Omni Security Clearance

Hubbs

There is a special program on the 767 that requires a security clearance. It is voluntary and awarded based on seniority. 'GenPop' does not require one.

Richman

Read the thread title as "Omni Consumer Products".

If that's that's the case, be careful what releases you sign, and stay out of South Detroit.

Cherokee_Cruiser

But why does a pilot have to worry about not being able to have a security clearance? It just sounds bad. Much like if a guy goes to a realtor and says, “hey I want a house around this area, but due to a certain state registration status, you must keep me at least 1 mile away from any public school.”

I mean, someone is gonna wonder ?????? about you...

Richman

But why does a pilot have to worry about not being able to have a security clearance? It just sounds bad. Much like if a guy goes to a realtor and says, “hey I want a house around this area, but due to a certain state registration status, you must keep me at least 1 mile away from any public school.”

Back in the dark days, when I was trolling looking at graduate school programs, some schools were very specific, in a nebulous kind of way, that any offer was contingent on me being able to get a security clearance that, practically, "only a natural born, US citizen could get".

In fact, I strongly suspect that's pretty much the only reason why they were so interested in a 40-watt brained schnook like me....I was in a vanishingly small minority of those applying that could do such a thing. It certainly wasn't because I knew which end of the screwdriver was the pointy end.

As an aside....when looking at grad school, you really, really, really have to separate out STEM school from "Interpretive Dance Therapy" or "Early Astruskian Literature" type programs. They're not even remotely related in how they operate.

86BravoPapa

It has nothing to do with concern of getting a clearance. I just have no interest in jumping through those hoops when there's plenty of potential opportunities to fly the same type or similar type of equipment.

Cherokee_Cruiser

I'm thinking you have no clue about some of the things that will prevent you from getting a clearance.

I had a Secret level clearance for my engineering job as a defense contractor in Arlington, VA. I remember that process, having an interview in a nondescript building in Crystal City, buzzed into a waiting room, and then interviewed by 2 agents. And it checked out family, relatives, (grandparents/aunts/uncles), my own roommates, almost anybody I had contact with. They were especially interested in knowing who took special interest in my job. It took I think 2-3 months to grant the clearance. Until then, I was limited in the scope of what I could see/access at my job.

And as a pilot I have the normal security/background check that’s expected to work for a 121 air carrier (this check is a joke, btw).

Last edited:

Cherokee_Cruiser

Back in the dark days, when I was trolling looking at graduate school programs, some schools were very specific, in a nebulous kind of way, that any offer was contingent on me being able to get a security clearance that, practically, "only a natural born, US citizen could get".

In fact, I strongly suspect that's pretty much the only reason why they were so interested in a 40-watt brained schnook like me....I was in a vanishingly small minority of those applying that could do such a thing. It certainly wasn't because I knew which end of the screwdriver was the pointy end.

As an aside....when looking at grad school, you really, really, really have to separate out STEM school from "Interpretive Dance Therapy" or "Early Astruskian Literature" type programs. They're not even remotely related in how they operate.

I think that was kinda why I got my engineering job over others who were smarter and better than I was. Almost all my friends in the aerospace engineering program were foreign students. Not having US citizenship hurt them a lot for jobs here.