Oh Kalitta

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
Is there a pic? Article said two blown out tires, were they deflated or completely torn off and down the rims, the struts?

The airplane can fly with 2 blown tires, right?
Yeah, 'cause as you hit a freaking DUMPSTER... at night... I'm... uhm, sure you know precisely what just happened and what just caused that horrible banging, tearing, screetching sound you're hearing and shuddering sense you're feeling... @IMJUSTHATGOODwith11000feetleft

Edit: sorry, I just have to say it one more time... a DUMPSTER! at night! on a runway!

2nd Edit: ...at LAX!

Last edited:

Stone Cold

There sure are a lot of experts who would've been able to avoid this and/or fly this. I don't have pics, but I've seen them. That had to be one crazy, noisy, "what the hell just happened?" cockpit. Good job to the crew that managed a high speed abort due to a freaking dumpster on the runway.

Last edited:

mrivc211

When it takes out the nose gear and you have a strut scraping along the runway, I believe that constitutes “above 80 it’s we will abort for engine fire, failure or THE AIRPLANE WONT FLY.”
I wasn't questioning the decision to abort. I was referring to the bad luck they've had in recent years with stuff happening at high speed.

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
I wasn't questioning the decision to abort. I was referring to the bad luck they've had in recent years with stuff happening at high speed.
Gotta know when to hold 'em... know when to fold 'em. Know when to go around... when to abort.

On a warm summer's eve
On a plane bound for nowhere
I met up with the Captain
We were both too tired to sleep
So we took turns a-starin'
Out the window at the darkness
The boredom overtook us,
And he began to speak

He said, "Son, I've made a life
Out of readin' runways' faces
Knowin' what the odds were
By the way they laid their pave
So if you don't mind me sayin'
This runway's out of aces
For a taste of your whiskey
I'll give you some advice"

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to a-bort
And know when to rise
You never count your V-1
When you're sittin' in the cockpit
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the stoppin's done.

Last edited:

Boris Badenov

Someone should definitely do *something*, Captain!
There sure are a lot of experts who would've been able to avoid this and/or fly this.
Well, unsurprisingly, there's at least one. "OK, you hear a huge rending crash, you've clearly hit something big" sounds like something a check airman would say if the sim wasn't working properly and he wanted to induce a high speed abort. But he wasn't counting on there being an Expert in the audience.

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
Well, unsurprisingly, there's at least one. "OK, you hear a huge rending crash, you've clearly hit something big" sounds like something a check airman would say if the sim wasn't working properly and he wanted to induce a high speed abort. But he wasn't counting on there being an Expert in the audience.
:bounce:

I LUV you, bro!

@literallyLOLing

knot4u

Repeat Offender
The winds in Southern California that particular night were brutal. I heard about an airplane in a hangar with open doors that was damaged by a piece of GSE that was grabbed by the wind and sent on a collision course resulting in a penetration into the pressure vessel. Those really strong gusts were localized but there were many of them. As a homeowner here those winds can make it hard to get a good nights sleep.

The winds in Southern California that particular night were brutal. I heard about an airplane in a hangar with open doors that was damaged by a piece of GSE that was grabbed by the wind and sent on a collision course resulting in a penetration into the pressure vessel. Those really strong gusts were localized but there were many of them. As a homeowner here those winds can make it hard to get a good nights sleep.
Santa Anna winds? Was rwy 06 and the 07's in use?

TWP

OK, I'll call Shenanigans on this one. "Oh, X" should be reserved for circumstances in which X is at least conceivably at fault. That said, maybe the dumpster came from the Atlas parking spots? Weird that it wasn't on fire, though.
Agreed. Report should state, pilots perform rejected takeoff perfectly and handle the situation exactly as they should, at 3AM no less.