Passenger boards Delta flight at ATL with firearm

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Was the gun in his baggage or on his person? Either way it's irresponsible or reckless as a gun owner to not be aware or to be brazen enough to try to carry a gun onto an airplane that's headed for a country that doesn't allow guns. The TSA is a joke, I was on a work trip once trying to get home from Medford and my coworker had hazel eyes. He wasn't required to remove his shoes or empty his backpack, open his laptop, or anything else because someone thought he was handsome. Come to think of it he was a fairly handsome fellow with a charming personality, last I heard he owns some horse ranch in Colorado.

AM011309

Yeah meanwhile I forget a water bottle in my bag that still has 6 oz of water and I get pulled out of line and swabbed down. I know there needs to be some kind of security but I hate the TSA they are absolutely ridiculous

BCTAv8r

Yeah meanwhile I forget a water bottle in my bag that still has 6 oz of water and I get pulled out of line and swabbed down. I know there needs to be some kind of security but I hate the TSA they are absolutely ridiculous
Gotta love their logic. Have a KCM badge but are out of uniform at a regular checkpoint? Liquids get thrown away. Do the same thing in uniform, good to go. It’s as if the uniform matters more than the KCM credentials.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Give TSA all the crap you want, but I see what they find on a day to day basis here - and I'm certainly glad they're here.
This is true.

A few months ago, we had a passenger leave her cellphone at the checkpoint in DC. I had a little time so I offered to run to the checkpoint to see if they had found a cellphone.

They showed me to the office where their "interim" lost and found is. Even thought it was 730am, from that morning, the box was filled with hunting knives, box cutters, (ammo) magazines and other items. I said "Holy cow, you guys have had a busy month!" "Month? That's from today"

And we're in one of the smaller terminals in DCA.

Autothrust Blue

"...I know bait when I see it..."
Since "no guns allowed beyond this point" is plainly something pistol fetishists can't understand, I'm perfectly alright with security searches before locking you and 227 other people into a confined space and blasting through the skies at a high fraction of the speed of sound.

Cazadores

If you think that random lowest bidder security contracted companies around the nations airport would be an improvement, you’d be wrong. I feel confident saying that because we’ve seen it before.
It wouldn't be worse. I think the TSA should be relieved of having the responsibility of managing tens of thousands of low skilled hourly employees and focus on the higher level skillsets they excel at. Screening has been shown repeatedly to not be one of them. You dont need a federal employee to use a wand, guess at the quantity of fluid in a shampoo bottle, or decipher the display on one of Chertoffs fleece the taxpayer nude picture machines.

I have no problem with TSA, and have had no problems and generally find the screeners pleasant and professional. I just think screening is a distraction from what the TSA should be focused on.

Besides, private business is required to pay their employees regardless, so the current nonsense is a non issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Autothrust Blue

Besides, private business is required to pay their employees regardless, so the current nonsense is a non issue.
As I understand it, Federal contractors (except defense because SUPPERT ARE TROOPZ) are not getting paid during this shutdown.

So I would surmise that should TSA have more the ACTSA/CATSA model (whereby the actual frontline screening is contracted out), the contractors wouldn't be paid right now either.

Cazadores

As I understand it, Federal contractors (except defense because SUPPERT ARE TROOPZ) are not getting paid during this shutdown.

So I would surmise that should TSA have more the ACTSA/CATSA model (whereby the actual frontline screening is contracted out), the contractors wouldn't be paid right now either.
I know in my former life working for a federal contractor, regardless of the status of payment we were required to pay our employees. Get a loan, cash out a CD, whatever you had to do to make payroll had to be done or face stiff fines, penalties and contract suspensions.

I'd imagine it would be the same, but that's as much conjecture as this entire privatization idea anyway.

Autothrust Blue

I know in my former life working for a federal contractor, regardless of the status of payment we were required to pay our employees. Get a loan, cash out a CD, whatever you had to do to make payroll had to be done or face stiff fines, penalties and contract suspensions.

I'd imagine it would be the same, but that's as much conjecture as this entire privatization idea anyway.

The more you know. Although I'd imagine you have to pay them because you're a private employer...how much longer this will drag on will have consequences.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
The more you know. Although I'd imagine you have to pay them because you're a private employer...how much longer this will drag on will have consequences.
Federal contractors who are still working are being paid. Federal contractors who are furloughed or whose company received stop work orders are not being paid and usually will not be back paid. Our sim pilots for example aren’t working because no training is happening during the shutdown and their company won’t back pay them when it opens. The sad part is the Fed already paid the company for the contract so it’s just going to line the companies pockets.

Autothrust Blue

Federal contractors who are still working are being paid. Federal contractors who are furloughed or whose company received stop work orders are not being paid and usually will not be back paid. Our sim pilots for example aren’t working because no training is happening during the shutdown and their company won’t back pay them when it opens. The sad part is the Fed already paid the company for the contract so it’s just going to line the companies pockets.
Ugh.