Online Bachelors

Can anyone suggest a recognized min work online to get a 4 years bachelors, since some of the big iron fliers need it as a qualifying criteria. I have an AA and a couple of diplomas.

nibake

Powder hound
If you are opposed to a faith based university read no further.

If not, I had a pretty good experience with Liberty U Online. You will get credit for all the FAA certificates you hold no questions asked or fees. If you already have the cores done, and it sounds like you do, you will only need to do the minimum of 30 hours if you play your cards right. I had no prior accredited class and I managed to do the absolute minimum of 30 credit hours with a combination of CLEP/DANTES testing and credit for prior learning. It took me < 1.5 years to complete everything while working full time. YMMV. It was about as painless of an experience as I could have asked for.

JordanD

Honorary Member
Hey, I applied for a school this week, get off my ass!
I know a lot of people that have done/are doing Thomas Edison State University online. You can use your ratings for a ton of credits for the BSAST in aviation flight technology, and I know people that were able to CLEP or use their in house testing to test out of all but a few of their classes.

FloridaLarry

For price alone, check your in-state public universities. They're invariably the least expensive.

But nibake's example of transfer credit and credits from experience is very important. It may even upset the 'cheapest' measure. Make sure your school is accredited by the regional accrediting organization - nearly all are, but not every one (Watch out for the smaller, newer private schools!)

Remember that you'll have a life after the cockpit, and you can't know now exactly when that part will start. Get a good education in something that will serve you for the rest of your life.

Plus, pick some courses that sound like fun!

Can anyone suggest a recognized min work online to get a 4 years bachelors, since some of the big iron fliers need it as a qualifying criteria. I have an AA and a couple of diplomas.

This is what it's boiled down to. Gen Z Millennials?
"Give me the least min work 4 yr bachelor degree online so I can simply check the box. I really have no interest in learning anything interesting, or to get a degree in a field that could make a good backup in case I lose my medical down the road, get furloughed, etc."

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
This is what it's boiled down to. Gen Z Millennials?
"Give me the least min work 4 yr bachelor degree online so I can simply check the box. I really have no interest in learning anything interesting, or to get a degree in a field that could make a good backup in case I lose my medical down the road, get furloughed, etc."
Well why spend all the extra money and time for a degree that won’t matter where it’s from? You make this statement, and probably in another thread talk about how terrible student debt is. Well, this is one way it is avoided.

You don’t know anything about OP. He could be 48 years old working 50 hours a week in a foundry trying to find a way to change careers. Get off your high horse you arrogant ass.

Well why spend all the extra money and time for a degree that won’t matter where it’s from? You make this statement, and probably in another thread talk about how terrible student debt is. Well, this is one way it is avoided.
Is this in jest? Something about seeing a pilot aiming for Delta or Fedex with a potential $10 million dollar career wanting to just barely ooze through the door with a minimum work ethic, just so they can check a box. Pardon me for thinking we should aim for a little bit higher. If I was an airline recrutier, I wouldn't want to hire this type and would definitely grill for further info. "So why did you get this college degree from Degrees R 'Us online, and why this particular field?"

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Is this in jest? Something about seeing a pilot aiming for Delta or Fedex with a potential $10 million dollar career wanting to just barely ooze through the door with a minimum work ethic, just so they can check a box. Pardon me for thinking we should aim for a little bit higher. If I was an airline recrutier, I wouldn't want to hire this type and would definitely grill for further info. "So why did you get this college degree from Degrees R 'Us online, and why this particular field?"
I’m glad you had the time, money, and opportunity to go to a 4 year school when it was most convenient for you. Not everyone does.

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
...aren't you a Jet University alumnus?

I’m glad you had the time, money, and opportunity to go to a 4 year school when it was most convenient for you. Not everyone does.
Ok, I understand the cost. Not everyone can afford it and it can be expensive. So I can understand wanting something lower cost/cheap/financially easier. Of the three things you listed, I'll give you the money part. But what's the excuse then for min work? That is a function of work ethic. Time and opportunity? Degrees are easily obtainable these days esp the online ones as long as you pick a decent one that you are interested in. It's the min work part that just rubs wrong, especially wanting to just check a box for the "big iron."

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
That was a RJ course only, but then again you knew that. My engineering undergrad in my field was one of the top 3 schools in the country for said field (at the time).
Great for you, bud. A lot of us didn't have that kind of opportunity. I would love to go back in time and go to college 4 years straight to study ME, but instead I pumped gas, stacked hangars, deiced and unloaded cargo through the night to pay for flight lessons and college courses while my friends partied and got into debt. Unfortunately we all make compromises in our lives that hopefully get us to where we want to be someday, and we never know if we made the right choices until retirement.

Great for you, bud. A lot of us didn't have that kind of opportunity. I would love to go back in time and go to college 4 years straight to study ME, but instead I pumped gas, stacked hangars, deiced and unloaded cargo through the night to pay for flight lessons and college courses while my friends partied and got into debt. Unfortunately we all make compromises in our lives that hopefully get us to where we want to be someday, and we never know if we made the right choices until retirement.
I doubt many people going to top 3 engineering schools become airline pilots. The rare aero engineer I do come across, they went to Riddle. Look I understand where you're coming from. But even your post doesn't make it sound like you just want to check a box for the big iron with the minimum amount of work. There's a certain work ethic, and that's what the OP tone was lacking.....

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
I doubt many people going to top 3 engineering schools become airline pilots. The rare aero engineer I do come across, they went to Riddle. Look I understand where you're coming from. But even your post doesn't make it sound like you just want to check a box for the big iron with the minimum amount of work. There's a certain work ethic, and that's what the OP tone was lacking.....
OP said they have a couple of diplomas. I'm sure you're capable of giving someone the benefit of the doubt before launching into a tiresome generational tirade

Finny

For price alone, check your in-state public universities. They're invariably the least expensive.

But nibake's example of transfer credit and credits from experience is very important. It may even upset the 'cheapest' measure. Make sure your school is accredited by the regional accrediting organization - nearly all are, but not every one (Watch out for the smaller, newer private schools!)

Remember that you'll have a life after the cockpit, and you can't know now exactly when that part will start. Get a good education in something that will serve you for the rest of your life.

Plus, pick some courses that sound like fun!
This. I’m finishing up my degree at my local state University. They have a great College of Continuing Education that is 100% online and tailored towards older, working students. Take a look into your local schools, I bet there is a similar program local to you.

Richman

I doubt many people going to top 3 engineering schools become airline pilots. The rare aero engineer I do come across, they went to Riddle. ...
You’d be surprised. I’ve got 3 from name schools and my GF has another two with a Dr in front of her name and we’re just lunchbox toting Joes/Janes....albeit with a better than average vocabulary.

You don’t know anything about OP. He could be 48 years old working 50 hours a week in a foundry trying to find a way to change careers. Get off your high horse you arrogant ass.
Yeah. Not everyone has the credentials and connections to go to Jet University

nibake

Powder hound
That is a function of work ethic.
To each his own. I pretty much did it to check a box. I also was working full time plus overtime while running my own legislative campaign while single parenting with being a full time online student and only slightly after the campaign ended did I do all of the above while teaching maintenance courses at a local college. To me just wanting to check the box doesn't necessarily imply a lack of work ethic.

The reason I did it was just in case I ever have a "maybe I should go to law school" moment.

1540431338018.png

Edit: Disclaimer: I do not identify as a millennial