Oh Delta II

mrivc211

Would it vaporize by the time it hits the ground?
I breath more fuel at my local Costco gas station than those kids probably did. Media looking for headlines, everyone wants to sue big pockets.

The pilots should have known better. Now the company has to deal with this crap. Go dump over the ocean

typhoonpilot

My question: What was the big hurry to get on the ground?

A B777 is certified for at least 180 ETOPS (not sure what Delta has). Sounds like engine surge or compressor stall that likely did not even require shutting down the engine, just pulling it back to idle. There is absolutely no need to be in a hurry in that situation. Even to properly run the checklists; inform crew and pax; set-up for an overweight landing or jettison down to MLW; calculate performance; calculate appropriate autobrake setting (see the picture of the PAL B777 with 14 flat tires to see why); etc is going to take in excess of 30 minutes.

That this happened less than 2 months after PAL boned up their very similar event really makes one wonder what the heck the training departments at these airlines are teaching regarding decision making and CRM in emergency situations.

Cherokee_Cruiser

A B777 is certified for at least 180 ETOPS (not sure what Delta has). Sounds like engine surge or compressor stall that likely did not even require shutting down the engine, just pulling it back to idle. There is absolutely no need to be in a hurry in that situation. Even to properly run the checklists; inform crew and pax; set-up for an overweight landing or jettison down to MLW; calculate performance; calculate appropriate autobrake setting (see the picture of the PAL B777 with 14 flat tires to see why); etc is going to take in excess of 30 minutes.

That this happened less than 2 months after PAL boned up their very similar event really makes one wonder what the heck the training departments at these airlines are teaching regarding decision making and CRM in emergency situations.
Is that the PAL 777 at LAX? What autobrake setting did they use?

typhoonpilot

Yes the PAL LAX incident.

Not sure what AB setting they used for sure, but my guess is 4. Untrained pilots tend to think, “I’m overweight and I didn’t calculate landing distance so I better go with higher than normal setting.” Forgetting about the fuse plug melt zone that they just placed themselves in by using the higher setting when overweight.

Flyinthrew

That’s a pretty good document. In the Navy and Marine Corps it’s 6k AGL or above and it’s regulatory in nature. In my aircraft we bias very much towards dumping in non-normal situations, but it’s usually for landing distance rather than landing over MLW. Maybe this crew (that was loaded to go China) did the calculations on landing distance and/or brake energy a little late in the game and made a tough risk decision based on that. Sometimes there’s a donkey wearing a sombrero behind all three doors in the aviation version of Let’s Make a Deal.

AAPalmTree

Exactly what I was wondering. IF we are going to armchair QB:
it sounds like those guys are a little amped up on the radio. Amped up = hurried/bad decision.

I flew with a P3 guy that said “if a master warning/caution goes off we’re gonna do what we did in the P3. We’re gonna sit on our hands for 20 seconds so we don’t do something stupid and stupid is what I do best.”

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Although I can’t seem to find it now, I would have sworn the FAA reg was fuel dumping only allowed above 10k when over land (emergencies exempt of course) but now all I can find is you must be 2000’ above the highest obstacle or any traffic below you.

Autothrust Blue

"Are you out of your mind, Ryan?”
Exactly what I was wondering. IF we are going to armchair QB:
it sounds like those guys are a little amped up on the radio. Amped up = hurried/bad decision.

I flew with a P3 guy that said “if a master warning/caution goes off we’re gonna do what we did in the P3. We’re gonna sit on our hands for 20 seconds so we don’t do something stupid and stupid is what I do best.”
When I am Supreme World Dictator, the emergency is over once you can breathe, and ascertain that you have the plane under control and not on fire.