For Sale Oil Cap/Dipstick Removal Tool

IanM

Hey, guys! I've recently been pretty frustrated with other renters at my flight school over tightening oil caps, so I made a tool to get the dipstick loose. I designed it so that you can only turn it one way -- this way, chronic over tigheteners can't use it to crank the cap on impossibly tight. It's worked on all of the Lycomings I've tested it on (O-320, IO-360).

It's currently 3D printed out of ULTEM 9085 (click for material data sheet). If I can figure it out, I might try to get it injection molded eventually.

Anyway -- if anyone is interested in one, I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping. I've got 5 total, might print more if there's interest. Photos of the tool are attached.

Attachments

brocklee9000

What's the cost? And what are the dimensions? I'm guessing from your profile pic that you also fly 172s. I hate when my students or another pilot overtightens. The cap always seems to be turned at just the right angle and is far enough down into the nacelle so it's difficult to get leverage sometimes. It's tall enough that the bar is above the nacelle, I presume?

Houston

I'm reminded of a time long ago when I changed the oil in my car following a filling station oil change. The oil filter was screwed on so tightly that I managed to tear it apart while trying to remove it. Then "there I was" with a car that no longer had any oil in it and enough of an old filter left in place that I couldn't put a new filter on the car. I did eventually get the old destroyed filter off and complete the job, but it was long and frustrating. Why some people insist on torqueing things down in excess of any reasonable amount is beyond me.

IanM

Right now, cost is about $15 per. I was able to cash in a favor to get them printed, so I don't feel right charging for them outside of shipping cost -- more just looking to get some feedback on the design & hopefully be helpful.

And what are the dimensions?
I don't have the CAD model in front of me right now, but the handle is 4 inches wide & the total height is probably closer to 5 inches. The base is 1.5 inches in diameter at the bottom.

I'm guessing from your profile pic that you also fly 172s. I hate when my students or another pilot overtightens. The cap always seems to be turned at just the right angle and is far enough down into the nacelle so it's difficult to get leverage sometimes. It's tall enough that the bar is above the nacelle, I presume?
You guessed it! I know the feeling. It's been added to the checklist at my school in giant red letters to not over tighten, but it still happens all the time. Yep, the bar is about the nacelle. The height felt right to me on the 172s and Arrow I've tested it on.

I think that’s a great idea. Well done!
Thanks very much!

I'm reminded of a time long ago when I changed the oil in my car following a filling station oil change. The oil filter was screwed on so tightly that I managed to tear it apart while trying to remove it. Then "there I was" with a car that no longer had any oil in it and enough of an old filter left in place that I couldn't put a new filter on the car. I did eventually get the old destroyed filter off and complete the job, but it was long and frustrating. Why some people insist on torqueing things down in excess of any reasonable amount is beyond me.
That sounds nightmarish! The CFI I did my private with joked that pilots tend to be chronic over tighteners, telling a story about someone who destroyed 2 out of 3 of their tie downs because they wouldn't stop cranking on the ratchet. :rolleyes:

fast89pony

At least you didn't get home and open your hood and find the dipstick laying across the motor.

Ugh. Been there. I even got one of those “oil filter removal” wrenches. That just ripped the top off.