oh Delta

Louie1975

It’s part of a vast YouTube conspiracy.
Nah...just some transmissions don’t make it to LiveATC. Which leads to YouTube comments like ‘they didn’t say what they were supposed too!!!’. I haven’t read the comments, but someone who did said VAS Aviation replied numerous times to some people pointing out what was missing from the clip.

Richman

Why the Virgin Alaska kids so bothered by Delta?
They were told forever that SEA was a dark, dank place everyone left in 1977, and that only they had the secret sauce to find the airport.

Then in 2008, the NWA guys pointed out that as part of the deal, there was a SEA crew base and the company was like “um, hey, we can do something with this” and it wasn’t an exclusive playground any longer.

It does kinda suck to find out that your secret decoder ring that took 6 to 8 weeks to get delivered was just a crummy ad for Ovaltine.

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
They’ll beat anything you’ll see on a TV “news” report about aviation. LOL.

Still love the guy who trolled the reporter and told her the flux capacitor failed on his airplane.

The hero we didn’t know we needed... :)
That wasn't a troll. That was a diligent, but slightly confused student at a finer 141 institution of higher learning. ;)

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
"you said hold short but I read back cleared to cross so I did"

The most Delta s&%t ever...
Carry a clipboard, wear a double breast, and speak with a tone of confident assurance and you can get into almost any secured location... or out of almost any pickle. ;)

PositionAndHold

Stone Cold

Actually if you go to 3:40’ish into this link he actually reads back the hold short instructions. No YouTube conspiracy. They F’d up. Like really. For reals. We really shouldn’t be making jokes. This will be taught in school houses. This could’ve been bad.
There's something missing...either he was remembering talking to ground, another tower controller, or something. I never heard her ask him for the gate number and that conversation supposedly happened, because both of them bring it up.

You can tell the scanner they use monitors different frequencies because of the different controller voices. There's a guy at the beginning, and 2 different female voices. I'll wait to see if there's ever a report on this one. We're missing some of the conversation.

PositionAndHold

There's something missing...either he was remembering talking to ground, another tower controller, or something. I never heard her ask him for the gate number and that conversation supposedly happened, because both of them bring it up.

You can tell the scanner they use monitors different frequencies because of the different controller voices. There's a guy at the beginning, and 2 different female voices. I'll wait to see if there's ever a report on this one. We're missing some of the conversation.
I get what you saying but man you can hear the confusion later on. Even if we missed something on the scanner at some point. They did read back hold short, even if it was the first call.

You just always have to have your head in the game.

Going into a busy NorCal airport last night on final. I’m flying. The guy I’m flying with (a whole other story) says there’s some one on the runway!? I said it’s a kingair she just cleared to take off. “Oh”. Completely not listening and painting that mental picture.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
Well, he didn't read it back, and she didn't reiterate that she needs the read back of the hold short instruction, so is that a "push"? Ultimately I think it is ATC's job to ensure they hear the proper read back, so I'd actually guess mostly on her, correct?

To much BS at a lot of airports about gates and ramp entries etc. The technology exists where the controllers could see this information and gate status without having to ask and without the FO being on another radio etc.
You'd be surprised how often planes arrive at airports like JFK,EWR,SFO,LAX,ect with no gate assigned yet haha. And you'd also be surprised how many airports ramp\ground don't know the gate at upon arrival often times as it does not show on their equipment.

The few times I saw reports about no-calls into the ramp resulting in a "golden tow bar"(pushback required to get the plane un-stuck) after they went nose-to-nose around the terminal, the pilots often said they were distracted by juggling between ground the the company radio. Especially when SFO was landing 19s, pilots would often land and have about 15 seconds between the ground hand off and ramp entry, and often hadn't been able to contact the company on ACARS and had no gate, so they'd just roll on in and sometimes it worked out, sometimes it did not. Yet, the reports always seemed to blame the pilots while I would argue that the communication with the company is to blame. I'd also suggested that since inbound aircraft always have priority anyway, that we pre-assign entry to pilots either via ACARS or by procedure and ask them just to check in when they can on entry to see if we need them to stop without forcing them to fumble frequencies at a bad time. But no one ever wanted any of my logic there, too much work vs pointing a finger and closing the case.

I agree 100% that the system is archaic given the workload for pilots and ATC at busy hub airports.

Last edited:

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Well, he didn't read it back, and she didn't reiterate that she needs the read back of the hold short instruction,
yea he did. Before the clip starts. in the vas cideo jt was the second time she told him to hold short. Listen to the ATC live link above your comment

Last edited:

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member

in that atclive clip there’s like a 45 second dead spot which seems to be where the second hold short/gate question clip happens.

Stone Cold

I get what you saying but man you can hear the confusion later on. Even if we missed something on the scanner at some point. They did read back hold short, even if it was the first call.

You just always have to have your head in the game.

Going into a busy NorCal airport last night on final. I’m flying. The guy I’m flying with (a whole other story) says there’s some one on the runway!? I said it’s a kingair she just cleared to take off. “Oh”. Completely not listening and painting that mental picture.
All I'm saying is we don't have all the information. Yes, they were initially given a hold short and it was read back. Then There's silence as the scanner went around the frequencies. Then the argument about a discussion that we didn't hear. He thinks she said cleared to cross during that discussion, and she thinks she said hold short. We don't know as we didn't hear it.

I will say they didn't have their head in the game when she clears another airplane to take off on the same runway they're crossing. I think that's a bigger foul, until we hear the rest of the discussion.

Always be listening as you're crossing a runway!!!

jtrain609

Uniting the black vote.
All I'm saying is we don't have all the information. Yes, they were initially given a hold short and it was read back. Then There's silence as the scanner went around the frequencies. Then the argument about a discussion that we didn't hear. He thinks she said cleared to cross during that discussion, and she thinks she said hold short. We don't know as we didn't hear it.

I will say they didn't have their head in the game when she clears another airplane to take off on the same runway they're crossing. I think that's a bigger foul, until we hear the rest of the discussion.

Different frequencies in JFK, they're unable to hear the other aircraft be cleared for takeoff.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member

takeoff clearance was on local control freq. Delta was on ground freq. different freqs and different controllers blended into same recording.

Stone Cold

in that atclive clip there’s like a 45 second dead spot which seems to be where the second hold short/gate question clip happens.
We just don't know what the other discussion was about gates/hold short or cleared to cross.

I will say, and I had it typed out before and deleted it, that I had a runway crossing "discussion" with ground a month ago in a large, brown, airport. We were coming out of the blocks, and given taxi instructions, including a runway crossing.

10 minutes later, when we finally reached the runway, I called to confirm "Connie xxx just confirm still cleared to cross." The controller shot back, in a very snotty way, "I already cleared you, affirm, cleared to cross."

I understand he didn't want to transmit again because the button is hard to push, but I, and the crew agreed, felt like it was a very long time between crossing clearance and us reaching the runway.

I can put up with attitude...work with a Russian some time and you'll see, but I didn't understand the stupidity of attitude over a runway crossing clearance.

It was the middle of the night, and starting to get busy, btw.