for situational awareness

I am going to be purchasing an HP iPaq for non-aviation purposes. And its got me wondering, just how much effort would it take to use this in an airplane. Has anyone had any experience with this? I have seen on Avshop.com the GPS attachments and software for sale....

EatSleepFly

Re: PDA\'s for situational awareness

And another question...

Anyone have that weather service for PDA's that I always see in the magazines? I don't even have one, but it would be cool to be able get weather radar, etc. anywhere. Especially useful for out-of-the-way airports with no WSI or anything fancy like that.

Ophir

You know, I keep wondering how that data is transmitted. It is is cellular then is going to butt slow and I have found that cel service in the air is generally weak. Anyone how it is transmitted, to the PDA's that is?

pilot602

If specified, this will replace the title that

There are two general ways of transmitting info to cockpit weather displays. Satallite or radio. Satelite coverage is, well, almost world-wide but them ore expensive of the two srevices. The radio option is a little cheaper but not all areas have coverage yet (think of a cell-system for airplanes). I htikn most of the PDA stuff works with the radio style and all of 'em require (PDA that is) the purchase of a "modem" to attach to the PDA that is capable of receivingthe WX info.

That's a rough estimation, anyway.

Looking4Lower

[ QUOTE ]
Especially useful for out-of-the-way airports with no WSI or anything fancy like that

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a program in my Palm that allows me to dial up DUATS and get text weather with the free 1-800 number using the little palm modem. It's great for smaller airports cuz I can plug into any phone line and download whatever "Official" text briefing I need; since it's all stored in the Palm's memo files, I can read thru the text for flight planning and also review it later if I need to re-evaluate things during the flight (i.e. winds aloft, notams, etc). The only problem: NO weather graphics.

If you have a dial-up internet access account and a newer Palm, you might be able to browse the 'net with a dial-up connection at Smalltown Municipal FBO and get WX graphics that way.

BTW, I bought my almost-new Palm VIIx on ebay for $28.

pscraig

I can't easily use my palm in the plane, pointing with the required accuracy is difficult in turbulence and requires too much head-down time. I have some planning apps and the AOPA airport directory loaded onto it. I love the idea of dialing up to DUAT, but don't know many phone lines will be easily accessible at airports.

Looking4Lower

[ QUOTE ]
I love the idea of dialing up to DUAT, but don't know many phone lines will be easily accessible at airports

[/ QUOTE ]

90% of the time I can go to an FBO's flight planning area or lounge and there's a phone there. I just unplug the phone line and plug it into the Palm. Sometimes if there's multiple phone lines, that complicates things, but there's usually a way around that (or there's a normal phone nearby...)