Osprey

TUCKnTRUCK

That guy
Ahh... the V-22. Doesn't count as rotor time, doesn't count at fixed wing time. Whole bunch o worthless time :)

Honestly though, has the FAA figured out what ratings V-22 time is good towards?

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Ahh... the V-22. Doesn't count as rotor time, doesn't count at fixed wing time. Whole bunch o worthless time :)

Honestly though, has the FAA figured out what ratings V-22 time is good towards?
I know that JetBlue looks favorably on RW time. I imagine they'd consider this similarly.

TUCKnTRUCK

That guy
I know that JetBlue looks favorably on RW time. I imagine they'd consider this similarly.
I know for a while the FAA didn't classify the time as there is no such thing as a v1 cut, nor single engine operation. At the same time it doesn't auto-rotate nor have the flight characteristics of a rotor, so you couldn't use the hours towards any rating.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
I know for a while the FAA didn't classify the time as there is no such thing as a v1 cut, nor single engine operation. At the same time it doesn't auto-rotate nor have the flight characteristics of a rotor, so you couldn't use the hours towards any rating.
It doesn't do V1 cuts, but it does have OEI operation - a single engine can drive both proprotors.

The other article I posted talks about autorotation a bit; it can technically be autorotated, but not very successfully. I think the FAA (and civilian employers) will start granting more utility toward Powered Lift hours as those hours increase among the pilot population. Harrier pilots now have a similar problem, by the way.

kaudbron

Someone played lets stump the HR rep at WAI hiring brief for AA with the CV-22 time question. There was no definitive answer given.

Low&Slow

Ancora imparo
We used the MV-22 when I was on DART (Downed Aircraft Recovery Team) missions overseas. Faster than rotary wing, it can land vertically if situation called for it, and it could carry lots of Joes with guns and tools to work.
Time is critical when an aircraft goes down, and the Osprey was the perfect platform for our needs and worked excellent for us.
If I remember right, they used the same engines as the C-130s did. My guys and I would occasionally help out with airframe repairs on it too, as a courtesy, and kind of a "thank you".

Last edited:

deadstick

Total time.

Or log "airplane mode" time in one column and "helicopter mode" in another -- fill 2 columns on one flight!!